• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bestop soft top vs Rampage soft top vs Tom’s bronco parts soft top. Need help choosin

zfbailey23

Need some help from classic Bronco Nation, I have a 76. Here is some info to help clarify my position.
- I will be putting a roll bar in
- I have front and rear pre-runner bumpers w a tire swing on the rear.
- currently have full doors & a hard top ( its for sale if anyone is interested, I may have to scrap it if I don’t get some one to take it) I’m not sure if I will be going to door inserts and soft doors yet.
-the TBP & Rampage is $600 + shipping
-Bestop is $860 + shipping
- I looked at BC Broncos soft top but I’m not a fan bc the hard ware doesn’t fold down.

Any info would be great help. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tom's has their own Soft Top? I thought that was a Rampage as well.

A Soft Top will not fold down with a Pre-Made Family cage, that's correct.

Have a Family Cage built for your application and it will. I currently have 3 Broncos with Rampage Soft Tops that fold down with a "Family Cage". I recommend these tops as well.

The Roll Cage pictured is made from DOM Tubing. The rear bars are angled forward some to help clear the Bows on the Soft Top so the top can fold down flat. This cage also clears a Hard Top.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco - Roll Cage 2.jpg
    77 Bronco - Roll Cage 2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
zfbailey23

zfbailey23

A Soft Top will not fold down with a Pre-Made Family cage, that's correct.

Have a Family Cage built for your application and it will. I currently have 3 Broncos with Rampage Soft Tops that fold down with a "Family Cage". I recommend these tops as well.

Tom's has their own Soft Top? I thought that was a Rampage as well.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. TBP says “TBP Softtop” but it looks exactly like a rampage and I think it is.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Interesting. I had the WH San Felipe Family Cage on my 70 Bronco. I had both the Rampage and the Bestop on it at some point and I was able to fold both down with no issues. In terms of the tops themselves, the bestop is way better in terms of construction quality but it does sit higher in the center and I don't think it looks as good. Also, I think the Rampage looks better as a safari top.

Attachments

• IMG_9902.jpg
    IMG_9902.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_9955.jpg
    IMG_9955.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1649 2.jpg
    IMG_1649 2.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 310
OP
OP
zfbailey23

zfbailey23

Interesting. I had the WH San Felipe Family Cage on my 70 Bronco. I had both the Rampage and the Bestop on it at some point and I was able to fold both down with no issues. In terms of the tops themselves, the bestop is way better in terms of construction quality but it does sit higher in the center and I don't think it looks as good. Also, I think the Rampage looks better as a safari top.

Thanks for he info. Very helpful. Do you feel the bestop is worth the extra $260 in comparison to the rampage? Thanks

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Ignoring looks which is a personal thing, I would say the bestop has a better frame and the material seemed thicker. Not sure if thats worth + $260 or not.
One thing I didn't mention is that the Rampage top is much easier to put down and back up because it pops right out / in the front riser bracket.

OP
OP
zfbailey23

zfbailey23

Ignoring looks which is a personal thing, I would say the bestop has a better frame and the material seemed thicker. Not sure if thats worth + $260 or not.
One thing I didn't mention is that the Rampage top is much easier to put down and back up because it pops right out / in the front riser bracket.

Thanks, about the riser, is that necessary for all soft tops? I personally don’t like the look of it. Can a drop bracket work instead?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I'm with you on that. As far as I know, they all require a riser. If you don't like the riser look, you will hate the bestop riser, its probably an inch higher than the rampage riser.

OP
OP
zfbailey23

zfbailey23

I'm with you on that. As far as I know, they all require a riser. If you don't like the riser look, you will hate the bestop riser, its probably an inch higher than the rampage riser.

Why do they sell the drop brackets, if you need an enormous riser for the front of the top? Those risers are so silly looking. Why would you want to add 6 more inches to that “sail” of front windshield.

crankman

I have a Bestop on my 76. Been on there since 2008 still looks pretty good, zippers still work on the windows. It does flat around a bit in a few spots on the interstate at 65mph but overall I have been happy with it. I have a roll cage but never have tried to fold it down so cant answer that question. Dont like the sun beating on my head I guess.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Agreed.... Can't go wrong with either Rampage or Bestop.. Depends on what you want to spend..

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I have the TBP on my 76. Very happy with it. Pretty simple to install. I like the fit and finish over the best tops but that is my opinion. Also, there was something different about the best tops that had to do with the tailgate. But can’t remember what it was. I’ll post if I can think what it was.

Attachments

• F22441AF-5808-45D0-ACD0-147E76DADF4E.jpg
    F22441AF-5808-45D0-ACD0-147E76DADF4E.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 242
  • CA9E201E-76FE-4D8E-9498-BE2D618FE8AA.jpg
    CA9E201E-76FE-4D8E-9498-BE2D618FE8AA.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 200

matts460

We went with Best top because the riser lets you retain the wiper motor cover and sunvisers that was important to us, plus the best top does not require any drilling to tailgate and you can still open tailgate without disturbing top, if you get groceries with it often like we do its a big plus. Also only had to drill like 4 small holes, easy! Also top comes right off just slides out of windshield riser channel, and the riser had enough space to mount support rods from rollbar to windshield riser instead of windshield frame the riser is aluminum and very strong. Funny I never thought the riser looked bad at all, its not that tall and looks better than wiper motor sticking up! Didn't mind that top didn't look quit as cool as rampage, but nothing looks cooler than doors off and top off anyway! Its worth the money quality top. Not a hard thing but if top is to tall you can release door frame rods with push of button and put downward along inside of door b pillar area and it will let the middle bar fall down against the rollbar then you fit. Also I used factory weather strip ontop of bedsides under softop frame fits great and water tight at car wash! just take care to line it all up properly, Otherwise its just metal frame sitting on top of metal bed side no seal there, the riser has its own seal. I suppose a factory seal would work ok too if need be.

Last edited:

Rocking Bronc66

I dont know about the best top but my rampage has plastic zippers for the windows. The first top lasted 3 months and a zipper fell apart. The warranty top has lasted 3 years and the back window zipper failed when I put the top on for winter a couple days ago.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I dont know about the best top but my rampage has plastic zippers for the windows. The first top lasted 3 months and a zipper fell apart. The warranty top has lasted 3 years and the back window zipper failed when I put the top on for winter a couple days ago.

Always something ain't it..

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I've had the Bestop for over a decade now and it works great! My only Complaint is the frame around the door can scuff the paint on the door frame...
Also, I have a modified WH Family Cage and I put it up and down all the time.