• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raptor Liner this weekend any last minute advice

broncobuddha

Hi all. Sorry to bring this back to life but I've been searching Raptor threads.

The project: Respray my 73 Bronco top.

Where I'm at:

This was a barn find top from years ago that I had previously sanded and rattle canned it with white tractor paint. Man am I a dumbass. Dirty and will never come clean.

I've sanded the whole thing with 80 grit, bare metal in some spots, then moved up to 180 and hit it with two coats of rattle Rustoleum self etching primer.

The plan from here was to use Rustoleum rattle can (don't have a gun/booth etc) truck bed coating but then I saw Raptor at the local parts store, I started researching and here I am.

At this point, it's masked off and ready to go and I was considering the roll on but it looks like the great consensus is to spray.

Should I sand the self etching primer with 180 again or move up to 320 or 400 before the Raptor?

Also, since it's just the outside of the top, any guesstimates on how much product I'll need?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I didn't sand or scuff the etching primer. I scuffed the POR-15 and original paint. Only 2 issues I've had were in a tight corner were I didn't clean as well as I thought I did. Maybe a 1-1.5 inch spot each corner lifted. Easy fix with a raptor spray can.

I've since did the hood on my Samurai. 2 hunting seasons later it's still sticking no issues.

Upol states: The 1 US Quart Raptor Kit is ideal for smaller applications and touch-ups. Each kit contains 1 sprayable quart of Raptor for about 30 square feet of coverage.

Also depends on how thick you spray it. I did the whole inside of the Sam with 4 quarts. 2 coats and has maybe 1/3 bottle left which I just prayed randomly to finish off

Tim

broncobuddha

Thanks, Tim.

So, since I sanded at 180grit then self etch primered, I don't need to sand it at all? That would certainly save time and my arms, lol.

Hoping maybe 2 quarts might do a top (just on the outside)? Maybe not. Just looked at their site and they quote 4L for a 6 foot truck bed, which might be close to the coverage area I'm doing on the top.

I need to read up on flash times, presuming I'll most likely do 2 coats.

I did the underside in black POR 15 and I'll most likely just leave it like that.

I'm in TN so it's cold and dry here so flash times will probably be longer.

If there's any leftover, I may do my stock bumpers and they look awful.

Last edited:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just the top above the drip rail, or the sides and outside of lift gate?

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I sprayed an old Toyota pickup cab and the owner bought the 4 quart kit. Used 3 quarts on the back of the cab, inside back wall, floor and underside of the cab plus some diamond plate for kick panels on the bottom of the doors. Reserving the 4th quart for the bottom sides of the cab and bed to act as a chip guard when we get that far along. 2 quarts may get you where you need to be but it sucks to run out.

Attachments

• cab_paint.JPEG
    cab_paint.JPEG
    203.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6264.JPG
    IMG_6264.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6265.JPG
    IMG_6265.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6267.JPG
    IMG_6267.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6268.JPG
    IMG_6268.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6269.JPG
    IMG_6269.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 19

broncobuddha

Nice!

Yeah I'm thinking 2 liters might do 2 coats on the top and the bumpers. But since I need the gun and everything I'll likely get the 4l kit.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
How large of a compressor do you need to apply this? Thx
A pancake will not cut it unless you plan to shoot just a small part or three or maybe doing some touch up. It can't keep up. I shot mine at 60psi but it's more the CFM's going through the gun. Pressure just changes the pattern. I used the Upol gun that came with the kit. My little pancake can't keep up with my finishing staple gun when putting up trim.

My shop compressor is a 80 ga, 2 stage Quincy. I was shooting in the Arkansas summer heat so once I pulled he trigger....It was go till I was done. I wouldn't use anything less than a 30gal compressor JMO.

Tim

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
A pancake will not cut it unless you plan to shoot just a small part or three or maybe doing some touch up. It can't keep up. I shot mine at 60psi but it's more the CFM's going through the gun. Pressure just changes the pattern. I used the Upol gun that came with the kit. My little pancake can't keep up with my finishing staple gun when putting up trim.

My shop compressor is a 80 ga, 2 stage Quincy. I was shooting in the Arkansas summer heat so once I pulled he trigger....It was go till I was done. I wouldn't use anything less than a 30gal compressor JMO.

Tim
Good excuse for me to step up my compressor game. Thx!

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used a worn out 5HP/30 gallon unit. Seemed to work fine.

broncobuddha

Has anyone actually rolled or brushed Raptor? Just curious how different things he finish is.

I keep wanting to roll just to cut down on the mess in my garage but it seems like spraying will be loads faster.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I've seen it rolled. It doesn't look the same. If it's under the carpet it really doesn't matter but you do have to deal with it in the grooved area of the tailgate.

broncobuddha

I'm doing the top so rolling the large area on the very top seemed like the better play.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Way cool....I'll pick a couple up......Need to go by auto paint store anyway...

Yep, I ordered an 8 litter kit just to be sure I have enough. I'll use the leftovers towards the Bronco. Yes, full on "bunny" suit is the plan. I got a respirator and face shield. My wife tells me I got the sh!tty shoes department covered. Told me to wear any pair I have. Not sure what to make of that?

Hope to seam seal this afternoon.......

Tim
If your shoes are that bad when done spray them they will last another 5 years or so.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
from the time you start mixing the stuff and clean up you will be under an hour. compressor too small rent one. its so easy you will be so worked up and then the end comes and the Adrenalin drop comes and your whipped. not one person i talked to said they wouldn't do it again if they needed to. its just messy and you cant remove the over spray. cover your stuff with cheap plastic drop cloths and card board on the floor and a hand held cardboard spray shield to block over spray. if your doing the bed spray up under the dash and under the bed rails first. I put a strip of cardboard on the floor then sprayed under the bed rails and then removed the card board and sprayed the floor. I needed to be on the floor to spray under the bed rails. so the card board help keep me and the bed clean.. especially if you want 2 coats under the bed rails strip the masking tape while wet. professionals use masking tape with a wire cutting edge so they don't have to remove the tape early but if you dont the tape edge glues to the liner then you remove it the edge sticks and leave a masking tape edge exposed you cant easily remove.