• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

romegadave's resurrection of El Chapo

OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

After getting some help installing the radius arms I began to have some ignition issues--pertronix/coil install and then a burned wiring harness and then the replacement of the voltage regulator was able to drive it around.

Been a while since I have driven an older vehicle and I'm not used to power steering on them so the ride this morning was fun to say the least---no doubt it has a need for a front end alignment after the 2.5" lift and who knows if the wheels are balanced anyway but hey I'm just thrilled to be riding it around!!

Before:

Attachments

• bronc1.JPG
    bronc1.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

And how it stands now---will plan on stock rims and new tires by Friday I hope

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

photos don't really show a great deal of difference unless you stand beside it I suppose but the main thing is I'm happy to be rolling around :)

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

Looking good Dave!!! What size tires ya' going with???;D;D;D

Ben I'm modeling it after your "Greener" so I recall you having 31's???? Still concerned about my heighth on the rear end so will see what we see at the tire store---will post up pics once they're on.

Ben, Kev13, Paul from WH, JAFO and many others have been great inspiration with their help---its got a long way to go but feels damn good to move it around (even if it does want to sway into the ditch every once in a while).

OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

Thanks Rusty--printed that off--I haven't forgot you for your moral support when I was lying down in the dirt working underneath it!! Beers to you, Dave

OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

That bumper is cool

I really thought someone would say "what the hell?" LOL
PO must have wanted a good place for tools and wasp nests--If I had a winch I guess I would have to cut off the box but I imagine it would make sense to buy new---either way the grey color is a tip of the hat to Slednut who chose a nice grey and I had to follow suit

OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

Went Saturday to the tire store to pick her up. It had sat in their shop all night and was raining. Those little 12" windshield wipers just can't keep up. Will have to do a search and see what others are doing as an upgrade.

Got home and shut her off to unlock the gate. Then she didn't start. No clicking no motor turning over no nothing. Tried to feel around the wires under the dash and then I popped open the hood. Didn't see anything out of place---went back and it fired up--put it under a shed till the rain stopped. Next day still the same issue---opened the hood and checked it later--Fired up! So I thought ok has to be a couple of things:
1. ignition switch
2. loose wire/loose ground
3. starter
4. moisture under the distributor cap

Having cranked it on a nice day I really thought #4 but then it did the same thing at the end of the day after having run for 20 minutes or so (idle)

Today I crawled underneath and hit the starter with a hammer and noticed starter bolt on the bottom was a little loose--retightened but still no deal--battery has 12.5 volts

Have to do a little searching and see what I can come up with---have not jumped it across the solenoid switch yet--anyways some tire pics

Nasty day so of course ended up getting a little mud on em before I could take a pretty new tire pic

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

Course I had to take a shot or two for Ben

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 42

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Well look at you after your first year. You have graduated from timid Bronco Mechanic to Weekend warrior. Get your butt in gear putting in your concrete slab. Great to see the Bronco up and running.

As for your no start issue check your neutral safety switch. If it wont start from no response from ignition switch, wiggle around your transmission shifter and then try again. If that works check into a switch adjustment. Sometimes on my automatic I have to push up on the shift lever.

OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

Ha ha yes I'm looking a little better rustytruck. I used to tinker with an 70 F100 and then an old land cruiser so am relearning a little on this one. Will put the concrete on the to do list.

Ok so the neutral safety switch is not just for automatics? I was reading about that last week (seems like jckyss was mentioning in a thread) some reason I thought it was exclusive to autos--gotcha!!-Will try this in the morning-I don't doubt it being loose since this ol baby does rattle around a bit having not been on the road in a while---felt so damn good driving it- I have got to get it going on a dry day so I can see other drivers drooling--have to say I did get my first offer on it at the tire store so that made me feel good about being a EB owner

still going to consider a gear reduction starter (if needed) since I've heard good things on here

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I'm afraid they're not very special---Lion Sport A/T but they fit my budget for now and like them better than what I had

I like the tread pattern. Probably a nice quiet tire but still has some grip.

On that starting problem, my 77 did the same thing. It was a bad negative battery cable. It was corroded inside the insulation and pulled right out of the crimped connector at the engine block.

Good luck with it.....

OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

I like the tread pattern. Probably a nice quiet tire but still has some grip.

On that starting problem, my 77 did the same thing. It was a bad negative battery cable. It was corroded inside the insulation and pulled right out of the crimped connector at the engine block.

Good luck with it.....

Looked at 32's Slowleak and liked them but wasn't sure they would fit so went this route---another nasty rain today/tonight so will try to fit checking some things before going to work tomorrow--thanks for the suggestions, dave

OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

As mentioned will check more tomorrow---if it does have a frozen starter and not the ignition switch/solenoid etc etc---can anyone recommend a gear reduction starter that I could get off of Amazon????? Thank you so much--Dave

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Looking good. Will El Chapo make it to Super Celebration this year? Ben can show you the way there.

OP
OP
romegadave

romegadave

Looking good. Will El Chapo make it to Super Celebration this year? Ben can show you the way there.

Want to go bad but have to figure out my ride since my old Buick won't make it and doubtful if El Chapo can make it tho---would like to meet everyone who has been helpful. Hope to meet you Stout!

Ah well it looks like I have the electrical woes. Jumped the solenoid and sure enough it started right up--checked fuses and had a 15amp bad on the wipers/blinkers so need to figure that one out. A little corroded on the prongs going into the volt regulator so will check on that too. Have not looked under the distributor cap yet to check on pertronix.

Still much to do by continuing my search for the electrical gremlin but will continue poking around under the hood.A new wiring harness is a little out of my expected budget at the moment and way out my expertise but will do some research to find out who has the Centech at the best price and what is involved.

Ain't it a bitch to have something you want to drive the hell out of and just can't get there? Ah well...with Broncos you gotta earn it.