• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New member checking in. 1974 Project

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey thanks, I've got a 74' that I'm debating which way to go on the quarters.
They're cut and I have new flares as well as new quarters??? The welds have got to be ground either way, your way looks easier!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
N

Nemisus

Loc.
North Bay, CA
Essentially I took some magnetic tape and used it as a guide on all edges of the quarter. Then fired of the plasma cutter and started cutting. That left just enough of the quarter behind. As mentioned before this does leave more work in clean up but I am really new at this stuff so I might not be the best for inspiration. LOL. I am happy to help though.

You really don't need a plasma cutter its just faster and more fun. A cut-off wheel will do just fine just don't go too deep with a fresh wheel.

Cheers

Nemi

OP
OP
N

Nemisus

Loc.
North Bay, CA
I certainly don't blame you for hating to clean up spot welds. Definitely time consuming...

I've got so much work on my 74 and time I can afford at the moment so I don't really mind it much.

Best of luck on your build though.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
One thing at a time man, one thing at a time..

Need to do a tad bit of trimming on mine too, get some rubbing on off camber trails

OP
OP
N

Nemisus

Loc.
North Bay, CA
One thing at a time man, one thing at a time..

Need to do a tad bit of trimming on mine too, get some rubbing on off camber trails

I hear that! Now that I have the quarters off what I'd really like to do is raise the body off just high enough so I can get a good look at the frame and get some cleaning done.

I wanted to originally take it completely off but I don't have the space for it. Anyone ever done anything like this? I know bracing is still needed for any amount of lifting over a body lift but it sounds simple enough.