• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mint 400 Movie plus Vintage Stroppe Pics

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a much better way of saying it!

Todd Z.

Gracias, amigo! Not trying to be a turkey, just sayin'. haha.

Man, Jeff love this thread. So great to see these pics. Keep them coming. Will try to supplement where I can and see what sort of a big picture of this race we can come up with!

Really wanted to run "Blue Torch" our current NORRA ride on Propane for NORRA. But time/logistics for the first race didn't allow that to happen.

Not sure if I've ever mentioned it in detail to you Jeff, but the Kaysinger Racing Blue Torch was (we think) a Stroppe support vehicle. No gas tanks, no filler necks, but signs of strap mounted propane tanks with fillers in the rear bumper.... please let me know if you come across pics of any Reef Aqua '69 Sport Broncos with propane power in your pics. It would have had a Stroppe cage (comp, but with windshield frame), Stroppe axles and racer trusses and dual shocks, bumper braces, and steering wheel. But never Stroppe colors.....

Attachments

• DSC00433.jpg
    DSC00433.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 154

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pic 7 from the 1969 Mexican 1000 is for sure Ray Harvick's Bronco, which by the 1971 Mint was already in the hands of Bill Rush and is seen in background of pic 3 on Post 89. It already evolved a bit with him in that short time. It was one of the first 4 Stroppe Racers from the very early riverside days.

Pieces of this Bronco still exist today, somewhere in Arizona (hopefully anyway). Here's another pic from my files...

Attachments

• Ray Harvick.jpg
    Ray Harvick.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 148

House

Minutia Militia
Wow, sweet pic Andrew, new one to me.
Must be post race?
Beat truck, no helmet, and both have stogies in their mouth! Awesome.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Here are a few pics from the '71 Mint 400 (according to the slide box). I will post more later from that set of slides.

I don't know whose Bronco is shown with the large tank in the bed.

The fourth slide is the bank bracket being fitted up. I'll post more of that setup later.

(These probably mean more to propane fans than to anyone else.)

Take Care,

Jeff

I sure would like to see that 8MM film in the first pic, I also see the first "camel back" water system in the 2nd an 3rd pic.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
This is itself a piece of art.Wonder what happened to "Debbie"?:cool:

PICT0012.jpg
[/url]
upload a picture[/IMG]

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Stroppe was a big user of Thermos jugs in his race Broncos. Big Oly still has one in it and we have a basket to hold one that came with our racer.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
This is itself a piece if art.Wonder what happened to "Debbie"?

PICT0012.jpg
[/url]
upload a picture[/IMG]

It's still around somewhere. It showed up for sale a time or two in the late 90s/early 2000s and just sat - no one seemed to want it. I think the last time I saw it for sale they were asking $10k. With the resurgence of interest in vintage race vehicles in the past few years, someone would snatch it up at that price in a heartbeat if we could find it.

Todd Z.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice shot chief...

Pic 7 from the 1969 Mexican 1000 is for sure Ray Harvick's Bronco, which by the 1971 Mint was already in the hands of Bill Rush and is seen in background of pic 3 on Post 89. It already evolved a bit with him in that short time. It was one of the first 4 Stroppe Racers from the very early riverside days.

Pieces of this Bronco still exist today, somewhere in Arizona (hopefully anyway). Here's another pic from my files...

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Again,

The next slides that I grabbed were of Parnelli's propane rig build. I can't see a number on the side; but, Todd will probably have the detail in no time.

You can see the Impco converter and throttle body in the third picture in the engine compartment.

These are the pictures that really mean the most to me. These were also the motivation for converting our '71 to run on propane.

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0047.jpg
    PICT0047.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 170
  • PICT0046.jpg
    PICT0046.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 175
  • PICT0045.jpg
    PICT0045.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 161
  • PICT0044.jpg
    PICT0044.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
It amazes me the lengths they went to and the attention to detail in the engine compartment sheet metal work in some of the previous photos. I know Rod Hall's current racer they resurrected has the same type of sheet metal work done. Also how they made molds to box in the bed sides in the propane racer (like Big Oly). Initially that's a LOT of work! Although once you have the mold made it's easier to convert a truck or replace a panel. That may be the reason they did it that way. I don't know any other advantages of doing that right off hand other than to shield off the shock towers, but it sure has the cool factor if nothing else.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Again,

The next slides that I grabbed were of Parnelli's propane rig build. I can't see a number on the side; but, Todd will probably have the detail in no time.

You can see the Impco converter and throttle body in the third picture in the engine compartment.

These are the pictures that really mean the most to me. These were also the motivation for converting our '71 to run on propane.

Take Care,

Jeff

I think the first photo is Pony (since it's red) and the rest of the pics are of Big Oly (in pre-Oly Johnny Lightning/Crazy Colt livery).

Yes, it is amazing how much work they went through to fab all of that stuff. And it was only in there a short time. To the best of my knowledge, Oly only ran on propane maybe 1? 2? races. And then all that came out and the fuel cell went back in.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Half Cab,

Tasker posted a link to an article on Jalopnick on page 4 of this thread.

Here's the link he provided:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...alopnik.com/this-insane-off-...1000-451433443

There was a link in that article that wasn't real obvious that led to what appears to be the resurrection of the Condor. Here's the link:

http://www.webglider.com/terry/condor/

Take Care,

Jeff

That's the page I remember detailing the latest shots of the Condor. Sure wish it would pop up again.

Todd Z.

House

Minutia Militia
Looks like more '71 Mint 400 prep? Before the 45 number and Al Unsers name applied over Bill Stroppes?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Hey Half Cab,

Tasker posted a link to an article on Jalopnick on page 4 of this thread.

Here's the link he provided:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...alopnik.com/this-insane-off-...1000-451433443

There was a link in that article that wasn't real obvious that led to what appears to be the resurrection of the Condor. Here's the link:

http://www.webglider.com/terry/condor/

Take Care,

Jeff

Thanks for reposting the link don't know how I missed that when Tasker posted it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I think the first photo is Pony (since it's red) and the rest of the pics are of Big Oly (in pre-Oly Johnny Lightning/Crazy Colt livery).
Todd Z.

Great Eye.... can't get enuf here

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Guys,

You know your stuff!

I sure hope no one following this thread is OCD. If you are... the jumping around from different time periods must really be painful. If I was doing this the right way I should have worked with Todd and House to organize these by date before posting. (Or maybe jumping around makes it a little more interesting. lol)

Take Care,

Jeff

House

Minutia Militia
I am just an enthusiast... Todd and Andrew are the true historians. :cool:
The jumping around is still fun. I keep going back to a few in particular though.
There is a LOT to learn here, I love it!

broncojack

Contributor
What makes this thread Kick Azz is every picture is in color !!
All the old magazines that I have seen most photo's were always in black and white.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

I scanned the next four slides from the 71 Mint race. There's another slide of an engine/tranny (probably before or after a dyno run). Not sure if it's Parnelli's motor or not. (Sorry for the poor quality of the engine pic.)

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0048.jpg
    PICT0048.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 179
  • PICT0049.jpg
    PICT0049.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 189
  • PICT0050.jpg
    PICT0050.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 174