• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Core Support Numbers, Mystery Solved

broncojack

Contributor
For years I have been trying to find out what the hand righten numbers on the core support were meant to be. I first discovered the numbers on my unrestored ’74 Bronco back in 1988. The numbers are located behind the passenger headlight on the face of the core support.
I have seen core support numbers righten on plenty of other Bronco’s and other members have e-mailed photo’s of their numbers. I always thought it had something to do with the build sheet but could never prove it. Build sheets in Bronco’s are found in the interior usually under the floor mat. Only a handful of owners have found them, so I then started studying build sheets that C.B. members have found in their Bronco’s.

For the last 4-5 years I have been trying to find someone with a build sheet AND visible core support numbers. Finally someone has found both, Andy G. (Blue71)has. The pictures are hard to see but it confirmed my Theory. The core support numbers (2883) are the same as the “Rotation Number’’ on the build sheet.

I then started a search on Rotation Numbers on the net.
Here is what I found out ….

The rotation number is the order they come down the line in. They start at 0001 and go to 9999 then start all over again. This is done so a worker can find the car in various parts of the plant without looking at the VIN number. The vin AND rotation numbers are printed on a few papers taped to various parts of a car (front, back, sides and underbody/frame) that tell what options the vehicle takes to help the guys on the line, they are called teletypes. Its an in plant only number and means nothing when it leaves the factory.

These numbers were assigned to all of the vehicle’s built on the line. Once they got to 999 on the forms they just started over again at 001. 001 could have started down the final line (these rotation numbers were the second of two assigned to the car) at 2pm on a Thursday or 9am on a Monday, no way of telling. Just when ever the rotation started over. Same thing with the car that was 564th in the rotation - just a relative place keeper that allowed workers to identify the car and the parts that would go on it rather than use a sequential VIN number that would not be in any order during the build process.

So there you have it, Mystery Solved.

Attachments

• 7944-2-2.jpg
    7944-2-2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 7970.jpg
    7970.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Ah cool. I've noticed you querying threads every now and then for those numbers. I have the handwritten numbers on my core support, door jam, alas I don't have my build sheet.

mtp71174

Yes you are totally correct the engine line would have a teletype machine and the first operator on that line would hang a teletype sheet on the cradle and set the proper engine in it then all the other workers would build to it. The small parts paint would pick the fenders, hood and the grille for the broncos and send them down stairs to be assemble in a sub assemble area. Coming out of the paint trim's first operators would place them on all four sides for the workers, this was because the body would travel down a line then transverse side ways the travel up next line first line would be face forward then backward on the next line. All these teletypes where thin copy paper of the for no better term copies of the master teletype which was a pasteboard thickness that the inspectors used to check content and place their stamp on. This copy was later separated with other documents and archived to be able to go back on check build history and other data. I do not believe they were intend to go with the unit so much as it was just as easy just to throw the carpet over it, or leave its stuffed in the seat cushion. Note look on you glove box door or on the bottom edge of you dash board on the 1973 builds and you will see paint inspector stamp saying paint, month, year and the inspectors name like Jim Venattor who in later years was my; safety; rep.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
This story makes me want to pull the rubber mat out of my 69 and see if anything is under there!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have seen other painted numbers along with what looks like a date on the core support of several Denver Broncos. They don't correspond to VIN sequence and are probably not rotation numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_20120417_161149.jpg
    IMG_20120417_161149.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 129

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Jack and Andy for finally getting the conclusion to the core support numbers...ie Rotation Number! I have noticed the number there for years and figured it was something like that, but not conclusive with anything since it never matched the vin.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very cool info! Thanks Jack & Andy for figuring that out. Here's mine before & after I cleaned it.

Attachments

• 100_0886.jpg
    100_0886.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_1870.jpg
    100_1870.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_1880.jpg
    100_1880.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 88

Lawndart

Loc.
Note look on you glove box door or on the bottom edge of you dash board on the 1973 builds and you will see paint inspector stamp saying paint, month, year and the inspectors name like Jim Venattor who in later years was my; safety; rep.

Here is my inspector stamp
32926785901_b813debcfb_c_d.jpg

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great Find Jack. Finally. Interesting...what color is Andy's Bronco that has the super clear 2883 on its support? Or is that the support. Looks like it has a super grungy coat of paint, yet the white is super clear?? Not saying anything, just curious as I've only ever seen them on regular topcoat, not undercoat or thick paint like pictured.

Viperwolf, I believe you have dealer stock numbers there on that Denver core support

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Andrew,

Pic was taken with a flash so all the good old grime showed up in the pic. That's the original paint and rotation number on the core support. The color is original and it's on a 75 Ranger and called Hatteras Green Poly 2614 code (8)

Andy
Blue71

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viperwolf, I believe you have dealer stock numbers there on that Denver core support

Could be. An interesting thing is I've seen it on 2 Denvers that were originally sold at different dealers.

chuckyb

Contributor
Very cool. I have always been curious about the "1831" written on my 1968's core support. Recently I folded down the windshield in order to begin removing it. The same "1831" appears on the very top of the dash panel also. Unfortunately, the build sheet is no longer there. Thanks for this great information!

chuckyb

Contributor
Core support # and matching # on dash

Picture of my core support and dash panel with matching handwritten numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_8625.jpg
    IMG_8625.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 45