• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Derale 2 fan controller

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Anyone running the Derale 2 fan controller with the Taurus or Volvo 2 speed fan. The one that Wildhorses sells. I am using the Volvo relay and an Audi dual thermal switch but I like the adjustability feature of the Derale controller if it can handle the amperage these fans have at startup. A little cleaner look too. Thx for your input in advance.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I have the single fan PWM controller (16796). It makes a funny squeal noise when on but you can't hear it with the engine running. The mounting bracket was installed backwards from the factory (which was apparently an issue they didn't know they had). I really like the soft start technology.

We turned on ALL the electrical components in the bronco including air compressor then we ran an amp clamp and fired up the fan with the override witch. From 26 amps running we never spiked above 30 once the fan was on. It' does a great job limiting the amp spikes.

OP
OP
tatersalad

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I'll look at them but I'm more interested in a 2 speed controller

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
The PWM is cool because it only runs at the % needed to keep your engine at the set heat range (infinitely adjustable?). The override runs it at a constant 60%

OP
OP
tatersalad

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I looked them up and there were a lot of mixed reviews on them. Maybe that was when they were first introduced though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They say specifically "not for use with Taurus fans" as a matter of fact.
Too many melted controllers a few years ago when this first became a popular swap.

However, I never heard anyone say why not just use relays to power the fan and the controller to control the relays. Why would that not work even better than just a controller on any fan? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of any reason it would not work.

The controller would have zero problem switching heavy duty relays, and those could power the fan's speeds.

Might be worth a shot anyway. I haven't read the instructions in a long time, so there might be some clues therein.
It's a great product. Good looking and relatively compact. Hopefully relays will get the job done.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Paul

OP
OP
tatersalad

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I think I wouldn't need the high amperage one if I was using relays.. I think I am going to try the PWM model though.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
The PWM doesn't have a HUGE amperage spike when it starts...worth it right there...many beneifits to the PWM