• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lonesouth's Tan 77

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got some death wobble after switching to the bigger tires. Going to throw some tracbar bushings at it and hope that works.

Last edited:

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Did you have any fitment issues with the 35's? I'm running the same lift combination. Oh, and congrats on the new grandchild. We became grandparents this year, so much fun spoiling them.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you have any fitment issues with the 35's? I'm running the same lift combination. Oh, and congrats on the new grandchild. We became grandparents this year, so much fun spoiling them.

As a pavement pounder, I only get slight rubbing on full turn to the left(I think). I like the look much better than the 33's.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
As a pavement pounder, I only get slight rubbing on full turn to the left(I think). I like the look much better than the 33's.

I like the look as well. It's hard to get the BFG 35's right now. So I settled on the P-metric size of 315/70r/17. Just slightly small at 34.5”. Hope to have them in a week or so. I my have a little rubbing to deal with until I install the body lift.

Thanks for the response.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I found the reason for my death wobbleÂ…
c61a36306ba424cf262e485beea0859b.jpg

ffb4409382f648b28ef077449822fa38.jpg

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Congrats and WOW on the big family, Time to stretch the Bronco to a 4 door!
Looks like a good find for the death wobble issue.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the tie rod end and track bar bushings replaced. Track bar was a complete PITA. The round bushing went in just fine, but that oval bastard. I ended up grinding a bevel into the bar in order to press the bushing in. Then I had to bend open the track bar mount, and use a jack to get it in. What should have been a 45 minute job took 3 hours and I still have to clean up and adjust the toe-in.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4ebcaf6da42132380b32a75865172da5.jpg

49c64b859ecf1872c196714a5fc0abeb.jpg

I finally got around to installing doors on my shed, which called for removing the top and rearranging the shed.

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Wish I had a shed...:(

How much space you have with the top on before it hits the shed?? You think you can lower tire pressure to do it?? I know it would be a PITA but if you had a little compressor it wouldn't be that hard

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got about 2 inches of clearance between the top and the door. I could have gone up another 2 inches when I ordered the door, but I went by the manufacturer's recommended clearances. If I had it to do again, I would have ordered 4 inches taller and cut the tracks to the height I wanted.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I finished getting the top off. One of my nutserts spun so I had to drill it out. I got the soft top riser installed, all that's left is to stretch the safari soft top and strap it down.

Tomorrow I'll adjust the toe in and clean it up. Bronco dinner tomorrow night with the locals.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finished up the front end today. Clamped 4' 2x4s on the rotors and had my daughter help with the tape measure. Soooo much better. No more wandering. Also spent 10 minutes to put it he safari top back on. Not sure I'll ever put the hard top on again.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Next up is to tackle the leaking rear axle. Need to pull the diff and replace the pinion support o-ring, pinion seal, and reseal the 3rd to the axle. Going to drill and tap for a drain plug too.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Finished up the front end today. Clamped 4' 2x4s on the rotors and had my daughter help with the tape measure. Soooo much better. No more wandering. Also spent 10 minutes to put it he safari top back on. Not sure I'll ever put the hard top on again.

Parker,
Is that the hard top I sold you? If so, I remember it was a real nice one. Reason I ask is because if you think you may not use it again I have a friend on the hunt for one. Let me know if you'd consider selling it.
Thank you sir,
Tyler

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Parker,
Is that the hard top I sold you? If so, I remember it was a real nice one. Reason I ask is because if you think you may not use it again I have a friend on the hunt for one. Let me know if you'd consider selling it.
Thank you sir,
Tyler

Let me mull it over.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Decided to tackle my leaking rear axle last night. I suspect the pinion support housing o-ring because I did not replace it when I regeared. Took about an hour to get the third member out, a half hour to clean the third and replace the o-ring and pinion seal, and an hour to clean and add a drain plug to the axle housing. The drain plug is 1/2-20 and that area of the housing was 3/8-1/2” thick. I didn’t have a 29/64 drill bit, so I used a 7/16. It worked, but tapping was a challenge.

6b2712a86c3c0764dfaa158d61d7f96b.jpg

565b9460f0b0ea70dabb8c411e4a8345.jpg

9c0cd7772a4512c80506390a389ad831.jpg

Reactions: kat
OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm hoping I have a stuck thermostat. The temp gauge was pegged last time I drove it. It didn't boil over, but I checked with a non-contact thermometer, 250 at the water neck, 240 at the upper radiator, 170 across the radiator. Never had an temp problem before.