• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

U13 with a top?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Was FIGESO more than a sales office? I've seen plenty of references to it with regards to export Mustang sales but I've never seen anything that would have indicated they did body work like the Colombian Broncos.

Todd Z.

Maybe, maybe not. If not, there must have been a company they sent them to. I've seen nearly identical work on several Colombian/South American Broncos. Wheel tubs, custom tops, tailgates, etc that all look identical. Sure, an owner could have modified them but like I said, nearly identical work multiple times.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I have one of the 66 Columbian export broncos in my shop. It came with the original order and build sheets. At some point in time they converted the back into dutch doors and we are working to make it look more like Ford did it vs using whatever they could find. It is a U13 factory ordered with a hard top and doors as well as a low compression export motor and 4.56 gears. So yes, you could order a U13 however you wanted it. I am thinking they may have been done this way to obtain a bench seat perhaps or they were simply pulling stock orders and changing them to fit the customers needs after they had already been serialized.

Interesting info, how does the build sheet state that a top and doors were ordered? Just asking out of curiosity because it might be the only existing sheet out there still and not likely to ever see another one lol.

ChrisC74

Interesting info, how does the build sheet state that a top and doors were ordered? Just asking out of curiosity because it might be the only existing sheet out there still and not likely to ever see another one lol.
I have a few inches of paperwork, photos, etc. that came with the truck. Copies of the original import paperwork when it was shipped over in 1966, etc. It is all in Spanish which I don't read so I had someone read parts to me a few years ago.

It was originally yellow and it also had the full rear barn doors like Joe Cardi's that he brought over at the same time. Mine were cut down to half doors at a previous resto over there.

I cannot tell you where the rear door mods were done. Here, there, who knows...

One thing that I thought was cool was that the truck was we believe coming down the ford production line as a U13 with a 8 cylinder engine. At some point it was pulled for export and a low compression straight 6 was installed instead. They overstruck the 8 cylinder engine code with the straight 6 low compression number on the VIN.

We ran this by Marti and while now one can prove anything they concurred that is what it looked like.

I like the split tailgate and will keep it if we can.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I have a few inches of paperwork, photos, etc. that came with the truck. Copies of the original import paperwork when it was shipped over in 1966, etc. It is all in Spanish which I don't read so I had someone read parts to me a few years ago.

It was originally yellow and it also had the full rear barn doors like Joe Cardi's that he brought over at the same time. Mine were cut down to half doors at a previous resto over there.

I cannot tell you where the rear door mods were done. Here, there, who knows...

One thing that I thought was cool was that the truck was we believe coming down the ford production line as a U13 with a 8 cylinder engine. At some point it was pulled for export and a low compression straight 6 was installed instead. They overstruck the 8 cylinder engine code with the straight 6 low compression number on the VIN.

We ran this by Marti and while now one can prove anything they concurred that is what it looked like.

I like the split tailgate and will keep it if we can.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Awesome that you have all of that documentation still!! I looked at it at SC at couple of years ago, and have to admit I was pretty fascinated with the rear doors lol. :cool:

asappin

I would like to see more pictures of Roadster Broncos with full tops. I go back and forth on whether or not I want a hardtop on mine. Sometimes roadsters with a full top look odd to me.

Sorry for the threadjack