• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Fan from WH

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Well I just got my new fan from WildHorses, pretty nice fan. I have a flex fan on my 74 now , but have not been happy with the performance. It does keep the bronco cool when moving, around 180 to 195 in 90degree weather, but once I get stuck in traffic, it will creep up to 200 to 220.I try to raise the rpm's, but it seem the flex fan just does work that well in traffic. I'll install it tomorrow and give a report on how it work.

Attachments

• DSCN1425 (1).jpg
    DSCN1425 (1).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN1426.jpg
    DSCN1426.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN1427.jpg
    DSCN1427.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've got one of those on the 66. It's noisy but it moves some air. They are stout. Not looking forward to the first time an arm or finger gets in its way..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks savage. A few members hoping to hear good news right now I think. A couple of "running hot" threads going on right now.

Paul

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
I talked to a guy at a car show on Saturday. He said he was having high temp issues. He swears by this fan now on his stock 302 bronco with auto trans

Last edited:
OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Well finally got the fan changed, and of course it took me all afternoon. I had to go pick up a 1/2 inch spacer, because the one on the flex fan was to big, (1 inch). Only problem I had besides the spacer is the fan is pretty close to the inside edge of the passenger side of the stock fan shroud , the area that sits against the radiator tank. I took some sand paper to it and got a 1/8th clearance. The new fan has a weird bend at the end of the fins, that bends inward toward the radiator. Will see if the clearance I made is enough. I took it for a drive and you can tell wright away, that its sucking more air than the flex fan;D, and temps are lower. I put a rag in front of the bronco with the hood open and it had good suction. Here are some pics of the old fan and the new fan installed, I think it's sitting good in the shroud. I'm going to take it for a drive, tomorrow in traffic and will see if it helped in that area.

Attachments

• DSCN1428.jpg
    DSCN1428.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN1429.jpg
    DSCN1429.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN1431.jpg
    DSCN1431.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN1432.jpg
    DSCN1432.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN1434.jpg
    DSCN1434.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN1433.jpg
    DSCN1433.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN1437.jpg
    DSCN1437.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN1436.jpg
    DSCN1436.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice score! Flex fans are useless!!!

I use a 17" Rigid fan, 1/2" Spacer and Stock Shroud on all my Broncos with a stock size Radiator. Even here in Hot, Humid Florida the engine does not overheat.

The larger, thicker 4-Core Radiators are great, but with our Broncos you run out of room and cannot fit a GOOD Fan behind it and there is no air flow. This is true with V-Belt or Serpentine.

The shorter Front Dress of the 5.0l Explorer helps this problem.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Well drove the bronco in traffic today, big improvement in my case, running around 195 to 205 a lot better than 200 to 220. What I like is I can put it in neutral which raises the rpm and it seem to cool down fast than the flex fan did. I did fix the clearance on the passenger side by replacing the upper radiator mount, with new ones I had for years, which moved the top of the radiator forward, which got me around a 1/2 inch clearance ,on the shroud.

Attachments

• DSCN1447.jpg
    DSCN1447.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN1449.jpg
    DSCN1449.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1455.jpg
    DSCN1455.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 93
  • FSCN1444.jpg
    FSCN1444.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN1440.jpg
    DSCN1440.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 84

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
/\/\ Ditto...... There are crappy rigid fans and crappy flex fans. A crappy aluminum flex fan will flatten out at idle if it has enough back pressure. The factory seven blade flex fan is steel, has seven blades to pull more air, and the blades are staggered to make it quiet.

PGreenlawMD

Loc.
New Bern
I run TBP 6 blade flex fan with 3 core aluminum radiator with 351w 3 speed geared low in coastal NC which gets very hot and humid and have no overheating issues with the engine. Engine bay is a different story and going EFI to hopefully fix that problem and looking at some of the fender vents available.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Update: I'm not easily impressed, but I have to say, this fan preforms well in my situation. Took TAZ for a ride today, in 80 degree weather in traffic, and it ran between 185 to 195, and this is a mechanical Auto Meter gauge, so I think it's pretty close on temps. I did change the fan depth, from the last report on the first drive with the new fan. It amazes me how just a 1/4 inch change can lower the degrees by 10 degrees.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Back in the day, Mom & Dad had a '59 Pontiac Catalina with a dealer installed, GM, under dash, hump mounted, Frigidaire A/C unit.
Since it was dealer installed they would give the new owner the leftover parts.
The kit included a higher CFM fan.
Dad couldn't stand the roar, and would winterize the car every year by reinstalling the original fan.
Fan clutches and good quality flex fans have eliminated the noise issue.
Again, I'm telling you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a good quality flex fan.
The fan manufacturers have really shot themselves in the foot and ruined their reputation by making the "junk" flex fans.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I run TBP 6 blade flex fan with 3 core aluminum radiator with 351w 3 speed geared low in coastal NC which gets very hot and humid and have no overheating issues with the engine. Engine bay is a different story and going EFI to hopefully fix that problem and looking at some of the fender vents available.

How's the sound?
I've just got a problem with vendors selling what they've got.
Rigid fans are great for a trailered rig, but terrible for a driver.
Two different cultures.
For your car, don't get caught up in the other culture.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
How's the sound?
I've just got a problem with vendors selling what they've got.
Rigid fans are great for a trailered rig, but terrible for a driver.
Two different cultures.
For your car, don't get caught up in the other culture.
You say the rigid fans are noisy, so far this fan is not that noisy. The flex fan I had was a lot louder and I know its not a great quality flex fan. blubuckaroo, your Bronco must be really quiet;D, for you to hear a fan. I do run with no doors or top, so the noise level is higher in my Bronco. My sons electric fan on his 85 trans am, sounds like a jet plane taking off, I think the way a fan is design dictates how well it works and sounds.

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
Well hold on there!
All flex fans aren't made the same. The one in savage's photos is an example of a crappy flex fan.
The factory seven blade flex fan included in the "Super Cooling" package moves a ton of air without the roar of a rigid fan. There is also a "knock-off" made by Hayden available.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...ry-v8-289302351w-66-77-early-ford-bronco-used

+1, Not all flex fans are useless! ;D

I use the Hayden "knock-off" and it works well... on a 351W... on the surface of the sun... the engine hasn't hit higher than 201.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The original 7-Blade fan does work well. But I would not consider that a Flex Fan. Especially not like the first one Savage pictured in post #1.

The 17" Rigid Fan should work great!