• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wolf Caves, Mason, Texas

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
A small group of LEBCers went to Wolf Caves yesterday. It's a newer ORV park in the Texas Hill Country - open about 2 years. It was the second time for me and the first for the others. We were able to explore the entire park but we stuck to mostly the easy trails in order to preserve Bill's new paint job (after his roll at OCBR!) Plus we were trying to keep moving to get a feel for the entire park. Very nice park! It has lots of trails and the reds looked incredibly hard. We pretty much hit every corner of the park.

The park is marked very well and the map is a satellite overlay so its very accurate. One nice thing is the map has numbered spots - so if you find a marked number you know exactly where you are. Very easy to follow. It was a great day - its started a bit cool but warmed up a bit to be comfortable enough in a topless and doorless Bronco. All the snow had melted from the "Texas blizzard of 2017"!

IMG_5496_297270161.JPG

IMG_5498_1005148395.JPG

IMG_5500_550959198.JPG

IMG_5504_492271405.JPG

IMG_5512_1955717330.JPG

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"T" for Texas, "T" for Trails. Looks like fun!

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Looks like a great time and another reason to love Texas.

Eric, you'd love it. Totally different than Rausch or the Cove.

It's a great park, just wish it wasn't a 9 hour drive. Looks like a wonderful day playing in the dirt:cool:

It's only 1 1/2 hours from me. Makes for a very doable day trip.

"T" for Texas, "T" for Trails. Looks like fun!

I think this park will someday probably be the premier park in TX. Incredible trails, traction on the rocks is as good if not better than Moab and it has 2-3 times the number of trails that K2 has. It needs some infrastructure added such as a pavilion and more bathroom/shower facilities to become usable for a large event, but they have plans and are coming along.

Wolf Caves

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Pa, K2 is about 800 acres so Wolf Caves is smaller. BUT most of the 430 acres are the granite outcroppings and there are much more trails packed into the smaller area. I seems pretty big when you're there. That said, we were there with quite a few other groups and we only had to wait once for a trail group to clear a trail intersection. Otherwise we saw no one else the whole day. We could hear some in the distance but never saw anybody else.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
That sure is neat country down there. My hunting buddy's brother & I were in college at the same time . So we made friends with 3 young fellows from there .. Their family's place was 1/2 way between Llano & Mason. They knew everyone in that are because they worked on water wells. Their family place was about 450ac.