• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serp Conversion Harm. Bal. Help. "I'm not a smart man...."

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I've got all the parts for the explorer serpentine swap, but I still can't get my head around the balancer I need and how to deal with the timing marks and the pointer (which will be on the other side). Can someone walk me through, step by step, what I need to do (with pics?) of how to make the 50 oz balancer marked correctly, with the timing pointer in the proper spot for the serpentine conversion? (would it help to go through dampener dudes or someone like that?) Thanks! - Jim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why can't you use the factory pointer?
All the Explorer stuff works together. Timing cover, pointer, and balancer. No fuss.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I think Bowshers point is,
If your going to put new timing tape on your balancer then you can put your timing pointer anywhere you want. You just find TDC and install your tape where the timing pointer is lined up with that mark on your tape,

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
If your engine is a 351W or an older 302 then the harmonic should be rebalanced from 50 to 28 oz-in. if its a newer 5.0 then it should match the 50 oz-in imbalance of the harmonic.

Either way, I believe the timing marks on the balancer can be used with the Explorer pointer at 11 o'clock position. the reverse rotation waterpump outlet covers the 2 oclock position.

I could be wrong but that is my recollection... someone will chime in and correct me if i got it wrong.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
IF you are doing an explorer swap, everything will be at 11 O'clock. The damper, the pointer, the cover. All a matched package. It worked on an Explorer, the engine doesn't know that it is in a different chassis. The Explorer accessory drive requires the whole package to work. You have to use the Explorer timing cover and water pump. The damper is part of that package as well, you will not use anything from the Bronco in front of the timing chain. There should be no 2 O'clock parts involved.

Jolly Roger

I sent mine off to damper dudes. $144.00 and that included return shipping. Took about 2-3 weeks from shipping it out to getting it back using US mail.

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Many aftermarket balancers have timing marks on both sides to accommodate either pointer. You could purchase an aftermarket balancer and a crank pulley from one of the vendors.

I have used this one several times with good results.
Summit Racing® OE-Style Harmonic Dampers SUM-163289 which is 28 oz and
SUM-163302 is 50 oz.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
By the time you buy a new damper, and the conversion pulley, you spent more then just getting the stock explorer damper that is rebalanced.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Its not that difficult. It seems as though he is putting the expy front dress on a pre 1980 302 so heneeds a 28 oz imbalance harmonic balncer. Its easy to do. Take the two balancers, the original 28 oz and the expy 50 oz. pu them one on top of the other so one fits inside the other. Line up the crank keyways. Then transfer the expy timing zero to the original balancer. Now get a $5 timing tape from any parts store and put it on that balancer lining up the zero marks. Reinstall the original balancer with the conversion pully and you are set

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
IF you are doing an explorer swap, everything will be at 11 O'clock. The damper, the pointer, the cover. All a matched package. It worked on an Explorer, the engine doesn't know that it is in a different chassis. The Explorer accessory drive requires the whole package to work. You have to use the Explorer timing cover and water pump. The damper is part of that package as well, you will not use anything from the Bronco in front of the timing chain. There should be no 2 O'clock parts involved.

That's the answer I was looking for. So, at TDC, where should the pointer be numerically speaking. I'm ignorant about timing, advance and so forth. I guess the obvious answer is in exactly the same spot as where it is on the 302 / 28oz. Balancer. Yes?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If you look at the Explorer Serp write up here on CB you will see lots of great photos showing the sensor bracket/timing pointer on the Explorer timing chain cover.

swmrdrn

I used a 28oz balancer that hadn't markings in 3 different location including 11:00. Then I uses a nice word CVF adustible pointer. The combination looks custom and works perfectly. Balancer was about $75 and pulley was about $80.