• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serp Radiator Question - Change now and I have a body lift

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Doing the explorer serpentine swap. Should I go with reversed aluminum now and if so, how does 2" body lift affect what hoses to use? Can't find the Champion radiator that people used to talk about. Thanks! - jim

cali_zuk

That is the radiator I have with a 351w, explorer serpentine conversion and a 1" body lift. The electric fan is really close to the water pump pulley, but it does not hit.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I use the stock Bronco radiator and have never had any overheating issues related to the radiator (only issue I've had was a bad fan clutch). I use stock Bronco hoses with a lower crossover pipe.

Jolly Roger

The link Dlish referenced is showing the 3 core is out of stock but they have the 4 core. I noticed that the 3 core is 2.5" thick and the 4 core is 3.2" thick. Cali-zuk mentioned that the clearance between the water pump pulley and electric fan is close. Should I wait for the 3 core with the 2.5" thinckness to become available? what's your guys opinions on the 3 vs 4 core. Thanks

ransil

Bronco Guru
put in the 94 explorer radiator build the mounts to make it set where you want it.

Dlish

The link Dlish referenced is showing the 3 core is out of stock but they have the 4 core. I noticed that the 3 core is 2.5" thick and the 4 core is 3.2" thick. Cali-zuk mentioned that the clearance between the water pump pulley and electric fan is close. Should I wait for the 3 core with the 2.5" thinckness to become available? what's your guys opinions on the 3 vs 4 core. Thanks

Not sure what setup Cali-Zuk is using, or why an electric fan.

The OP's title just said "Serp", which doesn't usually use an electric fan. The 96-01 Explorer seep set up is nice and compact, and should fit with either rad thickness. Many people make a shroud extension as the fan is too far away from the radiator.

I think you would be fine with either, if you are using the explorer serp set up, but if you have an electric fan its going to most likely be a test and fit scenario. Did you call Champion and ask about how long the delay would be?

Jolly Roger

I'm using the explorer serp with the mechanical fan. Haven't called championed yet to find out the wait times.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With "most" modern aluminum radiators, the 2-row cores work just fine. Of course, a 3 or 4 row setup would be slick and offer more capacity, but I'm not sure it's needed unless you are already experiencing some heating issues.

Because they're using much larger tubes and different fins and have more dissipation through the tanks, aluminum radiators are not rated on the same size scale.
That Explorer (V6 manual trans) radiator that ransil is talking about is a very thin 2-row factory radiator with plastic side tanks and cools Broncos very well.

I'm not sure which version of the Champion more people are using though. Not sure I've ever heard anyone mention they were using a Champion 4-row, but it'd be good to hear some feedback if any one is.

Paul

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
With "most" modern aluminum radiators, the 2-row cores work just fine. Of course, a 3 or 4 row setup would be slick and offer more capacity, but I'm not sure it's needed unless you are already experiencing some heating issues.

Because they're using much larger tubes and different fins and have more dissipation through the tanks, aluminum radiators are not rated on the same size scale.
That Explorer (V6 manual trans) radiator that ransil is talking about is a very thin 2-row factory radiator with plastic side tanks and cools Broncos very well.

I'm not sure which version of the Champion more people are using though. Not sure I've ever heard anyone mention they were using a Champion 4-row, but it'd be good to hear some feedback if any one is.

Paul

Hey Paul,
Champion is back ordered 3-4 months on their 3 cores. But, they found one that had a scratch and dent one, sent me pictures and it looked great. So I bought it at a great price with lifetime warranty. I posted pics on another thread and all the comments were very positive! - jim

Jolly Roger

This radiator looks almost identical to the Champion CC522. Anybody familiar with this one or see any reason why it wouldn't work on 351w with the explorer serp conversion
4wdvalley2013 manufacturer

3ROW ALUMINUM RADIATOR FOR 1966-77 1967 69 FORD BRONCO 2.8/3.3/4.7/4.9 I6/V8 USA

$149.00
Product Description:
Returns Accepted: Returns Accepted
Item must be returned within: 60 Days
Return shipping will be paid by: Seller
Restocking Fee: No
Refund will be given as: Money Back
Type: Radiator
Brand: 4wdvalley2013
Manufacturer Part Number: DPI522 CC522,CU522
Warranty: 5 Year
Fitment Type: Performance/Custom
Material: Aluminum
Number of Rows: 3 Rows
Core Size: 18 3/8''H x 19 1/8''W
Overall Size: 21''H x 25''W
Inlet/Outlet: 1 1/2'' & 1 3/4''
Trans Cooler: 1/8-27NPT
Performance: up to 30%-45% more cooling
Delivery: US Local Delivery
UPC: Does not apply

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Paul,
Champion is back ordered 3-4 months on their 3 cores. But, they found one that had a scratch and dent one, sent me pictures and it looked great. So I bought it at a great price with lifetime warranty. I posted pics on another thread and all the comments were very positive! - jim

I saw that! Great score I thought.
Is it a 3-row then? Or a 4-row? Or something else? I don't remember seeing that mentioned.

Paul

swmrdrn

Doing the explorer serpentine swap. Should I go with reversed aluminum now and if so, how does 2" body lift affect what hoses to use? Can't find the Champion radiator that people used to talk about. Thanks! - jim

I have the champion but don't recall if it is 3 or 4 rows. I know it takes the 4-row bracket. It was installed before I did the explorer front dress and I didn't want to replace it just to get the reverse porting. Now I wish I would have replaced it at the same time. I hate the lower crossover pipe and the terrible upper hose. Both seem to want to drip coolant at every connection. At some point, I will likely get a reverse radiator just to clean things up.

swmrdrn

I saw that! Great score I thought.
Is it a 3-row then? Or a 4-row? Or something else? I don't remember seeing that mentioned.

Paul

Paul,

When are you guys going to offer a reverse 3 pass radiator? It would be great to have that extra cooling capacity for those of us in hot weather who have to fight through hours of stop and go traffic with our A/C pumping.