• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake lines question.

Nowik35

Let me start with. Thank God to taking lots of pictures through out your build. I actually wish I took more as I was tearing apart my bronco. That being said i'm trying to put together my brake system and i have no idea how my brake vent axle combo all goes together. The picture is of my front axle. I have no idea what one of those tubes is? And why is it going into the frame??? Also what goes into that hole on my axle pumpkin? Should that hole be threaded? Mine is just a through hole into the pumpkin? Is the brake hose with the square end suppose to attach to the axle vent hole?
Photo%20Editor-20180920_201258_zps3z5bixce.jpg

65 mustang

Yes , the vent tube for the front axle is the tube in the frame. red arrow on bottom.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
It connects to an axle breather (yours filled in with mud). I went to local parts store and got cheap gas hose instead of replacement hose. I also fit a cheap filter on the end going into the frame. Any sort of clogging of that hose will do numbers on ur front axle. Both axles must breathe or you may notice leaks in your axle seals. Nobody likes leaks from their axle seals.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Everything is hooked up as it should be in the photo with the exception of the broken hose.

You ask if the vent is supposed to be threaded. The bolt that holds the brake line on the pumpkin is a threaded vent. It threads into the pumpkin to hold the brake line and to provide the nipple to clamp the hose to. Remove the broken hose from both the frame and the nipple and replace it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like this: WH Breather Bolt which you can still get new if yours is busted or otherwise messed up.
If you pull the old piece of hose off and it looks like in our picture, you're good to go.
Just unscrew it and clean it out with he right tool and put it back in.

Your brake hose looks to be in halfway decent shape still, but if you flex it by hand and it's all dried out and has cracks forming, time for a new one. If you plan to add a suspension lift you should get one of the longer versions us vendors sell.

Have fun. Looks like a real project at this point!

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Avoid putting vertical loops like your old steel line has. That loop makes it hard to bleed brakes without a power bleeder.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

thank you everyone for the feedback. I figured out what the problem was. the threaded vent nipple rotted complete off and that why it looks like I have a through hole into my pumpkin, because the threaded end of the vent was still threaded in. Anyways I drilled it out and have beautiful threads still on the pumpkin. So I just ordered my self brand new axle vents for front and back. got some new fuel line hose , clamps and those plastic breathers that go on the other end of the tube inside the frame. Going to do it right. Also thanks for the tip on loops in the brake lines. I am bending my own new tubs so I will try my best to create direct paths to each destination .

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

For those intrested here was my solution. I made brackets to accommodate the shorter hoses.
20180928_195814_zpsxrzipfn4.jpg

20180928_195821_zpscfpfp0ku.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Big difference from the first pics! Very clean. Good idea.
Will you be making all new hard lines too? I think you said yes, but does that include the entire hard line array, or just a few bits here and there?
You might be able to bend and re-route the rear line without too much drama, but the shorter front hard line from either a distribution block or proportioning valve likely would need to be custom made.

And so you know just where things will fall while you're mocking all this up and custom making all sorts of cool stuff, you could compress your suspension down to expected ride height with ratchet straps. That way you can take into account how it will all sit when finished.

Depending on whether you're going with a stock suspension height, or lifted, factor everything on the dimensions between the bottom of the frame and the top of the axle tube of 7" in the front and 6" in the rear. Approximately speaking...
Those are stock, so if you're lifting you'd just add the amount of the lift and base everything off of that.

Looks like you're having fun with it!

Paul