• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Denver area, I need a 9" chunk rebuilt

EBsaver

Community,

I apologize in advance if I'm doing something wrong here. I tried to find tech support on the Ford 9" rear end first.

Anyhoo, I am a passionate mechanic by hobby and good at it in what little free time I have; but also maintain a full-time job, am single and raising a 2 & 4 year-old by myself; so I really don't have the time to do all the tedious shimming/backlash checking/trial and error chunk stuff. Since my outer-axle wheel bearings are shot...can I assume all the pinion/carrier bearings are shot as well? I had what looked like 'Mississippi Mud' coming out of the diff when I loosened the chunk.

I also had play from one wheel to the other.. Before draining any fluid or removing old drums, I lifted the rear of the vehicle and when I spun one wheel, I had about 1/2" play before the other wheel began spinning in the same direction as the one I was spinning. Is this play normal?(my 5.9L ZJ only has about 1/8" to 1/4"of play)... or is the diff shot??

I know I can rebuild this chunk with all new bearings and inspect for cracking and wear in all the gears etc... but having never done it before I fear it will take me forever-and-a-day to get it back together and running again. Is there anyone has done this successfully before, and anywhere near Denver/Englewood, COLORADO ...who can walk me through the process in person//show me the path// for beer LOL ..or recommend an affordable shop? Now that I've dropped the whole axle housing, I don't want to put it back together until I know it's right. Then can move on to other things like the tranny who won't shift to 3rd until it's warm.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

Henry

phyler

Loc.
Denver area
Community,

I apologize in advance if I'm doing something wrong here. I tried to find tech support on the Ford 9" rear end first.

Anyhoo, I am a passionate mechanic by hobby and good at it in what little free time I have; but also maintain a full-time job, am single and raising a 2 & 4 year-old by myself; so I really don't have the time to do all the tedious shimming/backlash checking/trial and error chunk stuff. Since my outer-axle wheel bearings are shot...can I assume all the pinion/carrier bearings are shot as well? I had what looked like 'Mississippi Mud' coming out of the diff when I loosened the chunk.

I also had play from one wheel to the other.. Before draining any fluid or removing old drums, I lifted the rear of the vehicle and when I spun one wheel, I had about 1/2" play before the other wheel began spinning in the same direction as the one I was spinning. Is this play normal?(my 5.9L ZJ only has about 1/8" to 1/4"of play)... or is the diff shot??

I know I can rebuild this chunk with all new bearings and inspect for cracking and wear in all the gears etc... but having never done it before I fear it will take me forever-and-a-day to get it back together and running again. Is there anyone has done this successfully before, and anywhere near Denver/Englewood, COLORADO ...who can walk me through the process in person//show me the path// for beer LOL ..or recommend an affordable shop? Now that I've dropped the whole axle housing, I don't want to put it back together until I know it's right. Then can move on to other things like the tranny who won't shift to 3rd until it's warm.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

Henry
You should post up on Coloradoclassicbroncos.com. Some good guys over there who can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
This should be posted in Bronco Chat or Bronco Tech, not in Bronco FAQ

Very nearly nobody will notice it here.