• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring trouble

Bigbass07

I have a 76 bronco with 302 aod. I put a power master starter and a one wire alternator on it. I did away with the ford starter solinoid and voltage regulator. I have a brand new ignition switch also. The starter engages when the switch is in the on position. Here’s the way I have it wired.
Big red positive Cable from battery to starter
Small wire from starter solinoid to the green wire with red stripe.
Small yellow wire to positive side of battery
Big black wire with red stripe to positive battery
Big black wire with yellow stripe to nothing.
Small red wire with blue stripe neutral safety

Wire from alternator to positive side of battery

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Red w/green should not be at the starter solenoid. Only the Red w/blue from the NSS is to go to your "S" post on the solenoid.
What is happening is that as soon as you turn the key to RUN (but not ACC) you are sending 12v to the starter solenoid.

And even though what you have done is a cleaner look, I would actually put the old starter relay back on the fender and use that. Couple of reasons...
One is that the Ford ignition switch is not really designed to work the heavier load of an actual solenoid on a starter (more current to make it work) than it sees with a stock relay (it's only a switching relay, not a true solenoid) and the people that have used it the way you are have seen very short lives for their ignition switches.
Granted, the new crop of switches may be at fault in some cases, but I do believe that some of them were using their original Ford switches. Here again, maybe they were just ready to fail anyway from old age. But the coincidences just kept coming and coming...

The other reason is isolation from feedback.
Those that eliminate the relay often experience starter run-on when they let the key out of the START position.

Nothing wrong with trying it your way. Just be aware of the potential issues if any of them crop up.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And your large Black w/yellow wire that you said goes to nothing is capped off for safety, correct?
It's hot all the time and can cause some mischief if the conductor touches metal.

Paul

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with Paul about leaving the stock relay in the circuit. I had starter run-on when I bypassed mine.