• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much seam sealer to buy?

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I will be (crossed fingers) sand blasting the tub this weekend. would like to put down body sealer on the bright metal before I prime. Want to prime this weekend too, so I want to have all the materials sitting there ready.

I have removed ALL of the original sealer. How many tubes of sealer will I need to buy to seal everything back up? I do not mind buying one too many tubes but at $19 a tube (3M) I do not want to buy three or four too many. :)

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went through about 4 tubes. A restoration guy showed me a trick that worked nicely. Mask each side of the seam about 1/8 inch each side side. Use a squeegy to tool it off. Spray some HI-Solve on the surface and it melts it nice and smooth. It comes out a lot neater than the finger tool method.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I went a little overboard with sealer on my tub and used about 3 or 4 tubes.

On another note I had to scrape out the old sealer. Media blasting will not take it out.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Epoxy primer first. I am not a fan of etching primer. But primer first then seam seal

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I sold DuPont paint for 30 years I too say prime it 1st......then seam seal it ..3 tube If I;m wrong I'll buy you a beer..Next time I'm In town .....
Ah Man I got sons in Houston...ain't Sunnydale in the Houston area .....

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
As others have said, prime first before seam sealing. I also would concur that three tubes should be plenty.

For those attempting to remove old seam sealer, a heat gun and putty knife work wonders.

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Thanks, all. My guess was three so I was going to buy 4. Sounds like 4 is the way to go, since I will be doing it on saturday and do not want to run out.

I will prime before sealing. Already have the epoxy primer. As it has been a while since a painted I assume I can buy HISOLVE at the auto paint store?

Sunnyvale is east of mequite between mesquite and lake ray hubbard.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I stopped into the paint shop yesterday and i see they have a 2 part epoxy seam sealer vs the standard caulking gun stuff. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

If you epoxy prime first you have to get your seam sealer on quick and put your next coat either filler primer or color on don't you? I thought once the epoxy primer set up you have to completely re-sand? I am not sure the set time on the seam sealer but this seems like a tight schedule of prime seam seal and paint?
Is that correct?
Dennis

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
please someone who knows answer him because its been bothering me too.

Thats why I was going to put the seam sealer or bare sanblasted metal the way we use to do.

Bronco Brett

Loc.
little rock ar
2 part is real good. which 3m were u going to use? ultra-pro sausage tube is also real good , but do little areas at a time(it skins pretty fast) but smooths out w/ prep sol. stay clear of oldies like fast and firm.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I stopped into the paint shop yesterday and i see they have a 2 part epoxy seam sealer vs the standard caulking gun stuff. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

If you epoxy prime first you have to get your seam sealer on quick and put your next coat either filler primer or color on don't you? I thought once the epoxy primer set up you have to completely re-sand? I am not sure the set time on the seam sealer but this seems like a tight schedule of prime seam seal and paint?
Is that correct?
Dennis

Seam sealer on primer or bare steel???? I've asked this question to 3M reps and Lord Fusor reps and get different answers.

What I do is I prime then after it dries, sand the panel, scuff with a red scuff pad. Have bodyman apply seam sealer (we use Fusor 800) after about 1 hour it is dry and it's then ready for sealer and paint. You can reprime the seam sealer areas and scuff them if you like.
Most of the time in a bodyshop, seam sealer is used when a 1/4 panel is put on. We prime the seams and the bodywork not the whole 1/4. After the seam sealer is applied I just spray sealer on the whole 1/4 anyways and then paint.
Most seam sealers are paintable so no need for reprime or sealer.