• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Dash and fuse box

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I took a weeks vacation in June to take the 71 apart after running a year to make sure I had everything the way I wanted it before I painted it. I wanted to get it painted and put back together before dove season opened. Dove season is open and now I am hoping to finish before deer season, but i really doubt I will have enough time to make that happen.

Was going to let these dash mods go until later. I figured I would get a second dash and make changes to it, but I realized that the way my roll cage is made (the front posts actually go through the top of the dash and out the side of teh kick panel so they do not interfere with leg room) it might be best to finish the dash. I also wanted a removable panel so I could work behind the dash easily. I made it look somewhat like the glove box. As it is you can take out the glove box liner and this panel and have free access to everything, even the back of the fuse box.

I also hated having relays, flashers, and fuses scattered all over the engine compartment and up under the dash. So I found this Ford fuse box on ebay that had 10 large relay spots, and 10 small, along with a multitude of fuses. I altered two of teh relay slots to accept the hazzard and turn signal flashers. Now every fuse, relay, and flasher will be easily accesible from under the dash by taking off two thumb screws and opening the door. A little bondo and paint and it should be good to go.

I had to incorporate my 87 EFI harness, my centech harness and all of the other crap we put into these trucks into one nice harness. 37 individual circuits, 8 relays, two flashers. My radio and speakers and in teh roll bar. spot light, off road lights, cruise control, mirror with compass and temp, it jsu all adds up :). And I haven't even thought about putting in AC yet.

Oh yea I made that stupid little wood frame so I could drag it in the house and work on it in the AC and watch reruns of law and order, other wise it wouldn't be done yet.

Yes my wife hates me.

I also welded in these inserts into the bed rails, And welded the quarter panel seams.

My last three weekends have been busy. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Wow, I am depressed. I thought I would at least get a why would you go to all that trouble comment or maybe it will look better when its painted but nothing. Being ignored is worse than being hated. :)

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Why would you go to all that trouble? Well, maybe it'll look better painted. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have thought about welding up my quarters just haven't got to it yet. Your dash is looking good too. Where did you say you got that fuse panel?

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I like how you did the inserts in the top rail, just throw the top on and bolt it down. No trying to fight with wrench's or sockets, makes it as easy as removing and installing the top on my full size.

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
The guy I bought the fuse panel from on ebay said it came from a 2001 explorer. I do not know that for sure.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
That wiring looks scary. Im intimidated by it. I like the way you did the bed rails. Where did you find those inserts? Thanks

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Nuts came from http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search the site for weld nuts or retained nuts and they will come up. They really look nice once I ground off the welds and hit the top of teh rail with a sanding disc.

Wiring wasn't really too bad. I moved it into the den and worked on it in the air conditioning while I was watching Law and Order reruns. So I kind of lost track of how long it took. It looks worse than it is.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
WoW! what a mess of wires, I wish you luck but like the overall job!

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Started testing it yesterday. So far so good. I made wiring diagrams of everything I did, and I am slowy going through ti now one circuit at a time to make sure it all works.