• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newly installed LED speedo bulbs-Centech

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
I will post some feedback on my Centech install when I get a chance. Im long on some of my wiring under the hood, NSS, and Reverse. Waiting on materials to tidy up.

In the mean time, thought about replacing the speedo just because I couldnt see it at night. With the wiring upgrade, the sockets take a 194 bulb and bought some LED bulbs. 2 white and 1 amber....The amber has the old school glow and lights up the gauge. Showing the contrast for those that are interested.

Attachments

• centech fusebox.jpg
    centech fusebox.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 84
  • led speedo.jpg
    led speedo.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 145

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the amber glow myself.
Just FYI too, with the new harness and the new sockets with their own grounds, your regular incandescent type bulbs are a lot brighter than your old ones would have been.
Maybe not as good as the LED's, but definitely brighter than the old ones. At least in all the installs I've seen.
Did you try the regular bulbs too, after the new harness was installed? Not bright enough still?

Thanks for the comparison.
Are you going to go with the white ones, or the amber ones?

Paul

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
I like that amber too. Did you also replace your heater and wiper light bars on your dash with the LED replacements?

Just wondering if those are a bright white or a amber color. It would be great to get them to match the speedometer lights.

OP
OP
Flying Pigs

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
I like the amber glow myself.
Just FYI too, with the new harness and the new sockets with their own grounds, your regular incandescent type bulbs are a lot brighter than your old ones would have been.
Maybe not as good as the LED's, but definitely brighter than the old ones. At least in all the installs I've seen.
Did you try the regular bulbs too, after the new harness was installed? Not bright enough still?

Thanks for the comparison.
Are you going to go with the white ones, or the amber ones?

Paul

I always get ahead of myself and never tried the bulbs that came with it. Now that you say that, the turn signal and bright light indicator are brighter. The LED bulbs are like 9 each at the local auto store. Funny thing is the package says that if they dont light, reverse in the socket....all three didnt work....what are the odds that all 3 have to be reversed.....winner, all 3 had to be reversed!

Leaning toward amber.

OP
OP
Flying Pigs

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
I like that amber too. Did you also replace your heater and wiper light bars on your dash with the LED replacements?

Just wondering if those are a bright white or a amber color. It would be great to get them to match the speedometer lights.

I broke one and they are on order....wondering if they have been replaced as all the light bulbs work in them. The lights shine through a dark piece of plastic and why they are so dim.

1st pic is normal.

2nd pic has the front broke off...that would be distracting

3rd pic is from the top and there is more light coming through the housing than the front

Attachments

• dashlight normal.jpg
    dashlight normal.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 39
  • dash lighting broken.jpg
    dash lighting broken.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 53
  • dash light from top.jpg
    dash light from top.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 52

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rare to have the originals still all lit up like that, but some industrious owners have replaced bulbs. I've done it and it's finicky as all get out!

Yeah, that front double layered plastic really takes the juice out of any bright lights. One layer with the silk screen, then the second layer that looks almost opaque.
I'm sure they didn't want the distraction factor either, but if you replaced that inner layer with something more smoked and less opaqued, I bet you could fine-tune the brightness to your tastes.
Besides, that's what dimmers are for!

Paul

OP
OP
Flying Pigs

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
Paul,

Just wanted to show you were right and I over did it but my dash was so dark before. Wow, what a difference even with standard 194 bulbs. They are reproducing the dash lights with LEDs, you would think they would try some different combinations to allow more light through.

The first picture is with the 194 bulbs that came with the harness.

The second picture is me trying to utilize at least one of my $9 LED (amber) bulbs in the top center.

Attachments

• speedo stk bulbs.jpg
    speedo stk bulbs.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 53
  • speedo amber led top reg 3 9.jpg
    speedo amber led top reg 3 9.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 55

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, that's a pretty good match in color!
And I like the LED in the top for the more even lighting between the two shared gauges. At least that's what it looks like in the picture.

The main advantage to the regular bulbs is they're dimmable. But maybe your LED is the dimmable type? Not many are still, so not sure if yours is that type or not for that price.

How does it look while you're driving? You like it one way or the other better?
On the dash bars, I'm pretty sure they're more visible than the originals. Not sure if they use the same double-layer of plastic for the lens or not. Haven't had one apart yet.

Paul

MY 4 BY

For the #194 LED bulb, what kind of wedge base socket does Centech (or anyone else) use? I'd like to upgrade to the LEDs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, there is an official designation of the base style, but most people just purchase a replacement for a 194 since that's how most bulbs are listed in the retail market. Not by their base style except by some companies.
Since there is only one style of base the 194's use, the replacement bulbs fit the sockets.

Sorry I don't know what the designation is, but you could find it on a chart somewhere I'm sure. Maybe the OSRAM website has it? Dunno.
But since it's the only way 194's come, any replacement should work.

Paul