• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech Frustration! Fuel pressure takes a dive once hot

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought about 5 pages ago we figured the ECM in the throttle body was overheating and shutting down, taking out the connection to the hand held controller at the same time.

Did I miss something that resulted in changing every other part not related to the overheating ECM?

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Broncobowsher: I’ve never had an issue with my handheld, so not sure.
Dirt:sounds similar to my issue. Although mine will run, it just misses like crazy. If I hold steady on the gas it will run fine for a second here and there, otherwise it’s only hitting on 5-6 cylinders. When I first was installing everything we had an Msd 6ain the system and the thing ran like crap. Fitech told me I didn’t need the Msd box. So we took it out of the loop and it ran fine for 30-40 miles then died in my driveway. Like I said the next plan is to eliminate timing control. Question for the rest of you fitech folks, are you using ignition boxes?

bseager

I have my FiTech controlling ignition without the box. I have it wired directly to a locked out summit distrubtor with an MSD phaseable rotor. It was a little bit of work to get it dialed in, but has been running well for about a year. It took a little bit for it to learn.

Have you tried watching the timing on your handheld while someone else uses a timing light under the hood? Both readings need to match. It's possible your FiTech base timing is off.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
That’s my exact setup^^^. Yea I’m really thinking it’s a timing issue. What would be the best process to check it. Two man job?

bseager

Follow the FiTech instructions to dial it in at idle. Then increase the RPMs and watch the hand held and timing light. Adjust the distributor till the timing matches what the handheld says the timing is.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Welp timing all checks out. Matches perfectly through rpm range. Also ran my wires around the back of the engine to get them away from alternator and distributor, fitech guy said there could be some noise. Tried different coil, wires and plugs. Checked compression on all cyls. All checks out. Maybe it needs to do its learning thing. But the thing that gets me is the first unit ran fine almost immediately. I’m almost about to say to hell with it.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I havnt read all the way through this but you stated that its only hitting on 5 or 6 cylinders, can you pull the plugs and see which ones seem to not be firing or do you have one of these, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-20610
to check to see if you are getting fire to each cylinder. If it is getting fire and comp is good then its got to be fuel, is there anyway something may have gotten in the intake runners and clogging them up not allowing enough fuel to get to the cylinders. I know it a long shot but may be worth checking.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well my forehead slap moment arrived. The culprit was a bad fuse holder. Brand new but defective. We're on our way now!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Holy cow Mark! Almost a let-down, but you had zeroed in on a power problem a couple of weeks ago, so it was time and work well spent.

What kind of electrical system are you running? And what type of fuse panel/box/holder were you using? Is this a separate one from the main harness fuse panel?
Got pics?

I hope that's it. Sure would be nice!

Paul

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, update here. Picked up the rig from shop, it ran okay for still being in learning mode. Drove 5 miles, it hot warmed up and it joined the MultiBeast club...No fuel pressure, no run.
Paul, the fuse was in line with a relay that's part of my security system. One leg of the fuse was burned and allowing only 4 volts. Replaced with a circuit breaker. So this seems to be a temperature related issue like MB.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Mark!!! Noooooo! I’m still at a standstill waiting to here back from fitech on some data logs. Veteran hendrick racing mechanic told me it 100% sounds like a grounding issue. My whole issue with this is that it ran fine for about ten days back in August right after install

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Also mark, my issue has nothing to do with fuel pressure anymore. That issue was caused by a faulty fitech in line fuel pump that eventually blew the regulator on the fitech. I now run the summit pump with an adjustable regulator. Get a solid 58psi. It just runs really rough. But I’m hoping now that it is learning. Just moved into a new house and haven’t had time to touch it in the past week

NYLES

Bronco Guru
All I can say is I wish I saw this before I bought one...………
I just bought two of these Fitech systems , One for my Dads bronco one for mine. My Dads runs great no problems.(thank god) Mine runs good till it warms up ,then stumbles and then dies.. So I will start to try and find out what the issue is. Thank you all for posting this up for the rest of us to start the process of getting our broncos back on the road.

Dave

get non fitech water temp sensor for intake, dualast SU109 or equivalent

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Mark!!! Noooooo! I’m still at a standstill waiting to here back from fitech on some data logs. Veteran hendrick racing mechanic told me it 100% sounds like a grounding issue. My whole issue with this is that it ran fine for about ten days back in August right after install

I see you are in NC and mentioned Hendricks to assume you are near Charlotte. My shop is about 3 hours north. If you want one weekend and can trailer it up I would be happy to take a look at it with you. I’ve installed many units and helped many others get past their issues. 9 times out of 10 it is not the EFI unit. Being the problem persists with a second unit is telling me there is an issue elsewhere. I also have a few units in stock and can drop on a known working unit as well to try if need be. My guess is telling me electrical and possible ignition. If interested, let me know.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That is a real nice offer EC. It would be good to see MB get his running right. All these issues has me a little worried when I get to the point of firing mine up. I see a few issues with the temp sending unit that comes with the Fitech. Have you experienced this? Thanks, Ken

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
That is a real nice offer EC. It would be good to see MB get his running right. All these issues has me a little worried when I get to the point of firing mine up. I see a few issues with the temp sending unit that comes with the Fitech. Have you experienced this? Thanks, Ken

I have and I just toss the one that comes with the unit for a delphi replacement.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I second the thank you. I'll pick one up this morning and give it a try. Mark