• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone using a solar charger for their Bronco??

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Has anyone used a solar charger to keep their 12v battery topped off while parking the Bronco?

Sometimes I park my Bronco and don't drive it longer than I'd like to admit and every now and then my battery is dead. Sure I can pop start it but it would be great if I didn't have to.

Any suggestions on a solar charger I could leave on the dash to charge it?

Thanks in advance!
:cool:

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I used one for my friends F350 diesel for years when it was parked at my house outside and it worked. And Portland doesn't have that many clear days ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Have you considered a battery disconnect?

I have a 70W panel on the Xterra. Runs the ARB freezer fridge. Modern panels do a good job even on overcast days (they are still derated). That's been running for 7 years now. The panel I am open to many options. I have a poly crystline panel because it was the one that was the right size. But the mono crystline panels are generally a better panel. I would keep the charge controller, sunkeeper SK6.
But this is all overkill by multiple factors for a battery maintainer.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
My Yukon Denali has a parasitic battery leak so the battery dies after a few days. I put a cheap Harbor Freight solar panel on it, the type and plugs into the cigarette lighter and sits on the dash. It’s worked great for 3 years even in partial shade.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I've used them for years on my boat, cabover camper and tractor. I'm just using 5w models from bass pro. They keep you from having to buy new batteries each season.

FordFarmer

Contributor
Can't recommend a model myself but there's at least 100 guys here using them on their airport cars which may only be driven once or twice a year. Northern Tool, Harbor Freight and Amazon seem to be popular sources.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Has anyone used a solar charger to keep their 12v battery topped off while parking the Bronco?

Sometimes I park my Bronco and don't drive it longer than I'd like to admit and every now and then my battery is dead. Sure I can pop start it but it would be great if I didn't have to.

Any suggestions on a solar charger I could leave on the dash to charge it?

Thanks in advance!
:cool:

I have a "battery tender" that's hooked up to an outlet. However, coincidentally, I was looking at their version of the solar paneled "battery tender". It's a bit over $60, but I think it will be well worth the money. Plus, the main line is permanently hooked to my battery. All I have to do is disconnect the power source and connect the solar panel. Simple! #NextPaycheck

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...Format=grid&impressionTimestamp=1547737928302

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have a "battery tender" that's hooked up to an outlet. However, coincidentally, I was looking at their version of the solar paneled "battery tender". It's a bit over $60, but I think it will be well worth the money. Plus, the main line is permanently hooked to my battery. All I have to do is disconnect the power source and connect the solar panel. Simple! #NextPaycheck

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...Format=grid&impressionTimestamp=1547737928302

Me too. I might have to check into getting one.:p;);D

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use NOCO tenders on everything that's not running. I have over a dozen of them. I use NOCO's solar panels on the stand-up jet-ski's in the summer. The solar panel uses the same harness wired into the battery that the 110 volt tender uses on them in the winter. The jet-ski batteries are always charged when I go to ride them even when not being used for a month. I have the same harness wired into the Bronco and it's always plugged-in when not being used. I guess you'd say I'm sold on them.

Here's their solar panel https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7GC518/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I opted to go with this accessory https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H36Y65O/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Broncobowsher

Total hack
eBay was flooded with VW shipping chargers a few years ago.

Lots of dedicated solar maintainers on the market. But beware if you get something extremely basic or put it together yourself. Even a low wattage panel can cook a battery. That is what the charge controllers are for. It is a voltage regulator so the solar doesn't cook the battery.