• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Flooding

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
When I shut off the Bronco when it is hot or if I lug it down and it dies it behaves as though it is flooded. It will not restart immediately unless I hold the pedal down on the floor. No problem with cold starts or if it sits for a while after I have shut it off. This is a recent thing and hasn't always done it.

Am I overlooking something obvious?

The engine is a basically stock '71 302 with 87 Mustang SD EFI, shorty headers and mild RV cam. All pollution control monitoring has been defeated with the appropriate resistors. Other wise the EFI is stock also.

It doesn't run rich.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
It will not restart immediately unless I hold the pedal down on the floor.

Any codes???

Sounds like it really is flooded, as holding the pedal down disables the injectors. Speed density's fuel control comes from a look up table and a few sensors Look in Probst's book at the crank strategy, then check out those sensors. Maybe the air or coolant temp sensors, as the problem is different under different temp condiditons?

If problem persists, add one beer, and repeat.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Try the Idle Air Control valve. Mine had exactly the same symptoms and then finally stuck open with it idling at about 1500 RPM's. Once I swapped the valve it was normal again.

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Thats funny, I have other troubles that I am pretty sure are related to a sticky idle air valve. Didn't mention them because I just didn't even think about it. You know, you figure something out then since it doesn't seem important enough to fix right now you move on and forget it. :)

Thanks I will give it a try this weekend.

OP
OP
00gyrhed

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
If any of you still subscribe to or are watching this thread turns out I somehow missed the 21 code for the ECT sensor. REplaced it yesterday and everything id back to normal. No more flooding at high engine temps, no more hunting idle.

Thanks for the help