• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech Frustration! Fuel pressure takes a dive once hot

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
All good over here. Runs better than it ever has! Baked about 5000 miles off my rear bfg mud terrains just to be sure! Looks like my issue was a major exhaust leak at the inner part of my header collectors. I also moved o2 sensor from down around transfer case to up to collector, so that could’ve helped too. I don’t care what fixed it, it’s fixed! Time to enjoy the summer boys!!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, congrats finally!
Let's hope it stays the course!

Paul

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Right on! Good to hear you have it running and having fun. Hope to be right behind you.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Thanks fellas. The weight that has been lifted off of my shoulders is immense!!! Lesson to all... If your fitech, or any fuel injection for that matter, is running like a turd- smoke your whole system. Intake exhaust everything. HUGE thanks to Englewoodcowboy and his whole operation,which I’ll be enlisting for the coyote swap in my ‘77, he steered me in the right direction immediately and was more than happy to help me get my bronco buckin again!!! Thanks buddy, and thanks to all of you guys just the same!!!

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, I have to ask how you smoke the exhaust system. Mine is all brand new but ya never know!

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, I have to ask how you smoke the exhaust system. Mine is all brand new but ya never know!

clog the tailpipe with a rag or piece of foam, need to do this anyway when the motor is smoked, most likely 1 of the exhaust valves will be open and allow the smoke to travel through the exhaust system, if this doesn't work you can always just install the smoker in the tailpipe, which will be quicker if that's all you want to check, if you do install in tailpipe be sure to cover the air intake path, the system needs to be completely closed off

Eoth

Bronco Guru
You can also tape a shop vac to the tailpipe and blow into it. Use a spray bottle with soapy water and look for bubbles.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Mark, I capped exhaust side that didn’t have o2 sensor. I have an h pipe so it eventually got over there. Ran smoker up the other exhaust pipe and gorilla taped it in there. Had smoke pouring out of the center of the collectors. Also smoked the intake, by putting smoker on my vacuum port for transmission and gorilla taped the fitech. FYI had a leak from the shitty little nipple cap on the back of the fitech, which might not leak when it’s actually running. Replaced it anyway with a tighter vinyl one.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good information. What do you use to generate the smoke? That's what usually happens when I'm allowed in the kitchen....

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Used my neighbors automotive smoke machine. Kinda pricey tool to have if you don’t use it often...

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The only exhaust leaks that matter are on the side with the sensor if they are before the sensor. Leaks afterwards don't really matter - I had issues with my setup working lose and the performance would gradually degrade until I let everything cool and tighten everything back up. I'm sick of playing those games so I've switched one side over to a v-band and I'm going to do the same with the drive side.

Mine has been running flawlessly going on two years of straight abuse.

DaveyGeez

Loc.
Mountain Ranch
I don't know where to post a new FiTech question, but it is related to this thread.
What does Fault Code 21 mean? My problem occurs under full load heavy acceleration, not necessarily high RPM. The AFR Trim goes to 50. The engine bucks, hesitates and recovers when I let off the throttle. Could this be a bad pump? The data log file shows Fuel Pump at 95-100. I wish FiTech would publish a chart for Fault Codes.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't know where to post a new FiTech question, but it is related to this thread.
What does Fault Code 21 mean? My problem occurs under full load heavy acceleration, not necessarily high RPM. The AFR Trim goes to 50. The engine bucks, hesitates and recovers when I let off the throttle. Could this be a bad pump? The data log file shows Fuel Pump at 95-100. I wish FiTech would publish a chart for Fault Codes.

The tech section is a real good place to post technical questions. Just click on "new thread" just above all the other threads. You get to start a thread just about your problem without hijacked problems that other people are having.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But the good news is that posting here does get lots of air play and is seen by quite a few.
Not sure what the codes mean either, but isn't there a chart someone put up on their facebook users page? Seems like there are a lot of recommendations to check that out for the technical expertise of the users.
Never seemed like facebook would be a good place for tech, but I guess it can be when the right people are there.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well you actually are in the tech section in this thread, but a new discussion would not hurt either.
Maybe just titled "Anyone Know FiTech Codes?" or something like that.

Crossing fingers...

Paul