• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tallest tire on 17" Dodge steelies

OP
OP
B

BigB

Morning.... Hey BigB, Slightly off topic here. I would like to know how you are sourcing the Dodge wheels, salvage yard, new? I have been rolling this idea of steelies around in my head for awhile now and have come up with 3 options. Factory stock Bronco/F150 wheels, Dodge wheels or the new multi-lug universal fit steel wheel. Any info would be appreciated. Again, excuse the diversion. Thanks

I haven't gone to my local salvage yard yet. I just looked online and ebay. There are sets that have been refurbished and painted black for $380. I have seen some refurbished for as low as $65 but that seller only had a single wheel.

I'd be surprised if yards near me would let a wheel go for cheaper than $50 and then I would have to pay to dispose of the tire.

OP
OP
B

BigB

I'm rolling the 285/75/17 AT2s on my 17" wheels - wouldn't have any hesitation running them on 7" rims. The E's definitely ride rougher than load range C's. Unfortunately, as you've discovered, most of the 17s are E. When the Toyos wear out, I'm going to go with load range D BFGs.

Todd Z.

Good to know about the 285 on a 7" rim although Toyo has a range of 7.5-9.5 for that tire. I would prefer to stay within the manufacturers guidelines.

I wonder would the load range C Nitto ride better than the AT2 in E with it's more aggressive tread?

OP
OP
B

BigB

Hmmmm

The AT2's come in at $500 cheaper for a set of 5. Though the Nitto's have deeper tread!

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Vince: I bought some off CL for 1sicbronconut out in the East Valley a few years ago. So they're out there.

Todd Z.

Why yes you did, thinking they were like a whole $100 for all four!! Another option I haven't seen mentioned here is the BFG All Terrain in 34" x 10.5" x 17" I'm running them on my 05' F150 and they are just shy of 33" tall they would be a great tire size for a lots of LUBER folks. Said wheels with 255/85 17" BFG muds

Attachments

• LUBER 255's.jpg
    LUBER 255's.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 96

jagbucket

i got my wheels from a tire shop that sells custom wheels. you have to go in person or they will not look

68ford

Bronco Guru
12.50 wide tires on 7in wide wheels is very normal in desert racing. No one ever runs wider than 8in wide wheels. Here's a pic of a wider than average 12.50 bfg Baja tire on 6in wide wheels and the tire still holds it shape fine and there on a light vehicle.

https://goo.gl/images/LxDegY

OP
OP
B

BigB

12.50 wide tires on 7in wide wheels is very normal in desert racing. No one ever runs wider than 8in wide wheels. Here's a pic of a wider than average 12.50 bfg Baja tire on 6in wide wheels and the tire still holds it shape fine and there on a light vehicle.

https://goo.gl/images/LxDegY

I understand that many people run a wider than manufacturers recommended tire/wheel width, but I want to stay within those guidelines.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Do you have wheels with a similar offset to the steelies?

Sorry I didn't see this before BigB.
I have Wheel Vintiques brand in 15x7 with 4" backspace and small, 31x10.50x15 BFG's

Paul

OP
OP
B

BigB

Sorry I didn't see this before BigB.
I have Wheel Vintiques brand in 15x7 with 4" backspace and small, 31x10.50x15 BFG's

Paul

No worries mate, not life threatening and you're busier than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest around here ;D

68ford

Bronco Guru
I understand that many people run a wider than manufacturers recommended tire/wheel width, but I want to stay within those guidelines.

Have you seen how a 33x12.50 looks on a recommended 10in wide tire? I understand that is recommended but have you ever seen an oem wheel and tire look that bubbly on a new vehicle? I have not. Now look at a 12.50 on an 8in wide wheel and it looks correct and just like oem tires.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been running Nitto Trail Grappler AT's on my SD (17 X 7.5 rim) for the last 8 years or so. Think I'm on my third set. IMO they are a great tire, always wear evenly (even without routine rotating), quiet and great in the rain and snow. Very little off-road experience with them so no comment in that regard. Haven't had one issue with any of them though.

OP
OP
B

BigB

I've been running Nitto Trail Grappler AT's on my SD (17 X 7.5 rim) for the last 8 years or so. Think I'm on my third set. IMO they are a great tire, always wear evenly (even without routine rotating), quiet and great in the rain and snow. Very little off-road experience with them so no comment in that regard. Haven't had one issue with any of them though.

What tire size are you running? I think I looked at them and they are under 34" at their biggest?

Is an SD rim a steel wheel? Got a link or photo of them on your Bronco?

Thanks.

OP
OP
B

BigB

I ended up having to order my steelies online. Got 4 for $54ea shipping incl and 1 for $60. They are listed as reconditioned.

The only local yard I found to have them was an hour away plus wanted $65.

My machinist told me $20-25 per wheel as he stated every wheel needs to be re set up on his bridge port. I will go that route as I can't be bothered screwing around trying to do it myself.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I ended up having to order my steelies online. Got 4 for $54ea shipping incl and 1 for $60. They are listed as reconditioned.

The only local yard I found to have them was an hour away plus wanted $65.

My machinist told me $20-25 per wheel as he stated every wheel needs to be re set up on his bridge port. I will go that route as I can't be bothered screwing around trying to do it myself.

Not bad... Look forward to Pics..

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just scored some used 275/70 17's BFG AT's from work we'll see how they look/work on the 17" Dodge steel wheels. It's easy to enlarge the center holes I made a jig by bolting a steel plate the back of the wheels, found the center drilled a pilot, and used a hole saw to enlarge the hole.

OP
OP
B

BigB

Just scored some used 275/70 17's BFG AT's from work we'll see how they look/work on the 17" Dodge steel wheels. It's easy to enlarge the center holes I made a jig by bolting a steel plate the back of the wheels, found the center drilled a pilot, and used a hole saw to enlarge the hole.[/QUOT

Saw your post on the jig you made.

Was it pretty easy to drill? I have no idea of the amount of material that is needed to be removed nor have I ever tried to drill out a wheel!

And what size was the hole saw?

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What tire size are you running? I think I looked at them and they are under 34" at their biggest?

Is an SD rim a steel wheel? Got a link or photo of them on your Bronco?

Thanks.

Sorry Big, not on my Bronco. My SD (Superduty) truck.
Factory Ford steel wheels. Tires are 285/75R/17 and yes height is just under 34". Specs at 33.86. The pic is back in 2010 or so. The newer version is the G2.

Attachments

• SuperDuty018.jpg
    SuperDuty018.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
B

BigB

Sorry Big, not on my Bronco. My SD (Superduty) truck.
Factory Ford steel wheels. Tires are 285/75R/17 and yes height is just under 34". Specs at 33.86. The pic is back in 2010 or so. The newer version is the G2.

No worries mate! Truck looks nice and clean...

My wheels are in the mail so no turning back now ;D

I'm going to go with the Toyo AT2's. From memory they are over a $100 cheaper per tire than the Nitto's. Not sure I need an extra inch(girlfriend say's no ;D) for an extra $500.

Plus I still have my MTR's to use in the woods and just using these on the street.