• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

95 e150 5.8 swap

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Are there any other ECM's that could be used with this application?

That's a trick question of sorts.

Sure you can use the earlier Mustang ECM's and even the explorer ECM but you will have to get a different harness and source a few parts such as distributor and or coil packs depending on what you use (Stang or Explorer). That's why I went with the SN95 suff. Cost me little to nothing to rework the harness myself vs. buying something plus I could reuse everything I already had.

The SD harness and the SN95 stuff (94-95) is just very close vs the earlier Stand stuff. The Explorer is WAY different than the SD harness and OBDII vs the stand stuff being OBD1. The main difference between the early Stang and the the 94-95 is the ignition wiring.

Painless sells a Stang EFI harness for use with the 90-93 Stang ECM's. It can be used with a 94-95 ECM too but you have to change a few wires and use a different distributor.

Tim

OP
OP
tk1218

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
So I found a 94 cobra PCM for a manual trans. Will this work for this application? Research suggests that I might need 24ld injectors or that it might need to be chipped.

thanks for your help.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I don't know much about the 94 cobra ECM's. 94-95 should work but any of them will need a chip. I always look to the Stang boards for info. I found this......

I have a 1994 GT with mild mods. Planning to swap to 347. Is it a good idea to swap stock ECU to cobra unit? Selling for $75. I know I need to change to 24 injector and mass air and what else? Or should I get a burn chip? From?
The Cobra from what i've read is supposed to have a better air fuel curve. In order to put it in your stock GT you need to leave the mass air meter you have in the car because both the GT and the Cobra use the same mass air meter calibrated for 19lb injectors. The difference is the Cobra computer itself compensates for this interneally so you can run 24lb injectors. Sounds a little wierd but beleive me I've been where your at and have investigated it completely.

Personnally the honest truth is that both the GT(T4MO) and Cobra (J4JL)computers suck. Both are gonna pull timming when you need it the most, during acceleration and changing gears. I would do an A9L conversion or get a custom burned chip or tweecer. I don't car for chips because I change my combo up to often which means I would be getting it reburned constantly. I don't care for tweecers because I don't have the patience to sit there and adjust tables. I went for the A9L conversion because it was a huge improvement over stock and I can run pretty much whatever I want and don't have to fool with it.

Tim

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
You will need a carb intake and a new distributor with correct gear for the roller cam in that engine. Of course a carb too........

Tim

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The Cobra from what i've read is supposed to have a better air fuel curve. In order to put it in your stock GT you need to leave the mass air meter you have in the car because both the GT and the Cobra use the same mass air meter calibrated for 19lb injectors. The difference is the Cobra computer itself compensates for this interneally so you can run 24lb injectors. Sounds a little wierd but beleive me I've been where your at and have investigated it completely.

Personnally the honest truth is that both the GT(T4MO) and Cobra (J4JL)computers suck. Both are gonna pull timming when you need it the most, during acceleration and changing gears. I would do an A9L conversion or get a custom burned chip or tweecer. I don't car for chips because I change my combo up to often which means I would be getting it reburned constantly. I don't care for tweecers because I don't have the patience to sit there and adjust tables. I went for the A9L conversion because it was a huge improvement over stock and I can run pretty much whatever I want and don't have to fool with it.

Tim

The factory Cobra tunes that I've seen are all pretty hack. A lot more care went into writing the standard production calibrations. But a chip overwrites the calibration anyway.

BTW Tim, you do know that changes to your chip are free right? Just pay for shipping. I can also set you up with a chip burner at a reasonable cost and e-mail you tune changes as well.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If putting a chip in any computer, don't pay a premium for the computer. That is a Cobra computer is a waste of money unless you are actually using it in stock tune (in a cobra). You can get a Cobra program on the chip and put that chip on a normal mustang computer. Better yet, have that Cobra tune tweaked for the 351 displacement.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
BTW Tim, you do know that changes to your chip are free right? Just pay for shipping. I can also set you up with a chip burner at a reasonable cost and e-mail you tune changes as well.

Yes sir and I just keep putting it off because you hooked me up and then I went and changed things AFTER you hooked me up LOL. I feel your time can best be served helping those that don't shoot themselves in the foot. LOL

I'll get around to it this spring I hope. I got to set my mind to sitting down and doing a few tests and verifying a few things (I think my brake booster might be leaking) and get my retune. I want to rule out ALL possible issues on my end but I know it's the cam change that's got things amiss.

I just enjoy driving it so much even with the self inflicted tune issue. Plus I bought some Samuria's and got into mess with that......

Tim