• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Factory Power Steering ?'s

EarlyBronc74

Loc.
Central Texas
So I have a 74 Bronco 3 spd, manual steering, manual brakes. I recently acquired a factory power steering box from the same year. My question is what parts do I need to complete the swap to look factory. I am eventually going to do the Explorer serpentine swap but for now, I want to run the v-belt setup.

I need specifics if possible so I can start sourcing the parts. Thank you in advance and Happy New Years.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
You will need the power steering pump and mounting bracket,a two groove pulley on the harmonic balancer,the return line from the steering box to the pump and the oil cooler for the hot fluid and the line going to the steering box.I would look at some of the vendors websites like Wild Horses and Bronco Graveyard to get an idea and pictures and you can buy what you need from them or find out what you need and pick up what you need off of ebay and a local auto parts store for the fluid lines you will need.You might want to go with the "ham can" style fluid pump if you do heavy off roading or stick to the original style pump and some stores carry the stock pump but the bracket is hard to find an original and I used the bracket Wild Horses sells and it has a good clean look and doesn't cost that much.But first check the parts for sale on here and maybe run an ad for parts wanted.Hope this helps.

Last edited:

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I don't have part numbers for you, but I'd recommend using the Saginaw power steering pump rather than the Thompson pump. I have a new Thompson pump and it likes to make a lot of noise and routinely puke power steering fluid on the ground. I can hear the whine of the pump while driving straight as the steering damper puts a little strain on the pump.

Certainly it could be an issue with me not bleeding it enough (I've bled it many times, lock to lock raised in the air), or me not following correct start up procedure - which I read about *after* I installed the pump...something about hooking up a drill to the pump to pre run/prime/bed it before starting the engine.

If you plan to use the explorer front dress, there's no reason to go complete stock here.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Stock look also had a double groove water pump pulley. You can pretty much get a power steering pump and brackets off about any early 302 and it will be stock look. I ran the stock thompson pump for years never had any issues with them If the pump is making noise most likely its worn out or was a poor rebuild.
The one place that will be hard to get a stock look is the steering shaft that hooks to the box as few people will want to try and run a rag joint its just not worth the effort. Id just go with a new shaft like the vendors offer. much better look.

needsmoarturbo

Get a Saginaw pump and don't look back. As for hoses if you have a local hydraulic hose shop you can just take them the pump and box and they can make up just about any hose if you tell them what kind of elbows on the end how long to make them, or just order stock hoses, but I can't remember if they interchange with the Saginaw pressure side.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I LIKED WHAT NEEDSMOARTUEBO Had to say. Saginaw is the only way to go IMHO. I'll say their just about twice as strong .. & I went to the local parts store & He built my hoses. ..
& I'll say the Ujoint & steering shaft gave me the most trouble in adding my power steering .
... I made several trips to the local wrecking yard.
... Don't know what you know about P/S BOXES.. bUT MOST WERE 6 Turns .. 6 turns are not much fun to drive. Live with it or ... Send it to one of the rebuilders & get it changed to 4 turns. Or 3.33 or some where in that order. When I sent mine to the P/S Shop rebuilder It was supposed to be 4 turns but mine came home at 3.25 turn. At 1st I hated it. But one day about 6 months later I realized I'd gotten used to it & It's perfect now.
.. We just sent another box to the builder ..P.S.C. Azle TX... 817-270-0102.. Our last build cost $395.00. Got it changed from 6 too 4 Turns .. new seals & tested under power & returned freight.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Planning on explorer accessory drive, use the parts you have now. Sure the Saginaw is better. But if you plan to take it off later, why bother?

Column is different, at least the inner shaft.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Running the standard 302 V8 as well? I think the I-6 was still available to '74, so wanted to check. And if a 351W there is only an additional adapter bracket required for the pump.

Most of us vendors have what you need, but you can source some of the stuff from the junkyard as well, or have custom hoses made at a local shop.
Our basic pump kit with pressure hose: WH P/S Pump Kit will get you the basic key bits.
Adding a pre-made return line is easy, and we also have a part for that: Return Line w/Fitting which should get you the connection from the box back to the pump.
Assuming it is in fact an original Bronco box. You confirmed that?

We only sell the custom aftermarket dual-groove pulleys: WH Aluminum Pulleys which are very nice, but as said if you can find factory pulleys with the proper offset and bolt pattern, you can use anything you want as long as it fits correctly.
Be careful though. I found a matched set once, but came across plenty of Ford pulleys that would not work.

I agree a cooler is a must. Plenty running around without them pretty successfully, but plenty more adding wear and tear due to over-hot fluid. A factory Bronco cooler is cool if you can source one. Otherwise something like this should work: Power Steering Cooler
Does not have to be anything huge to get the job done. But ultimately might depend on what size tires and whether or not you will take the Bronco off-road where it puts more stress on the system.

You will need to adapt your existing steering column shaft to the new box. The manual box has a 3/4 x 36 spine interface, and the power steering box (if it's original and still stock) would have had a 13/16 x 36 shaft. Easy enough to swap in though.
You can maybe find a stock power steering lower, but if not, and no adapting stock junkyard shaft is available (not sure if any exist anymore?) a fully collapsible heavy duty shaft like this would be the ticket: Steering Shaft Information Page

So after all that self promotion, that's basically what you need to get up and running.
You can do part of that, or all of it for a full installation. Different ways to achieve all the parts too, but those show you what the others were talking about at least.

Good luck.

Paul