• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake light switch and power disc conversion

$$PIT

Loc.
The OC, CA
I recently discovered that my brake lights haven't been working properly since I did a front power disc conversion. When the engine was off, they worked fine (which is how I originally checked their function), but with engine running, the lights wouldn't come on until the pedal was mashed way down. Apparently, the return spring on the brake light switch was so stiff that with the booster assist, the wasn't enough pressure on the pedal assembly to overcome the spring pressure and activate the brake lights until the pedal pushed down to near it's limit. I fixed the problem by disassembling the switch (i.e. bending the tabs that hold everthing together) and replacing the original spring with a softer one of the same diameter that I found in the garage. I don't know if this is a common problem (or a common fix that everyone else knows about already), but I thought I'd pass it along in case it helps someone else.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've had the same problem. been lookig for a solution. thought about putting a button style switch on a bracket under the dash that the pedal arm bumps against.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I ran across one that was bad because the owner had driven it with no plastic flanged bushing between the switch and the pedal. With no bushing the pedal action overtravels the switch and bends the plate that the flat end of the brake rod rubs against. When it gets bent it is very hard if not impossible to actuate. If the plate is not straight that the push rod hits against the switch is bad.

Ford is still using that switch on late 90's cars, and suv's. Go to your local yard and get the flanged bushing, two side washers, good switch and safety clip. Note how it is put together. The 2000"s seem to have nearly the same switch but they have other things on the brake pedal for whatever reason.