Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 05/20/13, 09:23 AM   #31
maup

Not all who wander are lost...

Roanoke, VA
Garage
Subscribed. Definitely interested...I have a 99 explorer motor waiting for me to rebuild, think I have all of the injector harness and I might have the 02 harness, doubt I have more than that for wiring, and I know I don't have the computer...

Would be hooking up to the original 3spd column shift or possibly a NV3550 depending on timetable...Not sure what that does to the harness though...

'67 Bronco. Slowly working on Explorer/NV3550 swap...any slower and it would gather moss.
maup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 09:30 AM   #32
Crawdad
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Spending hundreds on tools to save $10 in repair costs

Columbia, SC

My Gallery
Subscribed!

1977 Project uncut tub & frame, 33x10.50x15 KM2s on stock 15x6s, ACC vinyl floor, 6pt Crab Cage, eyebrow grill, 5.0 efi 302, C4 http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229232
76 Ranger SOLD
CarolinaBroncosMember
Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 09:42 AM   #33
rjrobin2002
Contributor
Bronco Guru

75 bronco, 5.0 mass air, C4, 4.5" lift, 35" General X3s, 4.56 gears

Elm Grove, LA
This will save a ton of money for us. A engine harness is 500, a used computer is 200, and a bauman controller is 500 more. We will come out 700 ahead and be OBD 2.
rjrobin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 10:49 AM   #34
EFI Guy
Sponsor/Vendor

Offering A-Ford-able EFI.

Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobin2002 View Post
This will save a ton of money for us. A engine harness is 500, a used computer is 200, and a bauman controller is 500 more. We will come out 700 ahead and be OBD 2.
That's the idea behind it.

Let me see if I can get some questioned answered here.

In terms of processing power, the early Mustang stuff runs at 12mhz and has a single bank of memory. OBD2 runs anywhere between 18-27mhz and has 4 banks of memory.

The Explorer setup also has other benefits, such as a no distributor to worry about timing correctly or wearing out. There is also the ability to pull codes easily and cheaply, not to mention the capability to monitor actual engine data. Letís face it, pulling flash codes isnít any fun, and the ability to monitor data isnít cheap on the Mustang stuff.

This package is really meant for people using the stock Explorer motor and stock electronics. I can make it work with a mild 351 as well. It's not geared towards the high HP junkies with big heads, cams, injectors, and MAFs. It would be very difficult to mail order a tune for something like that, but it is possible. If you have something like that PM me and we'll see what we can do to get you going.

O2 sensors: You will need to run the 2 front O2 sensors, I can delete the rears from your tune and harness.

EGR: It can be kept, and is recommended. Most people claim that EGR actually increases gas mileage. You will need to use a VSS for it to operate. But it can be removed safely.

VSS: With the newest version of my tuning software it looks like it can be removed safely. I have a PCM in the mail to one of our members now that has it removed. We should have feedback on this soon. If you are keeping EGR or the 4r70w you should use a VSS. Dana 20 folks can use the common Mustang type of VSS. Atlas folks will need to get the harder to find in-line VSS.

Harness: The engine harness is a must for obvious reasons. 4r70w users must have the transmission sub harness. This is good to have anyway as I can use the O2 plugs and OSS plug to add to your engine harness. If you don't have it and are using a c4-c6 etc, I can still source the connectors cheaply and add them. Like this: (note this harness is not complete).

I will also need the firewall harness that connects to the engine harness. I don't need the entire thing but get as much length as you can get from the engine bulkhead connector and cut off the rest. If you have a donor vehicle get the OBD2 plug with as much length as possible as well. Like this:

I think that answers most of the questions, I'll see about putting together a write up soon.

Interested in running Explorer EFI? Click here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224697
EFI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 12:04 PM   #35
Roger

Who are we dealing with, is your name really EFI Guy? It's nice to know where your money is going. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Guy View Post
Ok guys, this will be the official feeler thread to set up an Explorer EFI mass buy.

I see that Explorer 5.0 swaps are becoming very popular, but most people seem to use the Fox Mustang electronics. While this works well, it adds to the cost because you then have to source the Mustang electronics and distributor, which are becoming pricey and harder to find. Add to that the cost of an aftermarket transmission controller if you want to run the 4R70W.

I aim to change all of that by offering an A-Ford-able solution to everyone that has access to a donor Explorer vehicle, and even those that donít. I have been working with the vendor of my tuning software in an effort to reduce my costs and pass the savings on to my Bronco brothers. We have come to an agreement that will lower the cost of my package by $100 if I do 5 at a time. That sounds like the perfect reason to setup a mass buy to me.

The package that I will be offering includes re-working your current Explorer harness, and re-flashing your current Explorer PCM to meet your needs. I will work with each of you individually to build a truly custom harness to fit your rig. This will include a small fuse box and the needed relays to make this a stand-alone system. I can also offer the harness and PCM to those that donít have them at a very reasonable price as they become available.

Cost: $450 + shipping for those of you that are part of the mass buy, however I canít offer it this cheap on an individual basis. For those of you that need the harness or PCM, add $80 each or $150 for both. Shipping costs will vary depending on which method you would prefer and how much you would like your package insured for. If this mass buy is successful I will continue offering it in groups of 5 to keep costs down.

Time line: It typically takes me 2 weeks to build each harness because I solder and heat shrink all splices, re-wrap the entire harness, and label all connections. I also have a day job that I must report to. Anyone that wishes to commit to the buy is welcome to send me their harness ahead of time and Iíll get started on it to reduce delay.

Deadline: I donít have a deadline set for the first batch yet. Iím hoping for feedback from the rest of you. If you are interested, please post up with a time frame that works for you. As soon as we have 5 people committed for the same time frame Iíll figure out a deadline for payment.

Payment: I really prefer a Postal money order. However, I realize that some of you may be building rigs on credit cards. My only option for credit cards is Paypal at the moment. While a really donít like Paypal, I will accept if for those of you that must use it.

I think that about covers the needed info. If you are interested, please post up. If you have general questions, please ask them here. If you have very specific questions that will only apply to your setup feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 01:05 PM   #36
EFI Guy
Sponsor/Vendor

Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Who are we dealing with, is your name really EFI Guy? It's nice to know where your money is going. Thanks
Hi Roger. My name is Garry.

I assume you would like to "know where the money is going" because a new vendor pops up and offers a mass buy. I respect that.

I'll tell you a bit about myself since I'm new to the board, and have only met a few of you guys. Maybe I'll have a customer or two chime in to say I'm not some Nigerian scammer, but I don't expect anyone to put their name on the line for me.

I did a harness for a member on here that is a member on another 4x4 forum that I'm part of. After showing his harness on here I started getting e-mails from other members here wanting theirs done as well. Because of the interest in my work from some of you folks, and wanting to tackle an EB for my next project, (I've been hoarding parts for a build for a while now) I figured I'd join up. I've learned quite a bit about EBs from you guys and have been trying to share my knowledge of EFI with the rest of you. I have been a die hard Ford fanatic since I was little. I think my dad may have brain washed it in to me. I have 2 Mustangs, an old Ford p/u and an 01 Explorer. I'm probably going to sacrifice my Mach 1 to get in to the saddle of an EB.

I started getting into tuning years ago with the Fox Mustang stuff. I still run a Fox to this day. I have been helping friends and locals with theirs for quite some time. It's a hobby more than anything, but I figured I might as well use my talent and turn this in to a business. The Vendor pricing is very fair here, and the brotherhood of you folks helping each other out was big draw to me.

I guess, I'm sort of a nerd when it comes to wiring and computers. Most people do crosswords or watch TV to pass the time, I enjoy the challenge of this as it keeps my brain active. So to answer where the money is going....

Some super nerdy guy that really loves Fords, is a mechanic by day, and is slowly turning a hobby / passion in to a business.

Interested in running Explorer EFI? Click here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224697
Old 05/20/13, 01:10 PM   #37
tasker
Contributor
all knowing of nothing

It's a jeep thing? you're all morons

The granite state

My Gallery
Garage
WILL be watching, 351 efi with 4r70w....4.56's basically stock motor

tasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 01:48 PM   #38
airbur
Bronco Guru

Castle Pines, CO
Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

Garry knows his stuff. My 427W would not be drivable had it not been for Garry's EFI tuning ability. He has it purring like a kitten. He's a member of our local club Alpine Classic Broncos and shares his knowledge there as well.

While I'm using the Quarterhorse for my system, I have no doubt that Garry can reprogram chips like the best of them.

1970 w/427W Injected Stroker
airbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 02:01 PM   #39
EFI Guy
Sponsor/Vendor

Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbur View Post
Garry knows his stuff. My 427W would not be drivable had it not been for Garry's EFI tuning ability. He has it purring like a kitten. He's a member of our local club Alpine Classic Broncos and shares his knowledge there as well.

While I'm using the Quarterhorse for my system, I have no doubt that Garry can reprogram chips like the best of them.

Thanks for the kind words Eric.

Feedback like that is more valuable to me and my biz than any short term profit.

Old 05/20/13, 02:09 PM   #40
br0nc0xrapt0r
Loves pickles

Fueled by Hate, caffeine, and sometimes whiskey.

Kent City MI

My Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Eric.

Feedback like that is more valuable to me and my biz than any short term profit.
Feed back, like that amazing cleanup of the rats nest that was my factory 95 harness? That was a miracle.

SEMPER FIDELIS

69 Exxon Valdez, 37" locked front and rear, Daily driver.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163762

WTB pulley cover for 1959 Homelite 9-23
br0nc0xrapt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 02:17 PM   #41
EFI Guy
Sponsor/Vendor

Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0nc0xrapt0r View Post
Feed back, like that amazing cleanup of the rats nest that was my factory 95 harness? That was a miracle.
Ha ha, that was the kind of brain stimulation that hurts a bit.
The before and after shots are a little impressive though.

It wasn't that bad, just gotta take it one wire at a time.

Thank you for the kind words as well.

Old 05/20/13, 02:28 PM   #42
TCheney
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbur View Post

So Garry's system won't use a Quarterhorse or Tweecer?
TCheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 02:34 PM   #43
904Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

So many Ford's, so little time...

Morgan Hill, CA
Garry, Thanks for the last post it clears up alot...

And thanks to guys that posted up that Garry does stand up work

So it sounds very do-able and I need to get the bulkhead connector and the OBDII test port from a donor to put this all together.

Too bad I have already p/up a Bowmann controller and the Mustang EFI stuff to go the other way... But I am sure that they would be easy to sell...

I am a little ways out from making the switch out to Explorer in my 68EB, but I will continue to montor this thread to see when you do the 1st round of the mass buy

Doug

1967 Poppy Red U15 Lubr... soon to be 96 Explorer EDIS and NV3550
1971 Grabber Green U15 Lubr... 2000 Explorer EDIS and 4R70W
2016 Shelby GT350 - Race red
2002 F250 Superduty 7.3 195K and still going!
1996 Saleen Mustang 122K... Project car
904Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 03:01 PM   #44
EFI Guy
Sponsor/Vendor

Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCheney View Post
So Garry's system won't use a Quarterhorse or Tweecer?
No sir, you send me the PCM with the harness. I directly flash the new tune to the Explorer PCM. That's why it can be difficult to do the heavily modded motors. If a change needs to be made you will need to mail the PCM back to me. I do all changes / re-flashing for free, you just need to cover shipping. I'll honor that for as long as I'm in business. Hopefully you guys keep me there.

904 Bronco, If you need to grab the bulkhead wiring and port, make sure you grab as much length as you possibly can. It's easier to cut wire than to add it.
I can also source them locally if need be for people that don't have them. I hit the boneyards around here every couple of weeks and I don't mark up the price for something like that very much.

Old 05/20/13, 04:13 PM   #45
904Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

So many Ford's, so little time...

Morgan Hill, CA
Quote:
904 Bronco, If you need to grab the bulkhead wiring and port, make sure you grab as much length as you possibly can. It's easier to cut wire than to add it.
Ok I will ask a stupid question - bulkhead connector... are they all the same as long as it has a 5.0 in it? I am assuming the same for the OBD port?

It would make the search easier, since I do not have to look just for the 98 year that I have...

1967 Poppy Red U15 Lubr... soon to be 96 Explorer EDIS and NV3550
1971 Grabber Green U15 Lubr... 2000 Explorer EDIS and 4R70W
2016 Shelby GT350 - Race red
2002 F250 Superduty 7.3 195K and still going!
1996 Saleen Mustang 122K... Project car
904Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat