• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgraded To Power Disc Brakes

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have restored many Early Broncos and the story remains the same. Upgrading to Power Disc Brakes is the best Modification / Improvement you can do to your Bronco. Whether street driven, off road or whatever, PDB are #1 on my list. When looking for a Bronco I usually start with the 76-77 models for the disc brake setup among other things.

I have a very clean 69 which had the stock Drums front and rear. Upon inspection prior to taking apart, both front and rear Drums were in great shape and the front was virtually brand new. Even so, I knew it could be much better without having to stand on the brake pedal.

I know that all vendors sell Power Brake systems but I installed Tom's Power Booster/Bracket/MC/Lines and Proportioning Valve and Disc Brakes conversion from an eBay vendor. Could not have had better results.

The Brake feel now is night and day difference. I actually had to be careful and get used to the immediate response. Feels like a new car brakes system to me now.

Anyway, for those of you considering a Power Disc Brake conversion, I say do it. It will be the best improvement you can make to your Early Bronco. The safety factor just went up as well... Peace of mind to me.

Happy Building!

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
That's funny. I was just having this conversation with my buddy when he took my EB for a spin around the block last night. He has an older J##p w/ power steering/discs and you should have seen the look on his face when he returned. If he had such a hard time, I started thinking about what kind of hard time my wife will have if she ever decides she wants to take it for a spin. My concern for safety is now elevated as I think I might have to start looking for a disc brake system and power steering.
I believe I have the same as you. Great brake system all new all drum '69. But yeah, standing on the brakes is no fun.
So you are a fan of TBP's system?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
All the vendors have great kits but they are "expensive". You can piece it all together individually and save some cash but in the end the pre-engineered kits are "uber" convenient and come with nice instructions.

wheelsblank27

Loc.
Uh, that's like just your opinion man. Ive had drums w a power booster since I got my 68' , I drive my brothers 74 w hydro boost frequently and used to drive my dads 71' stroppe, without booster (scary). hydro boost is almost to much... My truck w 33' s and a booster stops just right. You must have had good power steering on all your rigs , cause that's #1 for sure if runnin anything larger than 31" tires

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a '68 Bronco that had the Dana 30 under it and drums. Seems that thing would always pull one way or the other and even worse when the brakes in wet conditions. I swapped out that 30 with a '77 disc brake 44 and power vacuum. Night and day difference. Of course that is what I felt I had to do in my opinion, as I went to 33x12.5s at that same time.

I have recently considered going hydro boost but right now my old '68 halfcab stops much better than my wife's 2010 Dodge Caliber. If not your first conversion, this should definitely be your second from a safety standpoint.