• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vapor Canister

canzelc

Contributor
When I removed the original evap system I had a bunch of old tubing laying on the floor of the garage so I cleaned it up, bent it up and painted it.

CraigS

@Canzelc - you're still just venting the gasses to the air. Is there a reason you didn't reconnect to the intake? This won't solve the issue of fumes in the garage, etc if that's what someone is trying to accomplish.

canzelc

Contributor
I plumbed the outlet side of the vapor canister to the open element air filter in front of the MAF. The last two pics in the post above show the connection. When the engine is running it pulls metered air through the vapor canister into the intake.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So would the intake tract connection you reference in the second part of your response be required?

It's not required for the tank to vent, which would hopefully help your current issue based on the symptoms. But it's required if you don't want at least some of those fumes to escape into the air.

I've been having stalling issues since the install. My shop is no longer in business and i can't get a hold of the mechanic to confirm why they did it this way.

No reason for them not to, unless you'd told them to reinstall missing equipment. That they might not even have been familiar with since lots of shops don't know that kind of stuff.
Even the older EB's (and other cars and trucks) didn't come with the canister setup until sometime in '70, so most shops are just going to do the minimal needed and call it good. Maybe someone somewhere will ask the customer if they want it updated (or in your case, returned to) to modern evaporative emissions standards, but most won't rock the boat.

Bronco runs like top up until i drive it too long and the tank pressure builds up(i think this is the cause based on my findings).

Did you say you drove it without the cap in place and no longer had the problem? Sorry if you did, but I don't remember (long weekend!%)) at this point.

Don't think I"m qualified to run any lines from the canister i ordered into an intake tract so need to know if this is a hard requirement or not. if so will need to find a mechanic to do this for me.

So yeah, not a hard requirement other than from the tank to the canister so the tank has a place to vent that might capture some of the fumes. But for it to function fully and correct, then yes you need the final connection between the canister and the intake.

hoping i can just run the vent from tank to canister and be done with it.

Worth a shot. In my case (the previous pic) I'm going to change it to fully connect to the intake tract as soon as I can. It's not bad, but anytime you come up to the passenger side of the truck after it's been driven, you can get a whiff or two of fumage. Not bad, but it's outdoors too. Can't say I've had it parked indoors, but Doug has and his garage did not smell that I know of. Not driven as extensively in the heat though, which might be the difference. All that expansion from heat is likely pushing some extra out the vent.
Of course, the person that noticed it was the future-wife. Needless to say that's all the reason I need to delve into it some more!%)
I'm a fan of finishing it off anyway, so will report back after the fact.

Because it's a '68 though, it's got the old style cap. Possibly the reason we don't get any really noticeable smell from the cap is that the venting system is more efficient at pulling them into the charcoal canister than the cap is at releasing much into the atmosphere.

Can anyone comment on this pic? it was commented that a hose needs to be run from the canister to the intake of the engine somewhere.
This pic that dirtdonk included only has the vent hose connected and all other holes capped off. my canister came in today and will be installing it this weekend. need to know whether i can bypass the connection to the intake since it was bypassed already, since no canister was installed during my efi conversion by my mechanic.

So how'd it go? Get it installed? You are correct in that the pic of my '68 is not of a fully functioning evap system. Likely "some" of the escaping fumes are getting sucked into the running engine through the intake, but as mentioned above, after a long drive in the heat you do smell some gas coming up out of the hood vent on that side.
Because it's an open element air filter, I might still get some while the engine sits even after I connect it. But only time will tell, and since the intake is pointed slightly downward at the business end there at the filter, this escaping might be very minimal. And not at all when the engine is running. Still considering capping off the filter box, but that's a project for another day.

Hope you got it dialed in this weekend as planned and no longer have the stalling.
But then again, that would be too simple. For a typical Bronco issue, you have to go down three rabbit holes, replace at least four perfectly good items to find a bad one, ask three different people to get three different opinions, then just Hail Mary it and hope you get lucky!
So good luck...;)

Paul

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
ask three different people to get three different opinions, then just Hail Mary it and hope you get lucky

That's the most accurate thing I've ever seen on this site.