• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Steering Box Has Play

H1media.com

I am now on my second steering box for my 1969 Bronco. Both brand new. I still have play at the steering wheel. I have followed the steering shaft and the play ends at the box. The pitman spline does not move when I wiggle the steering wheel. Is that normal?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All boxes have some play, so how much are we talking about here in terms of degrees of rotation at the steering wheel with no pitman arm movement?

OP
OP
H

H1media.com

All boxes have some play, so how much are we talking about here in terms of degrees of rotation at the steering wheel with no pitman arm movement?
I would say it has 8-10 degrees of play at the wheel with no movement at the pitman arm spline.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where/Who did you get the box from? What's the ratio on the box? All things considered, that doesn't sound out of line considering my factory '77 box has a similar amount of back and forth play and drives great.

OP
OP
H

H1media.com

Where/Who did you get the box from? What's the ratio on the box? All things considered, that doesn't sound out of line considering my factory '77 box has a similar amount of back and forth play and drives great.
First was from Wild Horses and 2nd is from PSC (Performance Steering Components). It's a Delphi 14:1 Ratio.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I have the xterra Delphi box on my 67 and that amount of movement seems normal to mine 8 - 10 degrees is almost nothing at the steering wheel

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First was from Wild Horses and 2nd is from PSC (Performance Steering Components). It's a Delphi 14:1 Ratio.

So what did WH say when you contacted them? How about PSC? Both provide excellent customer support and have the technical know-how to back it up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is the engine running? Power steering will have some play in it with the engine off. It is the torsion rod in the spool valve flexing to direct fluid to the pistons to give assist. Without the engine running the initial steering play is simply flexing the rod to the stops in the spool valve.

Is the steering box centered? The steering is tightest when centered but will have more play the closer to full lock. We are not talking dead center, just not at near lock. At near lock you can expect more play.