• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering box?

chriskent85

So I purchased the wild horses f100 power steering box from another member. I have decided to go another route. I want to go back to a steering box the is mounted on the outside of the frame. I see they have 4x4x2 boxes and nissan boxes. What box will be best for me. Im gonna run 37" tires. Mainly street driving.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 4x4x2 box is arguably much heavier duty than the Nissan box, so that should be the easy choice IMO. With that said, if you plan to run hydraulic ram-assist, then the box takes less of a beating and you could probably do either with good results.

I'm setting up my rig for 37's and will run the 4x4x2 with ram-assist.

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

Im not gonna be running a ram assist. Are there any members or venders that we can buy the 4x4x2 box already made up?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The great Justino sells 4x4x2 boxes. For vendors I think bc, wh, and west coast broncos sell the 4x4x2 ready to go. Wcb also sells a frame brace I'd recommend if you're turning 37s

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
... Wcb also sells a frame brace I'd recommend if you're turning 37s

X2...Steve has a good point, and whether you run West Coast Bronco's or make your own, reinforcing the frame where the box mounts should keep you from cracking out the frame in short order with 37's and no ram-assist, especially if you ever wheel it even moderately hard.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Just so you know, the 4x4x2 box isn't a direct bolt up to the frame. It has a wider spacing in the bolt pattern. WCB's makes an adapter plate, or you can redrill the frame with BCB's frame plate. It's drilled for both the stock box or the 4x4x2 box.

Mark