• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Soft top 77 Bronco - hushmat or not?

Redtractor

Loc.
Maybee (SE-MI)
Before I put the carpet in, should I put hush mat or other type of sound deadner in it? Does it help? also, how may square feet would I need to do the entire truck?

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You will get noise regardless with that soft top. Hushmat or Dynamat will help very little while going down the road. There's not much to gain for such a large investment. Now if you put a hardtop on then yes put matting all over the place.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I disagree. My '71 with insulation under carpet and a Kayline soft top is much quieter than my '68 with Raptor Liner, BedMat and a hard top. Much quieter...
The soft top might not exactly be much of a sound insulator in itself, but it's not an echo chamber like a bare hard top can be either.

Agree that a hard top that's fully insulated is the best of the three. But anything you do to quiet a Bronco down is a step in the right direction I say.

I'd almost have to say that more sound comes through the wheel wells than just about anywhere else. Yeah, you get wind noise, road noise, engine noise (and heat!), driveline noise, tire noise, funny mysterious flapping noises, and all that you would expect. But I've found that each time you reduce one of them, you can hear (and feel;D) the difference.
Heck, even just having no auxiliary tank under the driver's floor adds to the noise quotient.

I changed a rear pinion angle recently and it made things notably quieter inside the Bronco!
No kidding. But that was just part of the driveline noise you can hear. In this case a rattling transfer case was just a constant cacophonic companion while driving around and you would just have thought it was a normal part of the Bronco-experience.
I love the Bronco experience. But I'm still glad when some parts of it go away!;)

Paul

billtammy

I run the same combo soft top 35 bfg mud terrains. I bought the full carpet kit which comes with matting only for the front section so I bought Harbor Freight lock together mat for 7 bucks and put it under the rear carpet. Works great and easy on the knees when working back there.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... wow I've got to remember those matts from H/F..
... YES I've got everything from under the Kitchen Sink Under the carpet in my BRONCO.
EVERY ITEM I've add has helped a bit. I wanted to stop the dust more than the noise.
.... Bed Liners ... Undercoating ... bubble pack. silver backed insulation .. & CARPET...