• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate stuck

scottinga

Ok guys I have an issue. A bronco I bought has the tailgate stuck, almost like its bolted shut. The issue is, the latches,rods and handles have all been removed. I can't find anything that is causing it, I have pryed and pulled. I'm stumped.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Are the strikers and latch assemblies still there ? If so maybe you can use a thin blade to depress the latch "dogs " from the strikers.

OP
OP
S

scottinga

Are the strikers and latch assemblies still there ? If so maybe you can use a thin blade to depress the latch "dogs " from the strikers.

The actual latches have been removed....I don't have a clue what is binding it up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
are the hinges seized?

i would look down into the post holes and the cavity where the tail lights are at to make sure there are no screws or bolts you can't see.

OP
OP
S

scottinga

are the hinges seized?

i would look down into the post holes and the cavity where the tail lights are at to make sure there are no screws or bolts you can't see.

Haven't though about that, I'll try it. Thx

OP
OP
S

scottinga

ok, i cant see anything that is holding this thing shut. i can see and move the tailgate supports. i think im gonna cut it in half

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
before you do something drastic take something thin like a sawzall blade and slip it in the cracks. run it all the way around just to make sure nothing is jammed in there.

how much gap do you have on the inside of the tail gate where it meets the bed at the bottom? does the tail gate wiggle at all or is it stuck fast?

can you post a pic of it?

if your going to start cutting on it i would try and cut the hinges in half first. maybe start with a new cut off wheel and then goto a sawzall if the wheel won't cut it all the way through?

OP
OP
S

scottinga

I'll try to get pics posted tomorrow. Thanks

Quick & Dirty

Mine would get stuck on the supports fairly regularly. It has movement side to side, and would get off center a bit and hang up. Shove it back to center and it would open. Shove too hard and it would hang up on the other side.