• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine cutting out today - Coil Wire Getting Hot (update)

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Second video of sheet metal test didnt embed. Trying again.

[youtube]LsijaaBVS_0[youtube]

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Holley needs to send you a new carb. Sniper right? All the electronics are inside that thing so its obviously being effected by spark interference. Sounds like the carb has an internal noise issue. Another reason I'm going Terminator.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, I thought about this some more, take an ohmmeter and check your grounds to everything having to do with the holley setup. Try holley carb to frame, then holley to battery neg, then holley to base of dizzy. Try that same test you did except instead of touching the holley carb, ground the plate to the neg battery and slowly lower it but dont touch the wires, and dont you be touching anything grounded to car.... May get a jolt. Try it in the dark and see if you see any arcing.

How old are the plug wires?

I'm not saying the sniper couldn't be the main culprit, just trying to ID if that is the only bad piece in this puzzle. I'm also sure Holley will not want that video out....:)

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So apparently it was the coil.

After replacing the ignition module, plug wires, cap/rotor and countless hours looking for bad grounds and wires, it was the coil.

On Friday I dropped a new coil in and went wheeling in Big Bear with no issues!!!!

I emailed Holley tech to let them know and they said:

A coil if not insulated properly or not working properly can emit a HUGE amount of electrical inference. Sounds like the coil may have become defective or was just nearing the end of its lifecycle.

Hopefully Holley will let all their techs know and update their support info that a bad coil can interfere with the brains of the efi.

Thanks for all the input gents!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great news, hows the idle?

It still whistle? Dixy? Just kidding:)

I guess it makes sense, we are all used to the silence of a regular carb then this TBI throws in 60psi injectors right at ear level, i guess it would make some different sounds. Curious why back when TBI was new no one mentioned that as an issue other than thats about when they started developing air intake systems to make the motor quite.

Cooter_76

Glad you found the fix! Too bad you had to replace all those other parts to find it.

Regarding the whistle, I've noticed it with my Sniper as well. It's not consistent, but seems to happen under load/acceleration...sometimes. It doesn't bother me yet, but I'm glad you'd mentioned it in your thread. Otherwise it would have freaked me out!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you got to go wheeling. Hate to think a lowly ignition coil would have stopped that much fun.

Guess there's a good reason that most modern vehicles have the brains mounted far away from that potential interference.
One exception I can think of was the short-lived(?) Inline-5 from GM where the PCM was mounted to the driver's side front of the engine block. But maybe even there, the coil (or coil packs?) might have been on the opposite side of the engine with the whole big chunk of aluminum and spinning gizmos in-between to shield it?

Even though your new coil might outlive the engine before experiencing such a failure again, you might just consider moving it elsewhere now that you have a computer sitting on top of the engine right there with the rest of the ignition.
Maybe it's not necessary, but thinking long-term it would make sense. A longer coil wire is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Paul

OX1

Bronco Guru
Hopefully Holley will let all their techs know and update their support info that a bad coil can interfere with the brains of the efi.

So their EMI testing failed, but they
considered it a win, as it turns the entire
system into a faulty coil indication device?? ;D

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even though your new coil might outlive the engine before experiencing such a failure again, you might just consider moving it elsewhere now that you have a computer sitting on top of the engine right there with the rest of the ignition.
Maybe it's not necessary, but thinking long-term it would make sense. A longer coil wire is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Paul

Thanks Paul I took your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 76

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice! Clean work with all that nice (new looking?) horseshoe connector and factory wire colors. With all that and the distributor cap being black, is it all new aftermarket stuff?
Can't remember the last time I saw a black distributor cap and adapter.
Looks great.

Paul