• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any tear down advice or input

sillyjt

Loc.
mason city
I am looking for any advice or input on tearing into this thing. I am planning on going down to the frame. I have started with one door to thaw all the snow out. I have no top. Planning on doing other door, hood, front fender and interior. Have you guys found any real order in doing any of this or is it fairly straight forward? I am anxious to get thru the holidays and get some quality time getting intimate;)

OP
OP
sillyjt

sillyjt

Loc.
mason city
Forgot to add that the motor and tranny are already gone with the back axle. Still have transfer case and front axle.

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
PBlaster on the bolts the day before tear down. Expect to break some bolts, so have the angle grinder handy.

Label any wires you remove as to where they go if you are not doing a new harness.

Take the grill and fenders off as a unit and then break them down.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Unless your very familiar with what your working on, take lots of digital pictures of an assembly before you tear it down so that you know exactly how it goes back together.

Buy a box of quart and gallon zip locks with some sharpies so you can bag and tag everything.

Keep everything even if you plan to replace it, you'd be surprised how many little clips or parts you'll be pulling out of those bags before your finished.

As far as order, I like to do mechanicals first then body and paint with the interior last. I find keeping a schedule and 'to do' list helps me keep on track for an anticipated 'due date' The schedule is always fluid and changes daily but it can help you from missing something that could be overlooked.

ArmyCOL

Take pictures and measure everything three times, all angles you can think of, point to point measurements, and draw pictures if you do not take pictures. Best to take pictures import them to PowerPoint or something on those lines and write the measurements on the picture and save the file. Did I mention taking a lot of pictures. Box the bed before removing from the frame.

OP
OP
sillyjt

sillyjt

Loc.
mason city
I am good on my shots, and i think i have at least one scar from most of my projects lol. i have been taking lots of pics so far. I think i have read that the body will fold over if not supported. Will have to do more research on that one too. Thanks guys for all the input.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Good Luck and lets see some pics! I would add to this but all has been mentioned with the zip locks, sharpies, pictures and what not. Definitely support the body prior to removing from the frame.

suckerpunched

For me. its really depressing to have a vehicle completely disassembled. Body and chassis both completely apart. Takes up alot of space and Its easy (at least for me) to lose interest and give up. You have to be driven, to get it over "the hump" and start getting it back together. I prefer to leave the body as assembled as I can and build the chassis. This way I can see progress relatively quickly. Once that is done do all the body work and paint. Wiring interior and glass last.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Forget about trying to reuse bolts and screws. Buy one of the kits that has all new ones and press. Like someone else said, keep all the old ones just in case. Good luck!

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Yeah, been there, doing that. Check out the master build thread sticky at the top in Bronco Chat. Some pretty innovative folks here who have great ideas. x4 on taking alot of pics. Even you don't think you are taking any pics of anything special, take them all over. Up close, far away. Definitely brace it. If I had to do it all over, I would put on those nifty braces that bolt on to the door hinge bolt holes and door jam instead of welding. Good luck.

tw322

A full fridge of beer, a large wad of cash and a bottle of aspirin!

ccbronco

A large wad of cash or zero balance credit cards. Where was this thread before I got started? Three years ago. DOH!

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Make sure you pre fit everything, nothing more frustrating than trying to fit the painted top to the truck when you realize you didn't PRE FIT THE F'n thing and now you're having to bend and shape a painted top because things don't line up just right and you can't close the #$#%'n door, which you now have to also bend to fit under the top, where did I PUT THAT JACK.

How is your day going?

OP
OP
sillyjt

sillyjt

Loc.
mason city
Thanks guys for all the info. Started getting into it yesterday. I posted lots of pictures on my other thread. "Just saved a 73". Still learning how to do things on the forum as well as the project. Got doors. Hood. Tailgate off. Cleaned all the Trash, leaves, dirt and carpet out. Seats out. Dash pad off. Windshield folded down. Got good start and a good look at what i have to work with

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356714873345.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356714873345.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 34
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356714911664.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356714911664.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
sillyjt

sillyjt