• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice on roll bars

Tugross302

I need advice on a roll bar that is safe but that I can still run a bikini top. Has anyone seen a cage that has an A pillar and a B pillar but then slopes to the rear floor? I never have anyone riding in the backseat. I’d like opinions on this please. I’ve never had anything but a B pillar roll bar but after seeing some of the wreck pics on here I think it’s time to step up a little. What do you think?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Check out BC for Some thing unique.

But Baileybilt is great too.

Protofab has been making eb bumpers and roll cages for a long time.

I got an Overhaulin 4 point from JBG.

OP
OP
Tugross302

Tugross302

Thanks for the advice. My bronco is at nickstrix right now and he will custom make whatever I want but I want to know what everyone on here thinks. There’s a lot of you who know way more than me about roll bars and Broncos. I don’t care a lot for the family rollbar look and a bikini top would look even worse. Thought?

suckerpunched

there are lots of vendors with lots of different variation of rollbars. as far as family style, long cage, and top vs the shorter A & B pillar cage goes. It is a matter of taste and need. I went with the family style cage from Bronco Bob and modified it a little. I would look around and give Nick some ideas of what you like, I'm sure he will be able to make it happen.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If my plan was to run a bikini top very often I would want the sloped rear bars.

With a hard top or full soft top I like the bars out of view better.
I will probably remove my rear seat, so rear passengers are no concern for me as well.

STalon89

It sounds like you more or less know what you want. Just find a style you like and have him fab something similar.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Look at the Wild Horses San Felipe Bar with the front cage kit. I think it's close to what your describing that you want. Nick could build something close maybe with some nicer rear legs. I run that with a bikini top. The WH Windjammer fits it as well which will give you a little more protection from wind and rain when needed.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
Tug. Take a look at the cage in the el jefe build on my site
It is what you are looking for

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This shot shows the rear "half" of the roll bar that Mike Kirkus sells for EB half cabs.

A rare shot...the elusive sasquatch photo bombing it in the background...

Attachments

• 76 EB working it.jpg
    76 EB working it.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
Tugross302

Tugross302

Thanks guys. Yes that San Felipe would be what I’m thinking of but what nick built on the el Jeffe build is what I will go with. Here’s a pic:

Attachments

• 4F6B1AE8-2BAA-4D52-A1A4-DF3CE0335F30.jpg
    4F6B1AE8-2BAA-4D52-A1A4-DF3CE0335F30.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 121

fablife

I think adding a small horiz section at the main hoop, before going down to the rear foot plate helps a lot.. my opinion..JD
HMcage1.jpg
HM12.jpg

68ford

Bronco Guru
Go behind the dash and make the dash attach to the role bar. No glove box or window crank issues. Can keep it nice and tight to the a pillar and it will look A LOT better in the end.

OP
OP
Tugross302

Tugross302

Thanks for the input. I’ll research that. I’ve never really looked at going through the dash

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Way cleaner look and fully in line with a Nix build.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Some people, maybe most, cut elongated holes and the tubes go through the dash. I prefer the tubes run behind it completely and the dash be removable because its is out side so to speak from the roll cage. Plus having the dash closer gives more access to behind it and easier to reach switches. Plus you can run a dash bar across about level with the top of the dash and not see it.

OP
OP
Tugross302

Tugross302

I’ll talk to nick about this. I should’ve started this thread a couple weeks ago since my tub is all painted and getting liner sprayed now. I don’t know if that changes things as far as going through the dash

68ford

Bronco Guru
Nope, disconnect electrical, speedo cables and heater controls and pull the dash up the steering column if it is still installed. If steering column is out, you can completely remove the dash from the vehicle. Build roll cage and put brackets on it for the dash. Paint it. Put dash onto the cage and then put the cage into the vehicle.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Nick builds top notch stuff. I know him personally and have been to his shop. Frankly I'd trust Nick and his crew. His vision for your build will often dictate the cage. He will make whatever you want as well. Without question, the man can fabricate and weld. If he suggest an aftermarket cage, trust him. His network of people goes coast to coast...