• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 on the Tree Parts from Other Vehicles

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I realize the linkage in particular is becoming harder to find, I just want to make sure I'm doing as broad a search as possible. My favorite yard has plenty of Econolines and F100's, but do they have the same shifter linkage between the column and trans?

Thanks -Jeff

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks Ron, like waaay too long? Reason I ask is because of the 1" body lift, so the stock ones are not quite long enough

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looking at the profile, this is for an I6 engine? That makes life even harder.
Best to cut and weld in a little bit of extension.

I don't know of any other Ford that has the same steering column and transmission locations that would be a match. Other vehicles typically have the steering column enter the engine compartment much lower on the firewall. This would make other shift rods shorter, not longer like you need.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Its for the 72 V8, i did the 1" BL and while trying to adjust the trans end of the rod I broke the threaded end off of it...i suppose i could weld a bolt to the end as a last resort

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I sourced this linkage (top in pic) from a 71-72 F-250 AUTOMATIC and after making a couple bends it works great. Only problem now is the rod for 2nd-3rd gear is too short...like the END of the rod does not even reach the center of the hole on the trans arm.

The piece that goes into the trans arm WILL NOT BUDGE...just like on the other arm which is why I broke it. But even if I were to get it to move the rod itself would not be long enough.

The F-250 linkage has a similar piece but instead of being threaded on the rod it moved freely with a nut on either side to hold it in place. Gotta think of something...

Attachments

• 735EA48A-C5D3-444F-8A6B-EDE6FE0E5BB6.jpg
    735EA48A-C5D3-444F-8A6B-EDE6FE0E5BB6.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Heated it, soaked it, heated it, soaked it, heated it, soaked it, heated it, broke it :mad:

I did the same adjustments after a 1" BL on my 66 with no problem whatsoever