• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Straight 6 or 351 cleavland

monkeylovetrees

Loc.
warwick ri
Before I start my 1970 half cab restore / monster truck build thinking engine first I could but back the three on the tree with straight six but why I have a friend who would sell me cheap a 351 cleavland with c6 both need to be rebuilt but what are the pros and cons of this other than welding new brackets for motor mounts .

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Neither engine sound like good choices. If you go with a v8, get a more standard one, like a 289, 302, or 351W. The parts are much cheaper and easier to find. The 351C is used more for street racing. But the accessories won't bolt up easily.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Cheap Cleavland. Oxymoron. If it is in good shape it is worth some money, if it is cheap it will cost a forture to get in good shape and after all that it will still be a pain to install and still won't live up to an easy to install 351W with a few good parts added.

The 6 is uunderpowered for any speed fun. Too much work to hop them up to what a basic old 302 can do.

So I will go with; neither. Keep looking, there are better choices all over the place.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Buy the cheap C and sell it to fund a swap to either the roller 302 or a 351W or build a stroker. Not real sure on what your wanting here restore/monster truck??

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would bet the c6 is not a 4wd version. I am a C fan, it works just fine in a bronco. The 400 works even better. "Less exhaust manifold problems"

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;D 351W would be the best choice. Thats is my 2 cents worth good luck with your choice.:cool::cool::cool: Bill :p%):D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
33's, you don't even need a lift to run those. A little trimming and a set of flares. That is a lot closer to stock them many of us. But I do like the way a set of 33's fills in the wheel wells. Better then sitting on a scaffold.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
If you have a complete motor - all the "tin'{valve covers,oil pan ,timing chain cover } and the intake with the 351C it's a direct bolt into a Bronco. Same motor mounts,same flywheel,same starter same bell housing as the Windsors -how ever the water pump inlet is on the driver side and the passenger side exhaust manifold is tight to the frame.
A local generic engine builder quoted me a price $400 higher to rebuild the 351C vs the 351W
A local specialty builder quoted me substantially higher - but quality work - 400 hp with stock 2v heads and stock intake . If i wanted 600hp - that would entail other non stock {exspensive} parts .:)
Cleveland may not be for the average guy . It has few common parts with the Windsors and less support ; although the Aussies are the go to guys as they like em.:)
SHX

OP
OP
monkeylovetrees

monkeylovetrees

Loc.
warwick ri
33 to start then I'll go up from there got a great deal on them and ok I'll call it a micro monster not a mini I know you guys are running 40,s