• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 Frame Off "Clear Coat and an Engine"

callmemarsh

EDIT: I'm updating all of my posts so you can click on the images to see them in full res. Enjoy!

Hey Y'all, first time posting here. The name's Marshall and friends call me Marsh. First off, I have to say the info I've found on here in the past couple months has been invaluable. I finally signed up and wanted to start my own build thread.

BACKGROUND:
A bit over a year ago a buddy of mine, Stephen, bought a 73 on eBay, site unseen from a guy in Ohio. He asked if I would help him restore it so I jumped at the opportunity. According to the seller, all it needed was "a clear coat and an engine". It was priced right so he bought it. Of course, it gets delivered and we quickly realized that wasn't the case %). Oh well, no big deal. I had planned on cutting it apart and doing a bunch of rust repair any ways. However, the more and more I cut out, the more rust I found. Still, no big deal, I've restored a couple cars before and know how quickly they can snowball. Before I knew it, I was down to the frame and have about 2 square feet of the firewall, the tailgate and core support left. So now I am in the process of putting together the puzzle that is the Dynacorn body. Mind you, this is all being done in a one car garage! haha.

GOALS:
Stephen wants it to be a reliable, lifted, highway cruiser with the OCCASIONAL ability to take it off road or on the beach. However, I'll always argue the necessity of certain upgrades "while we're at it" (I use that term a lot ;D)

PLANS:
-Complete build of Dynacorn body from scratch (all parts already delivered and currently taking up the garage and 2 storage units)
-2.5-3.5" Suspension Lift
-2014 F150 5.0 "Coyote", 6R80 with PBH Harness and PCM
-2" body lift (or whatever the least I can get away with to clear the drivetrain)
-Various BC Broncos and Tumblin Auto parts for the swap
-Rebuilt Dana 20 J-shift with twin stick shifters
-Fully rebuilt Dana 44 and 9" with stock limited slip differentials and 4.11 gears (still deciding on gear ratio)
-4 wheel disc brakes with all stainless lines
And much much more

That was just a brief overview. I'll get into details, part numbers and lists later. I'm just getting this thread started off. I have about a year's worth of pictures, info and questions. Feel free to chime in with your suggestions, questions and opinions!

BEFORE:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure my buddy Stephen will chime in here soon. He's in the Navy and out on the ship right now. That doesn't seem to stop him from requesting photos from me via email hahah. Stephen?

STRIPPING THE INTERIOR

Last edited:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
nice!!! another one being shown some love!! good luck and please keep us posted as we ALL need motivation from time to time!

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

As long as ya'll keep me motivated, i'll keep motivating ya'll! To be honest, this has been my first venture into Broncos, but I'm completely bought in!

ENGINE AND FRONT END REMOVAL

Last edited:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
GOOD START!! don't be intimidated....it can be a long haul

Attachments

• bones.jpg
    bones.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

WOW! Tasker, that's a hell of a transformation!

Needless to say, I've been intimidated and overcome MULTIPLE times already! I tend to bite off more than I can chew, but I love eating! hahah

Stay tuned, I have a ton of pics I'm currently uploading.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Keep after it, where are you located by the way? nothing better than having local brothers come and help out with either labor or motivation!

Nemisus

Loc.
North Bay, CA
I gotta say dude! You have a dedicated friendship to build a bronco for someone like that that isn't even around. Props to you sir! And a big THANKS to your friend for his service in the Navy!

Well done Marsh. Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Nemi

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I gotta say dude! You have a dedicated friendship to build a bronco for someone like that that isn't even around. Props to you sir! And a big THANKS to your friend for his service in the Navy!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Nemi

My thoughts exactly. I need to do something like that to my body but it's a commitment in several different ways...

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Nemi

haha, I would be lying if I said I wasn't getting anything out of it. We have a few different agreements. Originally, I stayed rent free for a few months, had boat rides with free fuel on tap, unlimited supply of beer and the ability to raid his whiskey collection with only a slap on the wrist ;D. Plus, I'm pretty sure many of you guys wouldn't pass up an opportunity to buy more tools. Not to mention I'm hoping to use this as a "proof of concept" to open my own shop eventually.

FRAME CLEANING AND PAINT

Last edited:

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Now is a good time to find the stamped VIN on the frame. May be important down the road if your local DMV wants to see it. Good luck on the rebuild. I’m about two years away from doing the same on mine.

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

Now is a good time to find the stamped VIN on the frame. May be important down the road if your local DMV wants to see it. Good luck on the rebuild. I’m about two years away from doing the same on mine.

You're right! I've been searching, but I can't seem to find it in the places I've been told to look :cry:

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
FLOOR PAN AND FIREWALL REMOVAL

38083918102_6481bba9a0_z.jpg

38115123231_1620f81ac9_z.jpg

38083918242_ee829130a0_z.jpg

38115123891_4ae1157aba_z.jpg

38083918562_fa0c2e5e4a_z.jpg

38115124311_04467f5e38_z.jpg

Nice Props to you sir! Looks like you are off to a good start. I am in TX if I was close to you I would come by and help. You will find all the info you need here. Keep it up and if you need motivation you can find a lot on here.
Anyways nice start and keep it up!

OP
OP
C

callmemarsh

Thanks for the replies and motivation. I still have a ton more photos to get you guys all up to speed!

SQUARING UP THE COWL

Last edited: