• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke my carb----where can I get another one?

valveamp

Hello. I wanted to let people know what happened to my carb. It was a little surprising but, looking back, may not have been unexpected. First off, it's an Autolite 4100 which I purchased rebuilt about 2 years ago. It's been running fine until today. I started off driving it about 5 miles and noticed that the idle was a little high, around 1200 rpm. Had lunch and then drove it back home. This time, the idle was higher, around 1700 rpm. Before I came back, I opened the hood and verified that the return springs were pulling the carb fully closed. Sometimes, they stick a little and tend to idle high, but that was not the case here. When I arrived back home, I let it sit for an hour or so, then moved it out of the driveway into it's parking spot. The engine would barely run. Had to keep giving it gas to keep it from stalling. Once again, I opened the hood. I was looking for a loose vacuum hose or maybe a rotted rubber plug. I didn't see anything, but then I noticed that on the driver side rear mounting foot, there was a crack completely across the mounting foot, about an inch from the mounting hole. It looks like the crack had started then became increasingly longer over time until it broke in two. I don't think this is because I over tightened the mount. I think it's because I'm running an original type air cleaner with the air horn hanging off the passenger side. I did not have a mounting bracket that supported the horn. I think this side load on the carb caused it to crack on the opposite side, over time. I ordered a stainless steel bracket a while back, but failed to install it. Frankly, I thought it was probably not that necessary. Now, I think that I was wrong.
The question, now, is where can I get a replacement Autolite 4100 carb? What recommendations do you have? This one came from a place local to me, but I'm not sure they will have another one. This carb has the 1.08 primary venturi, which I understand is the best to have for the 302, but is harder to find.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

Joe473

Hello. I wanted to let people know what happened to my carb. It was a little surprising but, looking back, may not have been unexpected. First off, it's an Autolite 4100 which I purchased rebuilt about 2 years ago. It's been running fine until today. I started off driving it about 5 miles and noticed that the idle was a little high, around 1200 rpm. Had lunch and then drove it back home. This time, the idle was higher, around 1700 rpm. Before I came back, I opened the hood and verified that the return springs were pulling the carb fully closed. Sometimes, they stick a little and tend to idle high, but that was not the case here. When I arrived back home, I let it sit for an hour or so, then moved it out of the driveway into it's parking spot. The engine would barely run. Had to keep giving it gas to keep it from stalling. Once again, I opened the hood. I was looking for a loose vacuum hose or maybe a rotted rubber plug. I didn't see anything, but then I noticed that on the driver side rear mounting foot, there was a crack completely across the mounting foot, about an inch from the mounting hole. It looks like the crack had started then became increasingly longer over time until it broke in two. I don't think this is because I over tightened the mount. I think it's because I'm running an original type air cleaner with the air horn hanging off the passenger side. I did not have a mounting bracket that supported the horn. I think this side load on the carb caused it to crack on the opposite side, over time. I ordered a stainless steel bracket a while back, but failed to install it. Frankly, I thought it was probably not that necessary. Now, I think that I was wrong.
The question, now, is where can I get a replacement Autolite 4100 carb? What recommendations do you have? This one came from a place local to me, but I'm not sure they will have another one. This carb has the 1.08 primary venturi, which I understand is the best to have for the 302, but is harder to find.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.
I run an autolite 1.12. Ebay has some rough ones. There is an empty base up there now. Also if you like the 4100 the summit carb is very similar if you dont want to mess with rebuilding another junk one

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll check out the base on eBay and the Summit carb. Really happy with the 4100, so that's the top of my list.

MonsterBIlly

I have pretty new edelbrock 650 i could give you a sweet deal on. I used it to break in my 302 then converted to efi. So it really has no road moles on it at all. I also think i have the kick down lever around somewhere too.
I think 200 would be a fair price

OP
OP
V

valveamp

MonsterBIlly, Thanks for the offer, but I found one locally, today. It's another Autolite 4100 with the 1.08 venturi. I'm going to mount the air cleaner housing support bracket this time. The place where I bought the replacement said they could probably repair the broken on. I may take it up and see what they can do. It would be nice having a spare. I wonder if I should transfer the jets from the old ones over to the new one, IF they are different. Sort of remember they were changed out a long time ago. I'll have to check. Thanks again.