• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Automatic slippage

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
As the title states, my 76 C4 automatic is slipping. The tranny Has 91000 original miles on it and untouched other than a filter and oil change at 75000 miles.

The tranny slips and shutters as you accelerate from a stop. And it slips in third as you power down the road, losing speed as the rpms increase. It has become so bad that It’s no longer drivable.

The fluid is full, clean, pink and no burnt smell. I’m guessing the problem is due to just age. I’m not much of a transmission expert, so I’m looking for advice on what to look for or what I might try other than a complete rebuild. I have an Explorer 5.0 and 4R70w waiting rebuild to go into my 76 so spending the money to rebuild the C4 is not an option. I’m just hoping to get a few more miles out of the original motor and tranny until the Explorer stuff is ready.