• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harbor Blue Build Thread

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Very nice bronkenn! The electric chain hoist would be a very handy addition. The tall ceilings are nice too. I don't think I have enough room to lift the tub high enough to set on the frame.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And to think when I took the body off mine, I had to fab up two pole frames in the field out of pine logs to do mine.

Nice tools for sure.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The crane allowed me to mount the tub to the rotisserie by myself. I had a few stressful moments, but in the end it all worked out.

I could just see the tub falling from 4 feet in the air and crashing on the concrete floor! %)%)

Nice Jeff... :)

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
It has been awhile since I have updated this thread, but I have been doing some work on the bronco. I had the steering column a few engine brackets powder coated in black.

I'm really happy with the way the steering column came out! ;D;D

Attachments

• column 1.jpg
    column 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 43
  • column 2.jpg
    column 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 54
  • column 3.jpg
    column 3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The rotisserie has been a life saver with cleaning the underside of the tub. This tub is in great shape so the biggest effort after replacing the floor pans is removing the undercoat material.

Yes I should probably have it blasted, but trying to keep costs down. I still may go in that direction, but haven't committed yet.

Attachments

• rotisserie 4.jpg
    rotisserie 4.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 52
  • rotisserie 3.jpg
    rotisserie 3.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 52
  • rotisserie 2.jpg
    rotisserie 2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 50
  • rotisserie 1.jpg
    rotisserie 1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The outer and inner rockers were in great shape with the exception of the area where the inner rocker meets the kick panel. I decided to patch this area instead of replacing the entire section.

Plus, passenger kick panel was creased in one area and the limiting strap had pulled the welded nuts through and the PO attempted to repair with nut serts.

I went ahead and ordered a new kick panel and this allowed me to fix the dent in the out rocker panel since I had to remove this to access the kick panel.

Attachments

• inner rocker rust.jpg
    inner rocker rust.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 64
  • outer rocker 1.jpg
    outer rocker 1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 65
  • outer rocker.jpg
    outer rocker.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Pics of the new kick panel and inner rocker cleaned up. I need to get more picks of the outer rocker installed and the doors hung.

I wanted to make sure I got the hinge post back in the right position so I put the tub back on the frame to ensure everything lined up.

I will tell you it was frustrating to trying to align the doors!! :mad::mad:

Attachments

• Body 1.jpg
    Body 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 81
  • body 2.jpg
    body 2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The inner fenders were shot so I had ordered replacements awhile back for those. The passenger wheel well was in need of some pitting repair and I was all set to patch this up when I found a local selling a new passenger wheel well for a great deal.

I haven't tacked on the front clip as the rotisserie I have will not accommodate that part. This past weekend I picked up some tintable spray liner and other supplies at the local paint store so I plan on spraying the liner under the tub before setting back on the frame and attaching the front clip.

I hope to get the liner on soon to update this build!!

Attachments

• inner fender 3.jpg
    inner fender 3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 67
  • inner fender 2.jpg
    inner fender 2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 69
  • inner fender 1.jpg
    inner fender 1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I have been very lazy updating this build thread, but I have been able to make some progress. I had to take a break during the hottest parts of the summer.

I was able to purchase the parts to rebuild the D44 thru Ventures Truck Parts and I have to give good remarks on their service. Attaching pics of the u-joints, seals and bearings.

Attachments

• U-Joints.jpg
    U-Joints.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Axle Parts.jpg
    Axle Parts.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Bearing.jpg
    Bearing.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I would strongly advise everyone to remove your axles and diff cover and inspect the axle tubes. The first pic is just some of the junk that came out of the axle tubes!

Removing the old inner axle seals and carrier allows you to push the crap from the outside in. Third pic is of the new inner seal installed.

Attachments

• New seal.jpg
    New seal.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Tube Clean.jpg
    Tube Clean.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Dirty D44.jpg
    Dirty D44.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The rust repair work on the tube is complete. I had Bob from Bob Haynes Custom Coach Works stop by place to look over the project to determine if it was something they would take on.

He agreed and I should be able to drop the tub and other parts off in about 2 months!! Very excited to get to this point and turn the body work and paint over to the professionals. I will try and keep this thread updated with that progress.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I would strongly advise everyone to remove your axles and diff cover and inspect the axle tubes. The first pic is just some of the junk that came out of the axle tubes!

Removing the old inner axle seals and carrier allows you to push the crap from the outside in. Third pic is of the new inner seal installed.

Yikes.. Always something ain't it..

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Not a lot of huge progress but I did want to keep this thread active. I was supposed to drop the tub off at the paint shop on Dec 3, but they bumped me back to mid January. Oh well.

I did get a chance to polish the slot wheels and get some tires mounted. I went with 32x11.50x15 Maxxis Buckshot Mudder II. I like the tread design and think they will be perfect for this build. No lift, fenders cut with flares.

Attachments

• wheel 1.jpg
    wheel 1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 68
  • wheel 2.jpg
    wheel 2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The tub will go to the paint shop on the rotisserie so I put doors and windshield frame on and aligned the doors as best I could.

Attachments

• Tub.jpg
    Tub.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
A big milestone in the build. The tub was picked up and delivered to the paint shop. Boy was I nervous following the roll-back truck! He was going way faster than I would have liked and the rotisserie was moving back and forth a little on the bed.

But, it made it there in one piece and they have had it for about 3 weeks. I hope to get updated pics soon of the progress.

Attachments

• EB 1.jpg
    EB 1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 55
  • EB 2.jpg
    EB 2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 67
  • EB 3.jpg
    EB 3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Paint guy will complete the body work and get the tub in primer and paint the underside. It can then take the rolling chassis, front clip etc and connect the tub for assembly and body work on the other parts.

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Keeping this thread active since it is taking longer than expected to complete the tub work. It has allowed me to focus on some garage clean up items and work on my '69. I installed an AOD about 10 years ago and just now got around to hooking up the neutral safety switch with reverse lights.