• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1968 u14

Sunnyboy

Loc.
Alice, Texas
Bought this 1968 U14 a couple of weeks ago from a young man in South Texas, really solid probably due to it being undercoated when new. All the rust that appeared in the ad was actually surface rust, only some small holes in the drivers floor due to some carpeting, very solid including the cab. It is badged as a 289 but upon engine inspection it has 302 on the lifter galley, 289 cast on heads, engine compartment appears original, engine casting is C82E-6015-B with 7M80 stamped near water pump near dist., is this the original engine. Trying to upload pics but having a hard time, already a contributor, will keep trying. Originally Rangoon Red but painted turquoise and white.

Last edited:

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
Good possibility. 1968 was the transition year, early '68's had 289's, late '68's had 302's. Whether it's a '68 302 or 289 you've got a good high compression engine.

OP
OP
S

Sunnyboy

Loc.
Alice, Texas
Thanks, do you know if those stamped numbers (7M80) means I thought I had read that you could tell the date of engine assembly by it but don't remember where.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes you can. For some reason that one is not computing in my brain this time.
Letters could indicate the week it was built, but I'm just not getting this 4-digit code on yours. Don't know what the 0 would indicate.
Lots of members here know those codes in their sleep though, so back to the top of the list for someone to see.

Interested to hear what it means. But with an 8 in the mix, I'm guessing it's a legit '68 engine. There were definitely some running changes. Including the different 289 and 302 markings on the heads and blocks of the same assembly. The cars got the 302 before the utility vehicles did. I thought it was '69 being the first year for the Broncos, with very early '69's still having the 289.
But maybe it was '68 like was said. I've always thought it was '69 for EB's though.

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sunnyboy

Loc.
Alice, Texas
As soon as I can straighten the picture uploading problem I'll post some pics, it has to be something I'm doing wrong because I've been able to do it before.

01JLH

Take the VIN and go to bronco Ohio website to determine what year the vin says the U14 is. Door jam sticker, if it is still there after the repaint will show a manufactured date of late 68 if it was actually a 69 model. Sometimes there have been mistakes made in both the registration and title issuing when people look at the sticker when getting those things done.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
As soon as I can straighten the picture uploading problem I'll post some pics, it has to be something I'm doing wrong because I've been able to do it before.

Straighten them on your computer, save them, then upload them. That is what works for me. If you are using a cell phone they still come out side ways and upside down a lot of the time. Not sure how to fix that one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In theory then it should be a '69 model year. But Ford and the other manufacturers would often run model year production as late into the year as possible to keep from having to meet certain requirements or to use up existing parts if there was a changeover or for whatever other reasons they needed.
Was pretty easy with a vehicle that wasn't going through any major physical changes, such as an Early Bronco.

Lots of detail changes that year, but still maintaining the same physical makeup.
Electric wipers from vacuum. 302 from 289. Larger front turn signals. Etc.
And they were getting caught up in the middle of different smog changes too. Wasn't until mid-70 that vents and evap was added to the fuel system, but maybe they were required to do some changes to '69's too, so ran them a little late.

I don't remember hearing that '68's ran late, but it wouldn't be the first time.
I wonder how many others have late-build '68/'69 Broncos here? Or it's just like 01JLH said and is an all-too-common mistake in the registration process.

Your motor being built in Dec of '68 would make sense if they were a few weeks apart, but if it was built in Dec of '67, that would be strange for it to be found in a build a year later I would think.
Unless engine blocks could sit around for awhile waiting for some reason to be put back into the mix? Hard to say what went on behind those big rollup doors!

Paul

Last edited:

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
7 = 1967 (we know it's '67 and not '77 due to the C8 casting number, which is a 1968 casting number)

M = December (A is Jan, B is Feb, C is March, etc. They skip the letter "I" because it could be mistaken for a "1")
ABCDEFGHJKLM......M is the 12th letter, for December

8 = day of the month in Dec (not sure why you are seeing a 80?)

Anyway a late '67 engine would be correct for a 1968 Mustang and I'd imagine same for a Bronco. And '68 Mustangs had both 289's as well as 302's...and sometimes a mixture of 289, 302 pieces as Ford was trying to use up what was in stock.

Norm

OP
OP
S

Sunnyboy

Loc.
Alice, Texas
ared77, it does have the heads with 289 cast on them as well as the intake manifold, and in DirtDonk post it mentions the wipers which are vacuum and the engine has the bracket for a smog pump although pump was missing but the heads have the little valves for the hoses and also according to Ohio website the vin number ( U14NLC45354 ) it's seems to have a Dec 68 built date which it seems also corresponds to the block casting numbers and stamped numbers. Thank you guys, it appears it should be the original engine.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Congrats on the rig. Should be able to upload those pics as a contributor.

Save em to your desktop then load from there