• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff Trail Doors?

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Nice video and the hinges look awesome! Honestly didn't know they even existed till now! Might have to consider replacing my Drakes because these look even better and beefier! ;D

Can you just get the hinge to weld onto your own trail doors? That would be awesome and I assume that these are rebuildable?

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Nice video and the hinges look awesome! Honestly didn't know they even existed till now! Might have to consider replacing my Drakes because these look even better and beefier! ;D

Can you just get the hinge to weld onto your own trail doors? That would be awesome and I assume that these are rebuildable?

They're certainly beefier..maybe even dufftuff?? ;D;D LOL

Id say everything is rebuildable however in 11 years of being road hard and put away wet, we have yet to see a set fail or break down :)

I checked to see if the hinges are sold separately and I was told they are not. Sorry!!

Great video. I just took off my soft doors and inserts. Got my snoop doors that I made in now. Come next summer I am going to try to get some of your trail door with removable hinges so I can go from trail doors to snoop doors and vice versa. Love you products!!!'

Awesome and Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockslut

Loc.
Cool, Ca
I use the Duff hinges for the full doors and built my own aluminum tube doors that fix to the hinges. So winter comes i lift out the tube doors and drop in the full doors. The tube doors i built are not as nice fit & finish as the duff stuff but when people ask were i got them and i say i built them. Makes me feel all tingly in side.. hehe I just felt at some point id rather buy tools to build stuff and learn a new craft than buy stuff of the shelf.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
The people at Duff and the doors are perfect! Work great and I made my skins removable for those hot days on the trail to just get more air movement through the cab.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice idea w/the drink holder.. :)

I use the Duff hinges for the full doors and built my own aluminum tube doors that fix to the hinges. So winter comes i lift out the tube doors and drop in the full doors. The tube doors i built are not as nice fit & finish as the duff stuff but when people ask were i got them and i say i built them. Makes me feel all tingly in side.. hehe I just felt at some point id rather buy tools to build stuff and learn a new craft than buy stuff of the shelf.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru

Hey man, not as nice as the Duff Doors but nothing to be ashamed of at all. Great Job!

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great thread, totally worth bringing back to the top ;D

We just built a big batch of trail doors that are going to be ready for sale next week.

Im constantly tinkering with a product like this. We have fine tuned the latching mechanism to work with the 66-67 striker position as well as the 68-77 striker. I think this latest version is the best so far and we will stick with it for awhile. (I hope) Just little changes that most may not even notice but I want them to be purrrrrfect ;D

Im also looking at doing a latch upgrade. it will make the door cost more but it will be offered as a retro fit kit as well. I wont be starting on that for a month or two but its all part of us constantly evolving. note* you will still be able to buy the door with the simple latch for the lower price even after we offer a new more spendy latch.

Another project I started almost a year ago was offering our little buddy the B2 a trail door. That one is still on the back burner but don't give up on me!

Just a reminder, we also offer really nice metal skins to cover the doors as well as mirrors. The skins use to be too thin. I recently changed them from 24 gauge to 20 gauge. They are perfect now IMO.

Recently i saw a customer use the mini quick latch to keep the skins on. super slick setup. links for both below.

door covers:
http://www.dufftuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=7006&x=0&y=0

mini quick latches:
http://www.dufftuff.com/Quik_Latch_Billet_Mini_Pin_Fasteners_p/7335.htm

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks like my procrastination in buying these paid off! I'll be getting a set of doors with polished hinges and skins at the Super Celebration. I'm curious to see the revised latch, because I had some ideas in mind to modify a latch myself.

balex

Loc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC
I am hoping Monster Mike or anyone else for that matter can help me out.

I recently ordered the Duff Trail Doors along with the stainless hinges. Installed the hinges no problem. Got the drivers side door on, no problem. Passenger side on the other hand, I have hit a road block. The door will not close. Attached are two images. The tab on the door is running into the striker plate. I removed the hinges and sanded and smoothed as best I could, but there is a significant way to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help address this issue? It would be the opposite of needed a shim. As far as I know, the vehicle has not been wrecked, but it is def off on the passenger side.

Thanks in advance.

f9TlPD1.jpg

TyrK6ta.jpg

balex

Loc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC
I havent bolted anything on yet. That is the part that is welded to the trail door. I can try and take another photo or two when I get home in a little bit.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I am hoping Monster Mike or anyone else for that matter can help me out.

I recently ordered the Duff Trail Doors along with the stainless hinges. Installed the hinges no problem. Got the drivers side door on, no problem. Passenger side on the other hand, I have hit a road block. The door will not close. Attached are two images. The tab on the door is running into the striker plate. I removed the hinges and sanded and smoothed as best I could, but there is a significant way to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help address this issue? It would be the opposite of needed a shim. As far as I know, the vehicle has not been wrecked, but it is def off on the passenger side.

Thanks in advance.

You caught me at a good time so lets start with a couple measurements. We need to see if your door gap from the driver side is the same as your passenger side. Simply grab your tape measure run it horizontal from the front inside of your door opening (a pillar) to the rear inside of your door opening (b pillar) Run your tape twice, once above the top hinge and once below the bottom hinge. compare your DS to your PS and also this will tell you if the door openings are square.

The good thing is if your door openings are not the same you have a few options. You can choose to massage the A pillar back using a block of wood and a large hammer or you can trim some material off the trail door latch until it clears. If you choose to work the A-pillar and dont have experience doing body work let us know before you get started to give you a few more tips and tricks so you dont make things worse for yourself.

Just so you know you're not alone, these Bronco bodies are rarely square and they all come with their own set of quirks.

MM

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Pro Tip; Get out the cut off wheel. Should automatically be out when fitting things to a Bronco. Oh, and never ever use a square. Ken

balex

Loc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC
DS above door hinge: 37 1/4"
DS below door hinge: 38"

PS above door hinge: 37"
PS below door hinge: 38 1/2"

So, it is off, but not a ton. Enough to not be able to close the door properly.

With that being said, I am open to the idea of a piece of wood and a hammer. I have a rubber mallet if that would be better. I can honestly say I have never ventured into the world of bodywork, but I am not afraid. There is considerable rust throughout, so I am not overly concerned with perfection at this point. I am not winning any trophies any time soon.

I have been grinding on the trail door some, and smoothed out it a bit, but still have a ways to go. So maybe a little of both options are in order.

Thanks everyone for the help. This is by far the most welcoming community of people out there. So thanks.

balex

Loc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC
Ok a follow up to this post... I was able to grind and cut the pieces off and now the door closes and the latch works as expected.

My next part in this project, is affixing the covers/skins to the door. I am thinking about doing it permanently. I thought possibly rivnuts through the skin and to the door. Is there another solution that might be easier and work better. If I do go the rivnut route, what size would be recommended? I used 5/16 for the check strap mount. Was not sure if a smaller size would fit/work for the skin and door frame thickness.

I am open to suggestions. I have not found too many posts/videos in regards to how others are doing this.

Again, thanks in advance.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Ok a follow up to this post... I was able to grind and cut the pieces off and now the door closes and the latch works as expected.

My next part in this project, is affixing the covers/skins to the door. I am thinking about doing it permanently. I thought possibly rivnuts through the skin and to the door. Is there another solution that might be easier and work better. If I do go the rivnut route, what size would be recommended? I used 5/16 for the check strap mount. Was not sure if a smaller size would fit/work for the skin and door frame thickness.

I am open to suggestions. I have not found too many posts/videos in regards to how others are doing this.

Again, thanks in advance.

rivnuts will work, dzus(self ejecting) fasteners, mini quik latches and elevator bolts have all been used to mount those skins.

The nice thing about the door skins is they are a blank canvas for you to mount them in a way that suits you best.

If you go with rivnuts I would weld on a few tabs on the door then mount the rivnuts to those.

MM

balex

Loc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC
Thank you so much for that. I am now going to spend some time figuring out what each of the methods above entail. I am trying to follow the path of least resistance, and welding is certainly not something in my wheelhouse, yet.

Thanks again for the ideas!

balex

Loc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC
Further question in regards to this. Sorry to keep beating a dead horse here, and I know people are busy heading to TN for the weekend.

Any chance there are photos floating around showing how the mini quik latches were used to mount the body panels or trail doors? I have spent some time looking through the images of the Monster Garage Bronco and found the episode on YT. Just need to find time to watch it. Thought I would ask. Just trying to wrap my head around how they are used to mount the panels/skins.

I understand the principle, just trying to figure out placement and attachment places.

Again, thanks.

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
One of your options for attaching the door skins is using the quick latches, I welded some small tabs on the door to mount the peg for the quick latch, I then installed the latch in the skins so they could be easily removed, I put two quick latches at the bottom front and rear corners when I get a chance this afternoon I’ll post a video of how I did it and how they work