• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulled trigger on a stroker... finally

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
After much back and forth with going 351 EFI route... I've reverted and now committed in to a 347 stroker build...

• All forged assembly, including Mahle flat-top pistons
• Custom grind from Cam Research, hydraulic flat tappet
• Gt40 intake, port matched only
• Maybe Dart 180 Iron Eagle heads (maybe GT40x) - depends on where compression numbers start to go.
• Good ol’ ’93 Mustang A9L tuned with Tweecer/Binary Editor, 30-42# injectors (whatever I find a good deal on), 70mm tb, 75mm tb calibrated to injector size
• Shorty's in to 2.5" dual with X pipe, not sure what mufflers yet - I have Super 44's I can use be they pretty loud.

Now that deposit is down and parts ordered, that 351w EFI setup sure seems cheaper...

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Congrats!!! I went 331with slightly massaged GT40 iron heads and love it so far. Super quick to the revs and gobs of power pver the stock 302. Forced me to go power disc conversion all around. Keep us posted and take a vid or two when she's breathing!

OP
OP
Landho

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
No build pics yet - just pulling everything now, drop block off Friday.

Since the earlier post - Rotating assembly parts ordered, cam shaft & lifters ordered, dart top end ordered, roller rockers arrived, added line boring to the machine shop work order, oil pump ordered...

Switched from Mahle to JE pistons, switched from "kit" rotating assembly to parts chosen by the builder.

Except some wasteful spend on bling, wrong parts for the 351w I originally planned, and some extra spend on balancing and line boring - I am still below Blueprint crate 347 EFI price - plus get to reuse all of my existing EFI, oil pan, explorer timing cover, etc..

OP
OP
Landho

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Excellent choice. I'm running a 347 originally out of a 91 Mustang with the Mahle pistons as well. I dyno'd at just under 425 hp to the ground. It's a lil' monster. Looking forward to your pics!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Consider looking at KB Hypertetic pistons specifically for that build. Flat top might not be the best option for quench and compression ration although it seems you are doing all the math. Best of luck!

https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?main_page=product_piston_info&cPath=3_4_23&products_id=2856

Also, these pistons require Sportsman head, but I used Edelbrock performer which are similar but way cheaper.

If you do KB, make sure you understand piston ring clearance setup, no big deal, but it is critical.

OP
OP
Landho

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
Switched JE flat top pistons (which weren't cheap), the heads are 62cc. My block has a tiny bit taller deck for some reason (D8VE) - and there is room on the heads - to mill as necessary if compression is getting out of hand. Trying to keep it near 10:1

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thanks for starting this thread.
I'll be watching because I plan on building a 5.0 stroker for my next motor too.
Good choice. I've seen some here that want to compare the 351W to a 347 stroker. Once you drive both, you'll know the difference. The 351W is certainly has good torque, but the 347 is more fun to drive. I think that must be due to the heavier crank assembly of the 351W.

I'm old school though and will either use a carb or one of the new throttle body injection systems.

I'm looking forward to more on this thread.;)

OP
OP
Landho

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
Blubuckaro - my top end kit comes with a Dart carb intake, I'll have it for sale cheap in a few weeks

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Pistions

Switched JE flat top pistons (which weren't cheap), the heads are 62cc. My block has a tiny bit taller deck for some reason (D8VE) - and there is room on the heads - to mill as necessary if compression is getting out of hand. Trying to keep it near 10:1

Look into RaceTec Pistons (This is Wayne Brook's new company, he owned JE Pistons for many years.). Also, look into AutoTec, the other side of RaceTec.

OP
OP
Landho

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
Existing block was .040 over - boo... so, block shopping. May go the roller route.

We are going to clean, sonic test - and if it checks out - bore hone & line hone, check clearances, new rings, and otherwise remann with new camshaft & lifters this old flat tappet block and try to find it a new home. @ .040 it's a 308, heh... I opted to take the machine shops advice and not go .060 on it for a stroker.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
Yes, going 60 over is not recommended.

If you need to find a new block and going the 347 route and not a 408 then absolutely get a roller block.

Naturally aspirated and old school, a forged crank is overkill but if you want to pay extra go ahead. Also if you are going forged you better get some good flowing aftermarket aluminum heads and a high reving cam (again if not...wasting money on a forged crank).

Be careful on compression with iron heads. Going from even 9:1 to 10:1 compression you do not gain nearly the amount of power you think you do. Maybe 4-5%. So if you had a 400HP engine at 9:1 you would have about a 415-420HP engine at 10:1. But that little bump in compression means a lot more money at the pump.

OP
OP
Landho

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
Sourced a roller block that has never been bored and seems pretty solid... it's dropped off at machine shop but won't get looked at until Tuesday.

Ordered Roller cam and lifters.

The forged stuff is just the package the engine builder put together for this build, it wasn't necessary - but, $100 difference one way or the other.

I got Dart Iron Eagle heads... 62cc combustion/200cc runners - should be a good combo and should last longer than aluminum will. It's not like they were cheap, just what I chose.

Compression goal is still below 10:1.

You got a 408 stroker, and you talking to me about paying at the pump? heh... I am not too worried about fuel economy - maybe I can give it a Tweecer "eco mode" tune though.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
I get about 8 MPG no matter how or where I drive. But it is just a weekend cruising queen.

The cost difference between 87 and 91 or 93 octane is really what I was getting at. One point in compression could push you from 87 or 89 up to the premium easily. People think there is a rather significant horsepower gain from bumping the compression ratio a full point, but it is far from reality.

OP
OP
Landho

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
Just posted my new in box Cam Research camshaft in the For Sale section... switched to roller block so changing cam... http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2923420#post2923420

Heads are in... port matching begun. Also started getting the Explorer gt40 lower setup (plugging vacuum ports, added ACT, PCV routing, port matching, throttle body throat matchinf, etc...)

Attachments

• IMG_4470.jpg
    IMG_4470.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4420.jpg
    IMG_4420.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4424.jpg
    IMG_4424.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 46

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
When I did my 347 with flat tops and 62cc heads my CR was quickly heading to upper 10 lower 11 so we switched to a 4cc dished flat top and are now comfortably at 9.7 CR. I wanted 10:1 however with gas quality being all over the place and the ethanol blends only being given at a min not a max we decided to stay in the upper 9's so if the premium or mid grade is crap, the motor will still run without spark nock. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk