• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LS1 In an Early Bronco

OP
OP
E

EvilWS602

I believe the Sanderson Headers that Yeller suggested may work, but I believe that I discovered that one of the main culprits to the issue is that my father and I have no body lift. After some further research on these, most guys swapping motor and or transmissions have body lifts. Biggest problem there is the bed is sprayed fullnof bedliner and the floorboards are fiberglassed, sprayed, and cover in Dimond Plate aluminum already. But I belive if we lift the body we should achieve much more clearance and may even possibly fit a set of the Sanderson long tubes on there. So I'm pretty determined to lift the body my butting heads with the ol man there bc he doesn't want to un-do the work we've already done.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
This just saddens me. I guess to each his own but these Broncos are getting to rare to disgrace them like this. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

So thanks for those that had help or advice, as far as the rest, we'll gladly make an ass out of ya'lls Bronco when we're done. It's all fun guys. We do what we love.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that.

rmk57

It fails to amaze me that Ford engineers spent countless hours designing the Bronco to accept a 289-302 power plant and that somebody would go out of their way to fabricate, adopt, a different manufacture engine.

The Ls swap being cheaper than a SBF swap is a myth. By the time you get through with wiring harnesses, adapters, etc, you could probably have good running 347.

Save your ls for a blazer or bastardize a fox body, there dime a dozen. Save the Bronco for someone who appreciates it.

OP
OP
E

EvilWS602

If you fellas thinks it's a disgrace then please keep your opinions to yourselves, bc I promise when the old fashion guys see this and here and see how it performs it will still be respected. Even you guys will probably appreciate it. As far as being cheaper, I had wiring computer and a motor and there still is absolutely nothing cheap about completely rebuilding a truck from the ground up. And as for as the guy that doubts the comment, go to the tracks and show me how many Ford are out running the Chevys especially the old Ford stuff out running the LS market, then if they are even able to keep up please ask the budget on each. This will be a great truck than many will appreciate, if you don't, good for you, please keep it to yourself, if you actually have some advice or help I can use, please feel free to chine in.

tmbuehrer

Loc.
homer michigan
c9526f09d67d6d330df426a4bfdc8e49.jpg

This is a ls based bronco. Not sure the last time I saw a sbf ford do this. I currently have a 347 in my bronco that I spent about 2500 on it between the motor work and fuel injection to get it to a reliable 330 hp. A bone stock ls engine is somewhere in that area with lots more potential cheaply. I can currently can get multiple 100k 5.3 from the local scrap yard with a harness and computer for 500-1000 range with a 90 day warranty. Who cares what power plant goes in them. In the end if everyone had the same bronco it would be boring. Uniqueness is what makes my bronco mine.

RJGarza

Loc.
Karnes City
I'm restoring a '66 U13 that will be getting a 5.3 Chevy. Yes, it'll be crossbred which I'm totally fine with. I have yet to get around to swapping the motor onto the chassis but I'm excited to start working on it. I bought a complete 2001 Suburban to use as a donor. I've already parted or the suburban and made my money back so the drivetrain was basically free. Once the motor is out I'll be ordering some goodies from Texas Speed & Performance. I'm shooting for 400+ hp which shouldn't be difficult to achieve. H/C/I are already in the wish list lol.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
If you fellas thinks it's a disgrace then please keep your opinions to yourselves, bc I promise when the old fashion guys see this and here and see how it performs it will still be respected. Even you guys will probably appreciate it. As far as being cheaper, I had wiring computer and a motor and there still is absolutely nothing cheap about completely rebuilding a truck from the ground up. And as for as the guy that doubts the comment, go to the tracks and show me how many Ford are out running the Chevys especially the old Ford stuff out running the LS market, then if they are even able to keep up please ask the budget on each. This will be a great truck than many will appreciate, if you don't, good for you, please keep it to yourself, if you actually have some advice or help I can use, please feel free to chine in.

Ha! This is what I am thinking. I don't see everybody bitching about all the Ford 9" getting used for other makes at the drag strip and street. Bronco's aren't museum pieces. Have fun with the build.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia

Pardon me. I never meant to step on toes with my post. It does sadden me but that's just my opinion. As I said to each his own.

As for " we'll make an ass out of yalls bronco when we're done" that's the most arrogant remark I've heard in a long time. I'll guarantee there are alot of ford powered Broncos on this site you WILL NOT make an ass out of. I have a Chevy and I'm not knocking them but if they were all that ford would have been out of business a long time ago.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have Chevy brakes , a jeep transmission and Mazda seats in my bronco

The LS engines are cheap and easily do 400 HP just swapping the cam and valve springs
600 if you add a turbo

There is no ford engine I'm aware of that can do that reliably for even double the $$ of a junkyard LS

In right n the middle of swapping a LS 5.3 in my sons 76 K-10

$800 at the salvage yard with harness and computer and 90 day warranty

The same time Chevy designed the LS. Ford designed the spark plug spitting , cam phaser destroying 5.4 with half the HP is a LS

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Pardon me. I never meant to step on toes with my post. It does sadden me but that's just my opinion. As I said to each his own.

As for " we'll make an ass out of yalls bronco when we're done" that's the most arrogant remark I've heard in a long time. I'll guarantee there are alot of ford powered Broncos on this site you WILL NOT make an ass out of. I have a Chevy and I'm not knocking them but if they were all that ford would have been out of business a long time ago.

Yeah thats kinda eating at me too. The OP turns to this site for help. He is well received along with the usual ford chevy jousting. Then he starts running off at the mouth about how his shit will be better than any of our shit??? I guess he doesn't need any more help??? Let me know when you want to throw down Mr. Bow tie. I may need to go into my 40 year old pile of blue oval goodies and see what I can come up with.

rmk57

Op's on a budget, no Hemi, no Dohc Ford, no diesel, just a junkyard ls to fill the engine bay.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Asking for advice and then insulting everyone on the site is quite rude
"We'll make an ass out of all of you "

Nice going
I'm assuming the OP is a teenager or someone who spends alot of time on Facebook or somewhere ??

rmk57

It would be the same as me going over to the early Blazer/Jimmy forum and announcing to everyone that I'm going to be installing a 32v Cobra Ford.

Doubt it would go over that well.

Bottom line though it's his car to do or screw up the way he wants.

Randy

navalbronco66

]AFter almost being stoned to death, I have been working on the LS swap on mine. Had to take a couple of years rest though. Life gets in the way, marriage, kids, a mortgage..Anyways just started once again as I vowed this would be year of the bronco..LS swap wasn’t as easy, though some of the ford swaps aren’t as well..biggest issue was having enough space for a radiator, electric fan, and condensor as well. Only way my guy was able to do it was to cut the fire wall and move the motor back 4 inches. I’ve got so much time and effort invested if I had to do it again it would be a snap..
I’m using some generic block huggers headers. Didn’t have to notch the frame either. I’ll post some pics of my progress. Also I had to go with a new accessories setup from Holley. Ac compressor and alternator sit low in OE style and would not clear the frame. Holley stuff brings everything up high.

Been so long can’t even remember how to attach pics..send me a message and I’ll send you some pics of my build..maybe some insight as well to help you if you decide to go the LS route.