• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New cage don't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Well I'm very disappointed. Five weeks to get it, took it off the pallet and it looked wrong. So I took off the top and attempted to fit it anyway. Let's just say it's not even close. $1200 cage is not square, drivers foot plate is at least two inches higher than the passenger. Cage is at least an inch too wide as my top won't even go back on with it in. I'll be calling Monday and see how to get my money back. It simply won't fit my half cab. I'll see how it goes but I'm expecting I'll be out $1200.
47d246fdb717b08ec5348b8226783178.jpg
32ed8ac5e91169ad8b697b6c21aa141e.jpg
cd9129af0d3c83348f2716a4b5218601.jpg
edb28063d371faaabd021fdad10fba3f.jpg
596b432433ff530e45f9870fd86e9eda.jpg
9d067a6a3d68abf24d7c054ecd8b3171.jpg
462f74d1eea3afd662107ace35c46699.jpg
60e80b24a7860b37bcc7dea7cc665b23.jpg
d66d5ce4f877b5706f646cd7e2a49cf1.jpg
93a67ae7625c40dccb7383de226defcd.jpg

Bronco looks cool without the top on though!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I have not spoke to the manufacturer yet, but will be calling first thing in the am with this round of issues. If they refuse to do a refund of fix it someway I will be posting up. I think I've been more than patient waiting and I paid up front for the cage, then got hit with $400 shipping after that.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Damn it
Damn it
Damn it

The best looking half cab on CB deserves better.....

Keep us posted.

By the way,

I had to use ratchet straps to get my "Overhaulin" cage from JBG to fit in my wagon. Not as bad as yours but it did require some "adjustment".
Once it was tweaked into position I drilled holes and bolted it down. Month or so later when I needed to unbolt it ....it pretty much stayed in position. I didn't need ratchet straps the next time it was getting bolted in.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Are your body mount bushings in good condition? Reason I ask is I had a cage custom built to my bronco. My body mount bushings were not good. Found this out after the fact.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Well so much for my recommendation, but this is the first negative experience I've heard of. And I don't believe for a second that you're getting ready to get taken for $1200........

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Yes it's a BD top and the builder knew that when I ordered it. Said no problem it will fit.

As far as my slider I started with an 86 ranger pick up slider. There's a thread in here about that build.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Well so much for my recommendation, but this is the first negative experience I've heard of. And I don't believe for a second that you're getting ready to get taken for $1200........

i know huh, I know he will make it right. just really sucks though:(
I have no idea on how much flex there are at the foot mounts

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Here how far the Dr side pad is off the floor and where the pass side sits.
400291bf483217830de884110fc31347.jpg
658e3f19f8da512caa92867900fbefdb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
That f'ing sucks, I bought my roll bar from extremecustomfab and I have to weld mine together. I hope it goes together better then the way they put yours together! First your air compressor, now this, what a PIA! good luck on the refund I'm gunning for you man!

benT

Man- I'd be pissed too. There is definitely some serious fit issues there and I'm not overly impressed with the welding. The front bar looks like a serious knee-knocker- one if the reasons I'm going to go through the dash on mine. I'd send this one back and I'd look around and try to find a fabricator local to you. I'm never a fan of pre-built cages as every truck/car has its differences. For the $$ you spend, you definitely want it fit well. Good luck!

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Those Dodge 17's look nice, if that helps!

Thanks Baja, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I love the cage as far as design, I just want it to fit. Well work it out tomorrow.
And I do love them 17's myself. ;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sux for sure but guaranteed it'll be made right. ��

Keep us posted. It can never be easy with this addiction. Haha

cs_88

Bronco Guru
When I bought my family cage (different vendor) the mounting feet of the hoop behind the front seats sat well above the floor (similar to yours) when I first installed it. When I called the vendor about it they said it should pull down into place no problem and that was the case. I think I used some longer bolts to pull them down and then swapped them out with some shorter ones.
Good luck

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I can deal with the feet, that's minor. The cage is at least one inch too wide! My top won't go over it.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Oh wow, that sucks! Hopefully it gets sorted out for you. Have a protofab in mine that I added the back half to and it fits really good compared to the previous crap that I had to eat! Good Luck!

01JLH

If you have a nice level concrete floor, i would set the cage on it in the upright position and just see if it sets square on the floor. Don't just assume the floor is perfectly flat, use a long level and make sure. If it sets flat on the floor, then start looking at the body and determine where this out of square. Your truck is very nice, but these things are 35-40 years old. We all also know that during the welding process things get distorted as the metal is heated and then cools down. This is why it would sometimes be acceptable to pull it into place as someone else suggested.
Now, i will tell you what i know, last week i drove 2313 miles to go to Nebraska to pick up a new bronco body for my new build. It is a U14. I also have a BD half cab i am using. I took my top with me because i went by Oklahoma to pick up my inside the cab roll cage and a rack system for the bed to mount the spare tire. I had concerns about whether the cage would actually fit inside the top with the finished liner like BD does in them. I had discussed this at length with the builder at the Super Cellebration when i ordered the cage and rack. AT the Super Celebration before the last one, we went over to the BD display and discussed the differences. I believe he was under the impression that the internal dimensions of the BD half cab was sufficient to accommodate the cage. These cages fit the original metal half cab like a glove. I have had the inside cage from another vendor in a half cab and although it did come pre welded and fit in the cab, it just didn't compare to these cages in terms of fit. That half cab of mine had the more conventional style of fiberglass half cab top with no finished liner.
When we put my BD top on the cage setting in the U13 he uses to fit the cages, it would not go all the way down due to the difference in the top. I left my top with him and he has made some slight changes so that the cage will now fit into a BD half cab top.
I know that these issues can be frustrating but i believe that this builder will get you taken care of in a fair and acceptable manner. I also know that in the future this issue should not arise again unless the dimensions change on the BD tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.