• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Sport Explorer Trim Package

Galt72

Contributor
Yeah, I think yours had more red in the color than mine. How did you get the picture of mine to post? I could only get the link to post. Thanks

I uploaded your pic to photobucket and then attached it here.

Just took a look at my vin plate. Mine was color code Z hot ginger metallic / Lt Copper Met

Last edited by a moderator:

Galt72

Contributor
BTW DSO code 84 Home office Reserve. What's that mean?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
BTW DSO code 84 Home office Reserve. What's that mean?

I've seen that explained before somewhat on some Mustang and Cougar forums. They were used for Ford employees leases, test or show/display vehicles and seems like there were a couple other instances but I don't remember. Not sure if a Marti would shed anymore light on that or not.

Galt72

Contributor
I've seen that explained before somewhat on some Mustang and Cougar forums. They were used for Ford employees leases, test or show/display vehicles and seems like there were a couple other instances but I don't remember. Not sure if a Marti would shed anymore light on that or not.

Thanks, wish I'd known that before I painted it boxwood green %)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are two of them in those "unavailable" colors:

Tan:
image1628s.jpg

Red:
image1573s.jpg

Pics taken in '75 and '76 respectively.
Both had chrome trim, parchment dash and full floor mats, black dash pad. Tan cloth seats, similar door panels and Explorer dash plaque.
None of the body color coordinated parts that some others received.

We have (had) two '72 Explorers at WH recently that were both Orange, with color matched full mat, seats and door upholstery, dash pads and sun visors.
One actually had all of the above, but the visors were parchment.

Paul

OP
OP
662jcur

662jcur

Loc.
Clarksdale, MS
Thanks for the comments. I guess the Explorer package was available in any of the colors available for a particular year.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
No it was not. Each year they offered the package the colors were different for that year. Conversely. Each year they offered it on the bronco it was also offered on the whole truck line to include vans and rancheros. But. They offered the explorer package on the truck line in some years that it was not available on the bronco. The unique thing about the '72 bronco package is it was also offered with the sport package so u also got all the extra chrome and a full floor mat. The 72 explorer sport bronco had a unique tan interior. Sport door panels with tan vinyl instead of parchment. That means it had the mylar top on these door panels. The seats were a unique tan vinyl/cloth two tone. And the floor was a tan rubber front to back piece.

OP
OP
662jcur

662jcur

Loc.
Clarksdale, MS
No it was not. Each year they offered the package the colors were different for that year. Conversely. Each year they offered it on the bronco it was also offered on the whole truck line to include vans and rancheros. But. They offered the explorer package on the truck line in some years that it was not available on the bronco. The unique thing about the '72 bronco package is it was also offered with the sport package so u also got all the extra chrome and a full floor mat. The 72 explorer sport bronco had a unique tan interior. Sport door panels with tan vinyl instead of parchment. That means it had the mylar top on these door panels. The seats were a unique tan vinyl/cloth two tone. And the floor was a tan rubber front to back piece.

So, is a 72 Bronco Sport Explorer considered rare?

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
So, is a 72 Bronco Sport Explorer considered rare?

If I am reading this right. My 72 Explorer Sport was one of 488? All marti's from 72 Explorers I have seen show 3006 built, but I dont think that is all the ones that had both packages. Here is my Marti.. and a pick of the interior cloth "Special Ginger Random Stripe"

Attachments

• BRONCO MARTI REPORT.jpg
    BRONCO MARTI REPORT.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
662jcur

662jcur

Loc.
Clarksdale, MS
If I am reading this right. My 72 Explorer Sport was one of 488? All marti's from 72 Explorers I have seen show 3006 built, but I dont think that is all the ones that had both packages. Here is my Marti.. and a pick of the interior cloth "Special Ginger Random Stripe"

My interior is the same as yours. I ordered a Marti report for mine today.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac

One of 3,006 Explorers, and one of 488 in Hot Ginger. :cool:

The paint/trim code would cover the Explorer package and paint color both.

bchesley

I am so glad I found this thread. I just picked up a 72 Sport/Explorer with a light brown vinyl and tan patterned inserts on the interior. Paint code was T which is Candy Apple Red for that year. I was hoping that it was all factory and it sounds like it is. I will post pictures later this evening. Thanks for the info.

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am so glad I found this thread. I just picked up a 72 Sport/Explorer with a light brown vinyl and tan patterned inserts on the interior. Paint code was T which is Candy Apple Red for that year. I was hoping that it was all factory and it sounds like it is. I will post pictures later this evening. Thanks for the info.

That's a nice color combo!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't wait to see pics too! Love that combo.
There was one like that (but a '73) at our swap meet this last weekend. Took me back to my buddy's first EB back in '75. A '72 Explorer with only three years under it's belt. It was a beauty for sure.
We still keep an eye out for it too, in case we see it driving around somewhere.

IMG_0038 (Large).jpg

Have fun with yours. We still have an Orange one at WH for sale that has three tanks, the full parchment floor mat and all the goodies. Sweet ride but I already have two and no place to put another one.

Paul

TTownEP

We still keep an eye out for it too, in case we see it driving around somewhere.

I had to fix the colors on your two photos, it was bothering me ;D

JlKkWcj.jpg

ujm3Iir.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks! I still remember them in full color, but the pics finally started to fade about 10 years ago or so. Oh well... Darn old pics barely made it past the 30 year mark.
What crap.;)

Guess I'll have to dig out the old color slides that they came from the see if they're in better shape.

Did you use standard Windows included software? Or something special?

Paul