• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

accident GUYS

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ok this is to say GUYS be CAREFUL.
I'M a travling saleman & Delervery man . So today I'm Dropping off BIG CLUTCH for a truck 10 speed or 13 But a very big transmission.
So As I get there I'm One salesman & The Other Saleman is the one delivering the big trans . The core is swinging from a Motor crane. The shop owner is pulling parts off it that'll be needed on the new trans. There is always a part or two left on the core . SO 2 Salesman & the owner & 2 Of His Techs. The kid that had put the lift chain on it had not screwed the bolt in but about 4 turns .
AND THEN THE TRANS DROPPED . I felt the owner held it together rather good but every one was clear & noone got hurt . But you talk about a place where it could have went bad. It stripped the threads from the top plate on a 3/8 bolt.
.. so GUYS LOOK YOUR WORK OVER & THINK TWICE before you get under anything . Keep your hands & feet clear.
Don't Let ole FUBAR come to your party.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for posting this up! Its always good to get a reminder about safety. You never know when something is going to go south on you. Near miss accidents are a scary but great learning tool for all of us. I am glad no one was hurt, that could have gone bad really quick.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Glad this was accpeted in this manor.
I don't think I said but this was at a big shop that is the best in that county . They overhaul about 3 Big trucks a month . Plus my little tid bits .
Not a place where I'd have expected to see this happen. BUT That's why they are called accidents.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
One reason I seem to notice these . Back when I was 16 . I pulled a motor 312 from a Crown Vic . That was installed into a 56 T'Bird .
I got 50 bucks to pull that motor. I got it loose in record time .. I had a little shop I'd made from and old Chicken Coup. Well I HAD THE motor on the chain hoist. But It didn't come loose . I pried & Pulled nothing . But with each tug on the chain hoist. I was lifting the car off the ground . I didn't notice.
I Finanlly went & got a rock bar & gave one more tug. I was out from under the car . That Motor popped loose & that crown VIC HIT THE GROUND not 3 inches off the ground .
I looked at that & Said to ole self .. Daddy ain't here to give me a whipping ... SO Boy WHIP YOUR OWN ASS OVER THIS ONE. I've told that many times . But you really just can't be to safe.
& I've had several more But that one is still the closest I've came to my demise.
My Parents would not have came checked on me for hours . I know I'd have been way pasted dead by that time.

I've had a lot of close calls But that one was a bad one.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Next night or SO I may try & add some more Wrecks .
Now wrecks are what old cowboys call accidents. Mostly on those wonderful animals called HORSES. But anything farm or Ranch related ride makes for a good wreck.
You guys feel free to add some of yours . Lets keep the young ones from following in your footsteps.
STAY SAFE GUYS

Readhead

Never hit a hardened steel (king pin) with a sledge... sent a guy I worked with to the hospital to go get 14 stitches in his leg cuz it split and went flying that happened in the late 80s and to this day I remember it

rspd505

Contributor
Loc.
Rising Sun, IN
My dad taught me as much as he could when I was just a kid. He passed when I was only 15. One of the things he taught me was if you take a wheel off a car slide it under the rocker. That will keep the car off the ground in case it falls off the jack.

That advice saved my life. When I was 17 or 18 I was doing the brakes on dads old Ranchero. The driver rear bleeder broke off and I was under the car trying to get in a good position to get it out. I was lying on my back with the axle over my chest. I then saw the car move in slow motion as it rolled of the jack. The axle bounced off my chest but rebounded just enough to allow me to get out. We were poor and didn’t have jack stands so we had to improvise.

Thanks Dutch (dad)

Attachments

• 155E369B-223D-4B4A-90EB-2416486E6B46.jpeg
    155E369B-223D-4B4A-90EB-2416486E6B46.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I didn't have a ball joint press, so I tried heating up a knuckle on a F250 to break the ball joint loose.

The grease in the ball joint warmed up and expanded and shot the ball across the shop putting a sizable dent in a steel shelf.

Never do that again...

hucklburry rev2

I've been in overhead cranes for 20 years. I will stand beside our work, not under it.

I could tell stories....

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I've been in overhead cranes for 20 years. I will stand beside our work, not under it.

I could tell stories....

HA! Great tip!

Same here, in construction 35 years and have many stories. I usually didn't call them accidents but Human Stupidity. Always try not to be part of somebody else's HS.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Definitely got to keep your eyes open and pay attention w/that kind of stuff

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK & ANOTHER CUSTOMER got hurt.
.. He has a hugh shop that belonged to this father. Yes he is kind of a knot head. But at about 55 He seen=med to have it back together.
.. But he has a 18 wheeler pulled inside his shop . It'll hold about 5 18 wheelers inside at one time. I SAID IT'S A BIG SHOP.
.. so he lifts the trailler with 55000lbs on it. . One axle to work on a brake . He put a wood block under a 20ton jack.Lifts one wheel off the floor. THE WOOD BLOCK EXPLODED .. & Blew the 20ton jack out from under the truck. The Jack whacked him on his forehead. CRUSHED his skull. He flopped around & called 911 him self . He spent the weekend in the hospital in Ft Worth. Next week they are supposed to reconstructed him forehead.
I don't think he'll have it done. He looks as good as he ever did. & He says that's the 2nd time he's had his head busted open.
....... IF HE LANDED ON HIS FEET I GUESS HE'S GOT ABOUT 7 MORE TO GO.